loch1957

Home dropzone

OK I have a question. I just did my first jump at Texas Skydive Center in Lexington. I like the people and my instructors, however. Thats a 5 hour trip one way. I've looked on the web but most have weight restrictions. I'm 6'5 and 260, I'm a big boy. Do any of you know a place close to Dallas where I can complete my AFF ? I'm more than willing to buy a rig, wasn't sure if thats reason for refusing is they don't have one big enough. Any ideas? I'll drive if I have too but it be lot nicer find one close.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

That is literally the only DZ in Texas I refuse to jump at. Something about putting AFF students out in winds gusting over 30mph and that student being in a coma for a long time after that jump...

Anyways, Skydive I-35 is is Hillsboro. Texas Freefall is in Stephenville, Caddo Mills is still around and SD Dallas is in Whitewright.

I'm sure that you could find a nice home at one of those DZs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Gday

I havent jumped at any other DZ in the USA but I have been lucky enough to jump in Australia, Korea and Thailand and I can vouch for Skydive Dallas being fantastic. I have done 50 odd jumps with them in the last 6 weeks and have learned a lot and had a fantastic time - the load organisers are fantastic. My girlfriend did an AFF level one with them and enjoyed it and learned a lot (her first jump made me look like a clown).

I cant comment on the other places cos I never got to jump (though I did want to!)but Skydive Dallas is worth a look.

Downunder Dave

While I realize you're asking for something near Skydive Dallas... you can check out Oklahoma Skydiving Center in Cushing, OK or Skydive Airtight... just north of Tulsa. Both can help with Big Boy (Anvil) training.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

OK I have a question. I just did my first jump at Texas Skydive Center in Lexington. I like the people and my instructors, however. Thats a 5 hour trip one way. I've looked on the web but most have weight restrictions. I'm 6'5 and 260, I'm a big boy. Do any of you know a place close to Dallas where I can complete my AFF ? I'm more than willing to buy a rig, wasn't sure if thats reason for refusing is they don't have one big enough. Any ideas? I'll drive if I have too but it be lot nicer find one close.

You best bet is going to be to call the DZs and speak to them directly. While there is a concern for the weight and what the gear is certified for, gear is available for "big boys". Another concern to the DZ is your physical ability and well being. They want to make sure you can perform the tasks needed to insure you safety.

There are a few reasons for the weight limits, but most one of the most difficult to get around is the reserve parachute TSO (basically a federal certification required by law). There are not many things that we are regulated by federally in this sport, but this is one of them.

Most reserves are under C23c, which is certified at 254 lbs. Add in the weight of all the gear, and you end up with limits being in the 220-230 ranges.

Even the newer c23d canopies, most do not have real high limits on them- The PD Optimum, for example
From their website : "The Optimums are rated for maximum exit weights ranging from 220 pound to as much as 290 pounds!"

I see 3 ways to jump-
1. lose weight
2. find a DZ with c23d reserves, who also have higher weight limits.
3. find a bandit DZ willing to let you jump over the limit. :)

Option 3 is somewhat tongue in cheek, and not advised.

Yes.

They have a few that are at 300lbs and just over 300.

PD has a non Optimum that is rated higher also.

The key is finding a DZ that has them.

In my experience, the majority of DZ's have similar size/ tso reserve canopies in their rental and student gear.

Rigs are expensive, and most DZ's won't invest fully in huge gear that may only be used by, or needed by a small % of their students.

I know they are out there, but i think the majority of DZ's won't have them available.

I'm off Wednesday I'll call around. I honestly don't mind buying a rig, but I don't know what to buy. I need an instructor willing to help me, at least one willing to sit and help me figure out what I need. And be willing to teach me once I buy it. My weekends are my biggest problem. I don't get a two day weekend, they are split, i get Sundays and Wednesdays off.. thats reason for a close drop zone. Even the one in Lexington is hard. I get off at 8 on Saturday and have to be back to work at 6 on Monday, kinda a PITA. As for losing weight I am still going down, it was 340 lbs I'm a tad over 260 now, I lost for one reason, to jump.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Heh bandit DZs are sometimes shall we say interesting.....

Heavy rain? - totally jumpable (though painful)

40mph wind? Totally jumpable (backwards landings are interesting)

Uber turbulance? - Totally jumpable (but scary, saw my canopy collaspe at 1200ft once)

100% cloud cover from 13000ft all the way down to 1000ft? Totally jumpable.

Air space intrusion? - Totally jumpable, had a 206 go UNDER the run in once and missed the 6 way formation by about 200ft. It backfired though on the DZO as 3 of them quit jumping.

Ahh. Thats the DZ I grew up at. I've been involved in some stupid stuff. I wouldn't take it back, but I wouldn't put someone in the same situation. You learn fast, but its dangerous as hell. Good times.B|

If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

It is a definition that varies from person to person as the risk assessment everybody does and the risk tolerance of people is different.

I believe my risk tolerance is variable, and when things are done which exceed lots of people's risk tolerances and even when there are lifts going people won't go on them. Experience can however change ones risk tolerance!

Heh bandit DZs are sometimes shall we say interesting.....

What is your definition of a bandit DZ?

I see 3 ways to jump-
1. lose weight
2. find a DZ with c23d reserves, who also have higher weight limits.
3. find a bandit DZ willing to let you jump over the limit. :)

Option 3 is somewhat tongue in cheek, and not advised.

;-)