stratostar

DZO's who post classified ads seeking staff

Ok I know I have personally posted on this subject before, but I can't find the old thread to bump it....

Here is the deal, I can't understand why it is a dz owner or manger would post an ad like this:

For Sale: Full Time AFF/Tandem Instructors
Price:

Year round Southern DZ full time AFF/Strong Tandem Instructors

When you click on the posters profile you get nothing there as well. First thing I find wrong with this, what are you hiding from us that your too ashamed to post the name of the dz, the state it's in or the city it's in?

It could be that they know it's a shit hole that 75% of the industry wouldn't want to work at, like skyride dz's or they just made the news in the industry by crashing their plane or other industry reason why one would not provide basic info.

I can understand not wanting nine million phone calls or emails from those seeking the work... however if in a want ad for a job it says NO PHONE CALLS or other instructions to apply... the smart mother fuckers you want working for you will follow your requests, because they want the job. The dumbass ones will still call because their too stupid "get it".

Why dose this piss me off? Well for starters, if I was interested in relocating or seasonal hire, as a dad with a small child and other factors, there is a hell of a lot that goes into making a move or leaving home for months at a time. A person who is a real professional will need to make plans and research the local area in question for many many reasons.

By providing basic info to interested parties in your ad, you not only save me time, but you save your time by not having me contact you to ask one question......

WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU LOCATED?

I could know right off the bat if a location would work for me or not in thinking about a move across the country or a few states away. There are many factors to consider, yes most tent and trailer living staff who live the "life style" of dz bums might not care where, they just move the rv or tent to the next ghetto.

It's funny how after many years in the sport wearing almost every hat you can sport on the dz, it cracks me up too see DZO's who keep using the lazy bums who "life style'in" it and then bitch because their staff suck and party all the time.... might explain the continued staff turn overs.

I do a lot marketing for small companies and even larger one, some of my past clients are DZ's large & small. This type of ad posting is really a piss poor job of seeking good help. For many reasons it makes people question right off the bat what and why are you hiding the basic info.

Now for the record, I'm not interested in bashing the poster of the ad I used for an example, in fact I'm still waiting to find out where the hell this place is, the south is a large place and I would like to research new places to move too and work & jump, I read the ad's looking for areas I might be interested in, but I will need to look at school, crime, housing cost, day care, rent prices, taxes, on site living..... a whole bunch of shit needs to be considered.

So the point is DZO's & mangers, if your going to take the time to seek out new staff you want to stick around long term, then put some effort into your search please by providing those seeking a new place to relocate too the tools to decide if it's worth taking the time to contact you because your location meets the needs of those who might be moving long distance to come to work & live there.

For example: Skydive Hawaii hiring TDM and AFF, one way airfare for west coast for 6 months comment.

That ad tells me a lot, I can know right off the bat the weather, location and transportation needs along with the ratings they seek. I can know right off the bat how much of a pain in the ass it would be to move to Hawaii and if it didn't work out, well now your kind of stuck there unless your rich or have no family in tow to move a household with kids.

Where as, skydive Dallas hiring, well I still know the weather year round, location and it's three states away making for a possible short term or seasonal hire over a major move, hell maybe I need to rent a house out because the market sucks ass and selling right now would not be a smart move.... like I said there are many factors for those seeking work to consider before contacting you.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Ok I know I have personally posted on this subject before, but I can't find the old thread to bump it.... Here is the deal, I can't understand why it is a dz owner or manger would post an ad like this:

"Do not attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence."

I think there are just a lot of people that don't know how to write a decent advertisement. I mean, how many rigs for sale do you see where the seller doesn't even include the size person it was made for?

Or they are in a hurry. Or they just don't take the internet seriously, so they don't bother to take any time with anything related to it.

I know what you mean. When I was job hunting a few years ago I was surprised by prospective employers who refused to give me a reasonable income estimate.
ME: I am interested,...questions,...how much per tandem, AFF,... how many jumps can I expect over the course of the season?
THEM: We pay X per,.... last year TMs were getting Y on most weekends in August.
ME: Sounds good during peak season. I am interested in what I can expect over the whole season?
THEM: (chirp, chirp, chirp)

This happened with various centres.

fair enough, but as dz manger hat wearing person, I wouldn't worry too much about their feelings if they fuck ups and I got to seek out new staff.... it might be the wake up call some of them need before a swift kick in the ass out the door.

There any number of reasons a DZO might not want folks to know what DZ is being referenced.

House cleaning - might not want those about to get canned to know that the end is near, lest the DZ find itself suddenly under-staffed.

Strategic information protection - might not want the competition to know that the DZ is under-staffed or give the competition a chance to take steps to hang on to its staff.

Disgruntled backlash - might not want former (or soon to be former) staffers to spread falsehoods to folks they know that are looking for a position that might apply.

The list could go on, but that expresses the concept. There are many businesses in every industry that keep recruiting and hiring efforts under wraps. Why would you expect a DZ to be any different?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

There are many businesses in every industry that keep recruiting and hiring efforts under wraps. Why would you expect a DZ to be any different?

You know I don't to a degree, however throw a bone, you know Texas is real BIG, could be any dz, but narrows the map a great deal over "southern dz", I've sent a msg asking where for the very reasons I posted about.... still have no reply.

It could also be used to find out what Staff Members are looking for other regional based employment by responding to the Ad.

Or, a Staff Member looking for greener pastures(sarcasm) to potentially start their own DZ and want to see what Talent is interested in their general area of opening a DZ?

I think this conversation could be very Open-Ended, but I wanted to throw in my devil's advocate side. It is my experience, that there is usually a huge lack of communication in the Skydiving World.

Bryan Cavage
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru

There are many businesses in every industry that keep recruiting and hiring efforts under wraps. Why would you expect a DZ to be any different?

You know I don't to a degree, however throw a bone, you know Texas is real BIG, could be any dz, but narrows the map a great deal over "southern dz", I've sent a msg asking where for the very reasons I posted about.... still have no reply.

"Southern DZ" means Texas? Unless I'm mistaken, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, and even Florida could commonly be referred to as "southern".

And if you contacted the DZ through dz.com using your screen name, I wouldn't expect them to answer you if they are following this thread.

If I'm missing something please enlighten me.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I'm mistaken, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, and even Florida could commonly be referred to as "southern".

That was the point..... a person could post the state, unless your the only dz in a state, then it could any one dz in that state, yet provide enough info for someone to decide if they want to live in or work in bum fuck Arkansas for a season.

That is if your a DZO who is worried about saying where your located by city or dz name... regardless pretty stupid to not provide some basic info to the masses IMHO.

I'm mistaken, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, and even Florida could commonly be referred to as "southern".

That was the point..... a person could post the state, unless your the only dz in a state, then it could any one dz in that state, yet provide enough info for someone to decide if they want to live in or work in bum fuck Arkansas for a season.

That is if your a DZO who is worried about saying where your located by city or dz name... regardless pretty stupid to not provide some basic info to the masses IMHO.

So you are asking for the DZ to limit its anonymity by more specifically identifying its location. Kind of contrary to the DZ's effort, don't you think? Strat, it seems you are splitting hairs over an unimportant point.

If the DZ wants to remain anonymous, so be it. If you don't like the strategy, don't apply.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It's not this one ad per say, there is always a shit load of them on here, this one I posted is an example of common listings.

I'm saying it's stupid, you clearly don't agree, that's all cool, your not looking to relocate to a place of your choice at this time, I get that.... some of us are or could be and have been following the ad on here and find it very old to keep seeing that crap, people are busy, research is good, I can tell a lot of the realistic chance I could go to XYZ area based on location such as: State. If the area is realistic in distance and personal likes, the next set is research on the area, the very last step, for me, is contacting the DZO or dz to apply.

Your right, I don't normally bother to apply of inquire these kind of ad's, I find unprofessional in today's skydiving industry to act that way when seeking professionals for hire, IMHO:P.