guineapiggie101

tunnel time

Is it bad to get back in the tunnel, even though I just got my "boot" off my broken leg yesterday? I want to get back in the swing of things and decided to schedule 15 min of tunnel time with some training tomorrow evening.

Leg is healing well. I can walk without the boot now, although leg is still not that strong yet.

Ok, first, I'd say talk to your doc, or MAYBE pm one of the skydiving docs here, and second, I would mention it when you book your tunnel time so the tunnel instructors can prepare, and prepare you for any changes, or lack of mobility or balance in either of your legs that might cause them to have to help you.

If that's all a go, get back on the horse, train, and HAVE FUN!!

Welcome back!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Is it bad to get back in the tunnel, even though I just got my "boot" off my broken leg yesterday? I want to get back in the swing of things and decided to schedule 15 min of tunnel time with some training tomorrow evening.

So, if you've already scheduled it, why are you asking?

Leg is healing well. I can walk without the boot now, although leg is still not that strong yet.

What's the rush?

And what does your doctor say? If you go unstable in the tunnel, and kick something, is that going to set back your healing time frame? Is your leg strong enough such that you can assume good body position for fifteen minutes?

This was a kind of "on the whim" for me decision[:/]. I tend to be like that sometimes (make decisions on the fly). Someone was looking to share some tunnel time with, and I thought that would be something fun to do.

Doc cleared me for tandem jumping so I would think tunnel shouldn't be bad either.

When I sit back and think it through, sometimes I'm not sure if I make the right decisions. Oh well.

Leg is pretty ok. It isn't 15 min straight tunnel time. It's more, 1 min in, then 2 min, etc. I can walk on the leg (was on my feet on and off, for a big part of the day today).

I hope I don't kick something. I can land pretty well on my legs I think. Gonna wear some pretty supportive shoes tomorrow.

Yes, I know I push things. I'm also hotheaded and do things on impulse (not always a good thing).

But I miss sky things (tandem jumping is good but doesn't fill the whole need)

And what does your doctor say? If you go unstable in the tunnel, and kick something, is that going to set back your healing time frame? Is your leg strong enough such that you can assume good body position for fifteen minutes?

+1, the tunnel walls are hard, and they don't move. (don't ask how I know this B|)

I know some tunnels have rules as to casts and physical limitations, so talk to them, IF you decide to risk it.

IMO, I wouldn't push it. wait a little now, or wait a lot overall because you rushed it. If you set yourself back, you're just going to kick yourself (with the good leg)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Is it bad to get back in the tunnel, even though I just got my "boot" off my broken leg yesterday?

I don't think it's time to start having fun until the orthopedic doctor tells you that running and contact sports like rugby, hockey, and American football are OK.

While your doctor probably has no clue about the potential collisions involved in skydiving/vertical wind tunnel use he's almost definitely treated high school and college athletes who participate in more mundane sports.

I hope I don't kick something. I can land pretty well on my legs I think. Gonna wear some pretty supportive shoes tomorrow.

Besides going unstable and kicking something, I'm thinking specifically of when you track to the doorway, grab the edge, and swing forward and land on your feet. Misjudge, and you: (a) kick the sides of the opening (or below); and/or (b) drop from some distance and land on your foot.

Can your foot take that?

Yes, I know I push things. I'm also hotheaded and do things on impulse (not always a good thing).

As a general principle, if you recognize what you are doing is not a good thing, why not stop doing it?

Even if you booked tunnel time on a whim, now that's over. You've got a day to think about it. If you think it's a good idea, that the benefits outweigh the risks, then go for it. If you think it's a bad idea, that the risks outweigh the benefits, then cancel. But make a conscious and considered choice, weighing the risks and benefits.

from an earlier post today: " I am boot-FREE now!!!!! Yay!!!! I have to take it easy on my foot still though. Fracture is healing well."

It's probably best to hide the injury from the tunnel coaches. If you backslide or spin into a wall and damage the ankle, they won't need to feel guilty for something they didn't know in advance (and probably wouldn't allow)
Do you genuinely want to put an instructor into that position again? [:/]

In some ways, you remind me very much of Sangi a few months ago.

Skydiving is the king of all novelties, in the 'real world'. It's a privilege to be in 'jumpable' shape. Guard your health and protect it vigorously so you can jump again in a few months, not make the same mistakes and enjoy walking around safely on 2 feet!

Anything obsessed over loses value. Worry about your leg, rehab, strengthening it and start working out before you hit the sky again. One bad landing or tunnel wipe out and you'll have innumerable problems as you age.

Skydiving can be like full contact football without pads or a referee. Get ready for the rush, not the soft landing into a steady wind.

My 2 cents.

In some ways, you remind me very much of Sangi a few months ago.

Damn. I've been following these adventures for a while and have been biting my tongue waiting to see which direction she would finally go.....BAM! You nailed my thoughts exactly.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239