dekac99

Sabre 2 - Wing Loading

Sorry for bothering you with this probably stupid question, but I would really apreciate if someone could tell me how big is the differenca flying 1.0 vs 1.2 wing loaded canopy (e.g. Sabre 2 170sqf vs. Sabre 2 190sqf).

Thank you and blue skies.

One of the determining factors would be your present experience and piloting skills, which we don't know, and numbers alone don't show.

Ask YOUR AFF instructor what he recommends for you. Asking people (even experienced people) ona public forum is not the BEST way to help you determine your canopy progression.

First off - 1.0 to 1.2 doesn't tell the whole story. A Sabre2 107 at 1.2 is a completely different animal than a Sabre2 190 at 1.2.

That being said, if you're talking about the difference between a S2 170 and a 190, the differences you will see are:

1. The 170 will require a more dynamic flare
2. It will turn significantly faster and lose more altitude in the turn
3. It will glide faster but at about the same angle; wind penetration will be slightly better.
4. Downwind landings will be much harder to pull off without injury.
5. You will be more prone to the "side gust caught me at the last minute!" error (putting your hand down during the flare.)

It can be life and death or even nothing. Its up to the pilot under it.

For US? Some guy are having nice chart and data not to exceed.

For some other countries? <100 jumps? Stay under WL 1.3! WL 1.2 can be fine.

Know your limits! You can break you leg or femur under a canopy @ WL 1.0. Fear your canopy! When you think you know everything she would bite you hard.

Oh, I have started to fly a Merit170 @ WL 1.2 with 120 jumps.

I jumped a saber 2 260 at 1:1 Wl
And now I jump a saber 2 230 at a 1:1.24 WL.

At the higher wing loading it will feel a lot faster the first few times you jump it that will eventually become normal with more jumps. The front raiser pursuer is considerably less and the canopy turns faster and deeper.
I can get the 230 cranking if I want to. With the added speed the flair is touchier as well.
I have found my self over flaring a few times and climbing a good 10-15 feet.:P
Much better penetration, Still the same great openings. Just every thing happens faster.

I will also tell you this. Under the 260 I felt I would have to be really stupid to be able to seriously hurt my self or get killed I feel it is a lot easier to fuck my self up under the 230.

This has been my personal experience, I am in no way an expert.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I believe the difference is .2

Actually, I DON'T believe the WL difference is .2. dekac99 stated that the WL with a Sabre 190 was 1.0. Well, if they jumped a 170, their out-the-door weight would still be about the same (ok, maybe subtract a few ounces for the smaller canopy), but the WL for the 170 should be 190/170 or 1.1176, which is much closer to 1.1 than 1.2.

I’ve jumped both canopies at very similar WL. I’ll say the 170 felt a lot faster than the 190. The first time I jumped the 170 on a no wind day my eyes were so big on landing that spectators commented on it. I test jumped a Sabre2 150 recently. It felt MUCH faster than the 170.

The higher the WL the faster you will go. The smaller the canopy the faster turns will be regardless of WL. My opinion I that if you are in doubt go with the bigger canopy. You can easily put a hundred or two hundred jumps on it and sell it for almost what you paid for it and then downsize the smaller canopy.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP