moth

WARP and FS1

what exactly is warp?

World-wide Approved Relative work Progression... or something.

It's basically a training system to get you up to speed on basic RW flying. It takes you from bob-the-just-qualified to a skydiver capable of taking part in RW jumps, turning points and joining formations. It focuses on flying your body relative to others without taking them out/becoming/causing a danger to others... and also on getting out of other's way.

It involves 10 (I think.. could be 7... been a while) jumps focusing on a different element of belly flying. They work up from 2 way drill dives with an instructor to 3-ways and 4-ways.

what do i need to do to achieve fs1

6.4. Formation Skydiving (FS)

6.4.1. To obtain Grade 1 in Formation Skydiving (FS1) the parachutist must, be introduced to FS by a CCI/Advanced Instructor nominated FS1 Grade parachutist or equivalent of proven FS instructional ability, have received a full safety brief and demonstrated the ability to:

a) Control fall rate.

b) Control horizontal movement, (forwards, backwards and sideways).

c) Achieve ‘docking’ techniques.

d) Turn in place.

e) Dive and approach a target.

f) Complete four points of 4-way FS.

N.B.(1) No more than one Category 8 jumper per group, all other jumpers in any group must be FS1 parachutists.

N.B.(2) Training progression programmes such as World-wide Approved Relative-work Progression (WARP) and Skydive University are acceptable for training for FS1, provided all the requirements of sub-para 6.4.1. (above) are met.

Basically a 4 point 4-way is the major requirement... but in reality it requires you to be able to demonstrate all the skills taught you during a WARP program. So long as you can demonstrate (or can show in your log book that you have demonstrated) all the elements of the WARP program (those listed above) you can get your sticker even if you simply learned this on your own or with your buddies.

That said, without doubt the best way to do this is through a proper WARP program. You will be a much better skydiver for it in the end.

(Some DZ's have much more stringent requirements. For example, I got my FS1 at Weston who require 2 x 6 point 4-ways... I got it even though I sucked (thanks partly to Purplebadger who I've just noticed below, as he was on my FS1 dive) and I'd imagine some places simply won't care unless you've been using their instructors to do their form of WARP.

WARP is the Worldwide Approved Relativework Process (or something like that).

It contains: Forward movement, Fast/Slow fall, left/right turns, 180 turns, 360 turns. Then you need to complete 2 three point three ways and then a four point four way. Also worked on is your exits and then tracking at the end of the dive.

Speak to your instructors and get them to recommend someone to work with and try to make sure that whoever ends up being coach is jumping with a camera so that you can get a debrief which is actually worth something!

The point behind WARP is to make sure that you have the basic skills necessary in order to safely jump with a group of people, however once you do get your FS1 then be sensible about joining jumps that are tailored to your ability! i.e. don't pull together a 10way with 9 other newly qualified FS1 jumpers :D

btw you don't HAVE to do warp to get your FS1. Some people do Skydive University, others follow other programmes. Warp is one of the systems put together detailing all the bits you would need to learn to confidently do a 4 pt 4 way and dive to pin for your FS1.

Saying that, people getting a FS Coach rating tend to refer to themselves as warp instructors (which was the old name for the same rating) whether they follow the warp system strictly or not.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe