Gabesalinas

Trying to understand what gear to purchase!

36 jumps and counting. Working towards my b license and hopefully will be there in a month or two. I am starting the search for a used setup but I don't quite understand what size gear to buy. so, any help here would be greatly appreciated. I Am 5.9 and 150 pounds. I don't want a pure speed rig, but don't want a slug either. I would prefer a medium sized chute that I could learn to fly fast until I am ready for a really fast canopy. I've been jumping a 210 that my local dz lets me borrow......I think I want something a bit faster.
Help me comprehend what I need!

Gabe,

No one here can really provide the answers you seek. The masses here will most likely recommend you discuss gear/canopy choices with your instructors, as they know you best.

I will say this however in regards to your canopy "I don't want a pure speed rig, but I don't want a slug either" Learn how to fly the slug first!! Folks that rush with their canopy progression without seeking proper instruction and coaching are prone to breaking themselves. Please take the time to read the canopy articles here:

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Canopy_Control/index.shtml

Good Luck and stay safe,

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

>I've been jumping a 210 that my local dz lets me borrow......I think I want something
>a bit faster.

At your loading I'd suggest making a bunch of jumps on someone's 190 then buying a 170 if that goes well. A 1:1 loading is generally a good canopy to learn on provided you're doing OK on the 190, can stand up your landings, can land in slight downwinds etc etc.

In general you'll want a canopy like a Safire2, Sabre 2, Pilot, Spectre, something like that. They are medium performance canopies by today's standards and are commonly available in those sizes. However there are a lot of canopies in that performance range out there and I'd suggest you try whatever you can get your hands on to see what you like.

In general you'll want a reserve about the same size as your main. Don't go significantly smaller; your reserve is your last chance and shouldn't be something you're scared of.

Almost every container out there will work for you provided you fit it and the container fits your canopies. Some (Racer) will be hard to find AAD's for due to their somewhat unusual reserve setups; they need 2 cutters instead of 1.

I'd strongly recommend an AAD, a used Cypres 1 is probably your best bet.

But above all try whatever gear you can borrow and get someone you trust to evaluate how you are landing, to see if you're ready to go smaller. Also if you do see a rig you like have a rigger look it over for things you might miss, like loose grommets, velcro webbing damage or broken stiffeners. Such things can be fixed but will cost you.

>I've been jumping a 210 that my local dz lets me borrow......I think I want something
>a bit faster.

At your loading I'd suggest making a bunch of jumps on someone's 190 then buying a 170 if that goes well. A 1:1 loading is generally a good canopy to learn on provided you're doing OK on the 190, can stand up your landings, can land in slight downwinds etc etc.

In general you'll want a canopy like a Safire2, Sabre 2, Pilot, Spectre, something like that. They are medium performance canopies by today's standards and are commonly available in those sizes. However there are a lot of canopies in that performance range out there and I'd suggest you try whatever you can get your hands on to see what you like.

In general you'll want a reserve about the same size as your main. Don't go significantly smaller; your reserve is your last chance and shouldn't be something you're scared of.

Almost every container out there will work for you provided you fit it and the container fits your canopies. Some (Racer) will be hard to find AAD's for due to their somewhat unusual reserve setups; they need 2 cutters instead of 1.

I'd strongly recommend an AAD, a used Cypres 1 is probably your best bet.

But above all try whatever gear you can borrow and get someone you trust to evaluate how you are landing, to see if you're ready to go smaller. Also if you do see a rig you like have a rigger look it over for things you might miss, like loose grommets, velcro webbing damage or broken stiffeners. Such things can be fixed but will cost you.

I'm with Bill on wingloadings. There's a common and often ill-fated thought in the sport today that jumpers need to get up to a certain "speed" - and hence wingloading - as quickly as their skills will even come close to allowing it. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Even a moderately loaded canopy of today's design will have a healthy forward speed allowing penetration into some pretty stiff winds, so a wingloading needed to jump in 25+ winds isn't really necessary unless you plan to (foolishly) do that anyway.

Light wingloadings aren't killing us. Heavy wingloadings combined with a lack of experience and/or judgement are. Take your time and learn how to fly bigger canopies like a champ before stepping down. You will be glad you did. So will your family and your wallet.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

What he said... Nobody has ever looked up after chopping their main and said, "You know.. I could have gone with a much smaller reserve."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

until I am ready for a really fast canopy.

What is your idea of a really fast canopy?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am