Squeak

Smart phone log books

one of the other threads prompted this Q.
I am using Skydive Log, an electronic log book on my iPhone, I stooped using my paper log book when it filled up at about 1000 jumps.
Are there any dropzones out there the you know about who would NOT accept this version of a log book.

I has no signatures (but can be signed if needs be), but neither do many of my paper logged jumps.
It does have EVERYTHING a standard paper logbooks has.
this is the android version
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I spoke with a BOD member about this very subject over the weekend. It was discussed and most seem to be in favor of supporting a rule change to allow these apps. From what I gather from folks who attended the meeting, the issue didn’t gain any traction because 1- there was no formal proposal before the board, and 2- they were busy with other shit.
I’m currently in the process of drafting a formal proposal for the summer board meeting. There’s no reason not to use the electronic logbooks.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

After over 5000 jumps, an audible, a Neptune, and a log book - all with different numbers.....
I decided a long time ago keeping up with my numbers and a log book no longer really matter.
I do keep a log book handy to get friends and VIP's to sign my log book....but with a D license and a handful of ratings....what's the purpose of having one?

I haven't logged in my manual log book for the past 300 jumps. I find it rather pointless since my handwriting is essentially illegible and takes much more time too so why bother?

I use the electronic logbook, takes less time, legible to everyone and easy to look up specific jumps like FF or wingsuiting, reserve repack reminder, your lowest pull or highest pull, highest exit altitude, keep track of cutaways if any......you get the point.

Just back up a copy to your comp/harddrive/icloud and you'll never have to worry about "losing" your logbook.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Do you download your info or back it up in some other way?

I don't log anything, but I do have a Protrack. I've owned the Protrack for over a decade with no problems. In that time, I've gone through a dozen cell phones and half a dozen PCs, and didn't always get all my info off the old machines before getting the new ones.

The difference is the Protrack is used onyl for jumping and stays with my jumping stuff. The cell and PC get used everyday for a ton of different things, and are more likely to be lost or broken.

I guess I'm just suggesting that if you value your logbook info, be sure to back it up in some way.

but with a D license and a handful of ratings....what's the purpose of having one?

Reasons for me to keep a log book:

-I can verify currency when traveling.
-I can verify that I have sufficient # of instructional jumps in the last year to renew my ratings.
-I can verify that I have sufficient # of specific kinds of jumps for new ratings.
-It helps me answer the common question "How many jumps do you have?"
-It can be fun to look back and see what I have done.

I don't get ALL jumps signed.
I typically get some signed immediately before I intend to travel to a different DZ.
I also tend to get special jumps that I may need to prove in the future signed (such as for future ratings).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Other than Deisel, not one person has even bothered to adress the question:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Perris is the oft-cited example of a dropzone that absolutely, positive, no exceptions requires paper logbooks. I've been there multiple times, and as far as I can remember, the logbook was only ever required on my first visit. Since then, I've been able to just show up and jump. But there's been many posts on here where people showed up with years of experience and lots of jumps that were verifiable in other ways, and were still required to produce a signed paper logbook.

So that might be one example where an electronic logbook of any kind might not be accepted.

I can only recall a handful of other dropzones (of the 25 or so that I've visited in the U.S.) that even check logbooks (typically to verify currency), and some of those (Skydive Oregon is one example) stop checking logbooks altogether once you have a D license.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Is padding jump numbers possiable with the electronic version of a log book?

What me worry:ph34r: I'm not jumping anymore but if the yutes want to get a head start on their W/L, rateings, etc would it be possiable?

IMO that could be a problem even if they read all the books and watch Utube:|

R.

What me worry:ph34r: I'm not jumping anymore but if the yutes want to get a head start on their W/L, rateings, etc would it be possiable?

R.

Hi Krip, yeah it's just as easy to pad an "E" log book as a paper one.
Cant see the value in it myself.
You need to be able to back up your shit with a bit of skill. If you pad you log, ya better be above average in the air.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am using Skydive Log, an electronic log book on my iPhone, I stooped using my paper log book when it filled up at about 1000 jumps.
Are there any dropzones out there the you know about who would NOT accept this version of a log book.

I has no signatures (but can be signed if needs be), but neither do many of my paper logged jumps.

Not answering your question:P

But how secure is the data? Is it only stored on the phone? I've been through the pain of losing a log book and it would be nice to have a backup.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

R.

Depends on the type of electronic logbook.
If you are talking about spreadsheet, mobileapp an similar types then yes you can.
On ProTrack, Jumptrack, Paralog you can do it but it will show as a "fake" jump.
For example browsing trough the ProTrack the jumpno will not show up.
In Jumptrack there will not be any freefall data, and I believe Paralog shows the same.

I have jumps that don't have the freefall data in Jumptrack but thats because it's CREW jumps.

But in a paper logbook you can write whatever you want.

So in my opinion the paper logbook is easier to fake and has less "value".
I keep both a paper and a electronic copy.
If I lose my paper logbook I have it all in my computer, and I can recreate a new logbook.

Not answering your question:P

But how secure is the data? Is it only stored on the phone? I've been through the pain of losing a log book and it would be nice to have a backup.

* Log jumps with jump #, date, DZ, aircraft, gear, jump type (bellw/rw, freefly, etc), exit/deployment altitudes (feet or meters), delay, cutaway, notes, and a diagram!
* Have licensed skydivers sign entries in your logbook using the touchscreen
* View stats including total jump count, total freefall time, cutaways, etc
* Manage your gear including components/serial #'s, and service reminders (i.e. repack due next week)!
* Manage your DZ's, set one as your home DZ
* Manage your aircraft, with 15 or so built in aircraft
* Calculate wing loading, desired canopy size, and extra weight needed to target a desired wing loading
* Import/export for backing up, transferring, and printing your logbook
* Logbook history section for entering previous freefall time and number of cutaways.

The iPhone app backs up on any other Apple device you may own. It is also remotely stored on iCloud. It works the same way as photos, music, or any other file you download.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.