Bandito

Ambulance chasers?

Obelixtim made a (wise, in my opinion) suggestion that legal discussions about real skydiving incidents shouldn't take place on the internet.

You're obviously very interested in Colorado skydiving (48 posts, nearly all of them about that DZ), and you're anonymous. Ergo, some suspicion. Obelixtim has over 1400 posts, on a variety of topics. I.e. a much larger body of work on which to judge his motives, and, frankly, a name, and people who know him.

Me, I'll post on anything, so it's a little hard to accuse me of having "an agenda." :)
And yeah, I do think that legal discussions about specific incidents don't belong on the internet.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

bandito The tests for being an employee are the usual ones: direction, how you are paid, use of equipment, etc.. It is usually the DZ wanting to deny the employee relationship, not the other way around.

I posted my comments to explain the diff between a worker's comp and a tort action. That's it. I cringe when a lawyer sues a waivered sport business. People should be able to choose to accept risk, and businesses shouldn't be sued when an accident occurs. Our litigious society is repugnant to me.

Walt, I absolutely agree with you regarding the acceptance of risk. Big boys and girls should be able to make their own choices. However, Tandem is unlike any other student (or experienced) jump because the student is completely at the mercy of the instructor. Imagine if the airlines made you sign a waiver to exempt them from liability...

Unfortunately, Every DZO and TM should know that the lawyers will come after them if something goes wrong. Even more so if there is any perception of negligence or cover up.

A quick question/comment on workers comp...

Other industries have used the 1099 and "independent contractor" route to eliminate the need for expensive workers comp premiums. However, insurance companies are pretty savvy. They can require a business to show proof that all its "independent contractors" possess their own workers comp policies as a stipulation to that businesses policy.

We may get to the point where each TI (independent contractor) will need to purchase his/her own worker comp policy. Something that will be very difficult to do, much less afford.

So, if we're going to lawyer bash, maybe we should take a swing or two at the insurance companies? ;)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I've been an independent contractor (not for a DZ), and my employer for darn sure didn't require any insurance of any type.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)