daleskydive

what riser length should I get 23" or 24"

I'm wondering which risers to order, 23' or 24" for my katana 120. The person I bought it from had 24" risers. Can you also elaborate on why I should pick a particular length. I love to turf surf .And now for the people who are thinking that I didnt listen when I was told to put some lead on to jump my xfire 139. I tried that and my back and knees did'nt like it at all. I'm looking forward to peoples answers.

Riser length is determined by the designer as they play a part in defining the arc-anhedral. If the risers are too long then the top skin will have a bigger than desired bulge. If too short the bottom skin will bulge. Both affect the performance. Ask your manufacturer what is correct for that particular canopy. One inch won't make much difference.

Why harder? One reason:

You're going 120mph. Pilot chute pulls bag off your back, and by the time everything is at line stretch, the bag 10' away, the pilot chute has had time to slow the bag say to 80 mph (I'm making numbers up). You feel the snatch force as a 5+ lb bag going 40 mph away from you hits "the end of the rope".
Do the same with 35' of line and riser, and whamo, you get hit with the snatch of the same bag going, who knows, only 40 mph downwards, or 80 mph away from your shoulders, thus 4 times the kinetic energy (using the made up numbers).

The canopy opening itself might not change all that much. Haven't thought about that much and won't go into the various issues since it isn't the main point of the thread.

I see what you are saying, but I don't believe it.

Look at the stowless bags, magnetic bags, tailpockets, and freebags.

Also there is a video on youtube with a russian woman packing in 2:30 not doing any of the linestows, and the opening is similar to the one with linestows made.

I do understand the forces you are saying, but adding 1" more of slack to the first linestow would do the same.
And how often do you get your stows exactly the same?

I know there's debate about line deployment methods and so on. And I jump a semi-stowless bag of my own design, and felt no real change from elastics to stow pouch. But we're not talking here about a couple pounds more pressure on tight elastics vs. a freebag, over say 1 second of deployment.

Here we're talking about 25 FEET of extra distance for the pilot chute to slow the bag down. (Again, this isn't going back to the original post about 1" different risers, but about someone's quip about adding 25 FOOT risers. Maybe there's confusion over what we're referring to??)

As for personal experience, I remember when the DZ switched to new pilot chutes when I was a student, and all of the opening suddenly felt a lot harder and snappier -- the difference in snatch force was appreciable.

but I don't believe it.

I think the reason you don’t believe it is because you don’t understand what he is talking about. It has nothing to do with bag type or line stows. It is about differential speeds between canopy mass and the load.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Chuteless, the one who made the original point about 25' risers, made such a jump. He's stating his experience. That might count for something.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Chuteless, the one who made the original point about 25' risers, made such a jump. He's stating his experience. That might count for something.

Wendy P.

And folks, please keep in mind the units: 25 feet.

And yes, Gail at Infinity can also build you some 25 feet asymmetrical risers for a built-in 270 swoop. Just call and ask.
Remster

Wendy P.

And yes, Gail at Infinity can also build you some 25 feet asymmetrical risers for a built-in 270 swoop. Just call and ask.

INCHES!

Wendy P.

INCHES!

Nooooooo.... Chuuteless' post was about feet.
Remster

I tried that and my back and knees did'nt like it at all. .

I tried reading your earlier posts, but my brain didn't like it at all.

Question - what's big, hairy, lives under bridges and eats Billy Goats?

I thought that having 25 ft risors would slow the opening down. How wrong I was.

The chute came off my back and was instantly inflated,and its inflation didnt slow me down in freefall. I still had 25 ft to drop in terminal, and it was like smacking into a brick wall. My head bent forward with such force, i thought I might have broken my neck. My upper lip was sliced open by the smoke bomb I had stuck into the top of my jumpsuit, and that was about ten inches from smoke bomb to my chin.
I've had some hard openings, one even tore my helmet off, but none as hard as the 25 ft risors jump.

The chute came off my back and was instantly inflated,and its inflation didnt slow me down in freefall. I still had 25 ft to drop in terminal,

Was the canopy not in a deployment bag?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The Para Commander WAS in a deployment bag. That didnt slow anything down. I thought that the bag plus the 25 ft risors that were folded back and forth to fit into the container would slow me down, but the whole chute was open and I still had 25 ft to go at terminal.

OUCH !!!!