exanimatebylove

New Skydiver... Help me! Haha.

I have completed 2 tandems so far and have already purchased my 3rd and know when I am going (2 weeks from now)!! I am very very interested in going through the AFP at a local DZ. I just have a few questions for those with licenses already... How often do you skydive? Do you have your own equipment?

I am a little over an hour away from the closest DZ and am a college student. I have the $$ for the AFP program but I am worried that I will need all my own equipment (which is super spendy!). Also, I would probably only be free (money-wise and time-wise) to go to the local DZ and jump once or twice a month at least until I'm not a student anymore.. Is this enough time to commit to stay good at skydiving and improve? Or would I need to commit more time to it than 2x a month, a few jumps per trip..??

Also, I live in Minnesota... BURR!!! So, is it hard to skydive in the winter months? How does that work when trying to keep a license current???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, thank you!!

I don't have my A license yet, but have completed AFF. I'm also very busy and can only make the trip to the DZ once a month on average. Still worth it, to me. I do live in the south though and can jump comfortably year round. Until you get your A license (minimum of 25 jumps), you'll need to jump at least every 30 days, or else you'll need to make a recurrency jump with an instructor. Not a big deal, but an additional cost.

Your gear should be provided for you during AFF. After that, you'll either have to rent it from the DZ or buy your own. I bought my own rig (used) just for convenience, but lots of folks at my level rent. Whatever works for your situation.

Once you get to solo status 2 jumps per trip and 2 trips to the DZ per month should keep you progressing and current. Less than that (at least for me) you will be getting rusty between trips. Also, after you miss a couple of weeks, the first jump is often a bit rough as you get your wings back.

As I got closer to getting my A license, I got to where I didn't want to miss a single weekend, for fear of losing ground.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I wouldn't do it until you're making bank. It's just lots of money and slow progress and the amount you budget will always be the minimum.

You don't want to be distracted by paying for the jumps, only the jumps themselves.

my 2 cents, pun very much intended. ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get my license. Even if I can only jump 3 times per trip, 2 weekends a month until I am done with school, it's worth it to me. I reccently quit smoking so I'll have some extra money floating around and I need a new hobby.

Still wondering if anyone has done AFF or AFP during winter months? Or how it is jumping in winter??

Getting to the dz every other week and getting a couple jumps in each time should be enough to keep you progressing.

Remember that as a college student, your main priority should be to get a good education. That way you can get a good paying job and afford to skydive more than a couple times a month. ;)

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

As a student, you need to jump every 30 days or you might be required to repeat your last jump. For example, if you pass level 4 and are cleared to level 5, but don't return to the DZ for 45 days, you will have to step back and repeat level 4.

As a licensed jumper (A license) you have 60 days to jump before you go 'uncurrent'. All that means is a recurrency jump, which is some refresher ground training and then a two-way with an instructor.

In terms of the winter layoff, simply see the above currency requirements, and go from there. Many jumpers end up making a trip south at some point during the winter, just to get some jumps in. Currency requirements still apply, but it just sucks to go 5 or 6 months without jumping.

As far as equipment is concerned, you will not need to supply any equipment at any time. During your student training, all of your equipment will be provided for you and included in the cost of the jump. Once you get a license, you can still rent gear, but it's costly and the rigs you want won't always be available (they might be on the back of a student).

First and foremost, get your license. Once you get there (or close) you can start looking into putting together a used rig to keep you up in the air.

One more thing to keep in mind... I'm not sure how frequently it rains or the winds are too high to jump where you live, but those variables might mean you can't jump on days you have free to jump. That bites me once in a while. The only recurrency jump I've had to make so far was primarily due to weather not honoring my schedule.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get my license. Even if I can only jump 3 times per trip, 2 weekends a month until I am done with school, it's worth it to me. I reccently quit smoking so I'll have some extra money floating around and I need a new hobby.

Still wondering if anyone has done AFF or AFP during winter months? Or how it is jumping in winter??

I have an "every other weekend off" schedule. So I only get to jump every other weekend.
It isn't ideal, but it's certainly doable. Weather, DZ issues and other life issues will also get in the way, so you may find yourself needing to get recurrent at some (or several) points. But you can still count the recurrency jumps as jumps, and you will still learn from them if you try. You just won't progress as fast.

Winter layoffs suck. I'm near Green Bay Wi, so I have to deal with it. Going south is an option (after you're licensed) Jumping in the winter is also a (very cold) option. Personally I stay on the ground below about 20F ground temp. Others will jump when it's colder. There's a fella on here who jumps all winter long down in East Troy (near Milwaukee WI). And at least once a month does it naked.
The cold is mostly mental. You layer up, appropriate gloves, I wear a balaclava to protect my neck (open face helmet). I always find myself going "Holy crap is it cold when the door opens, but when the cut is called, I forget about it and don't notice it again until after the canopy is open. I may only do one or two on cold days, but it beats none.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I started in Minnesota/Wisconsin. You will experience a temperture inversion in the winter...It may only be 8 degrees on the ground, but it will be 15 at altitude. Yes, I jumped when it was 8 degrees to keep current and back then we didn't have nearly the warm (thin and warm) stuff they have today.

Look for used gear and good luck!
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.