genericusername

Second Tandem or AFF?

I just did my first tandem jump and I'm not sure I fully experienced it. The TM hit on me pretty hard and things happened... (it wasn't unwelcome...not exactly... he was very cute :) but my head was swimming with nerves and adrenaline and my memory associated with the dive has more to do with that philandering skydevil and not the free fall experience and I do feel a teensy bit robbed. I don't remember blue skies...I remember blue eyes...;)

I want to skydive again but I'm going to a different dropzone. Should I do another tandem there or jump right into AFF? Do people usually do more than one tandem before taking on AFF? I called the new DZ and the gentleman that answered sounded surprised that I wanted to a second tandem but I suppose I could have misread his tone.

Thanks for the advice!

as far as the hitting on you may run into that everywhere I dont know?
for the aff if you are going to plan on taking it might as well start now. some dropzones may make you do a tandem at their dz or accept one from another dz. or not need one at all
I dont know to much just my opinion everyone that will answer you question will have more jumps than me
BASE 1519

if you want to learn, every jump will have value. If you can barely remember the first one, maybe you should do another tandem and really feel the experience, then go to AFF.

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

I just did my first tandem jump and I'm not sure I fully experienced it. The TM hit on me pretty hard and things happened... (it wasn't unwelcome...not exactly... he was very cute :) but my head was swimming with nerves and adrenaline and my memory associated with the dive has more to do with that philandering skydevil and not the free fall experience and I do feel a teensy bit robbed. I don't remember blue skies...I remember blue eyes...;)

I want to skydive again but I'm going to a different dropzone. Should I do another tandem there or jump right into AFF? Do people usually do more than one tandem before taking on AFF? I called the new DZ and the gentleman that answered sounded surprised that I wanted to a second tandem but I suppose I could have misread his tone.

Thanks for the advice!

Hmm. Interesting senerio? Bottom line here... if you want to skydive, either tandom or AFF will get you there. Welcome to the sport. Sorry to hear that any TI's advances may have dampered (or not?) your experience.

Another option here would be to go back to the same DZ to jump. You can fight off (or not?) this inappropriate behavior with a few simple words....

NO! Don't! Stop! No, don't! Stop! No, don't stop! ;)
;) Again, welcome to the sport.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I just did my first tandem jump and I'm not sure I fully experienced it. The TM hit on me pretty hard and things happened... (it wasn't unwelcome...not exactly... he was very cute :)

That is unfortunately fairly common... As a T-I/AFF-I, I don't make any advances on my students... (not to mention the GF would probably kill me if she found out :))

However, back to your question. I've seen it happen, girl gets a serious case of the hots for her T-I then shows up for AFF, she was unfocused because she wanted her T-I to be on her AFF jump (he wasn't, I was). Do you want to be sitting thru a course that could easily mean the difference between life or death while considering what your children would look like with a guy you've got a crush on?

I say get your lust in check before trying to go to AFF at that dz (specifically while he is there).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

However, back to your question. I've seen it happen, girl gets a serious case of the hots for her T-I then shows up for AFF, she was unfocused because she wanted her T-I to be on her AFF jump (he wasn't, I was). Do you want to be sitting thru a course that could easily mean the difference between life or death while considering what your children would look like with a guy you've got a crush on?

I say get your lust in check before trying to go to AFF at that dz (specifically while he is there).

I'm not going back to his dropzone I feel pretty stupid about the whole thing and what you wrote is pretty much what I was thinking.

I vaguely remember taking a few seconds to arch and not much else. I was thinking a second tandem and maybe asking for more instruction/some control.

I pretty much just rode the sky the first time.

I'm not going back to his dropzone I feel pretty stupid about the whole thing and what you wrote is pretty much what I was thinking.

I vaguely remember taking a few seconds to arch and not much else. I was thinking a second tandem and maybe asking for more instruction/some control.

I pretty much just rode the sky the first time.

You should not be the one who feels bad, that TI should not have behaved like that! It's unprofessional, and could be dangerous as well.

That it happens all the time is no excuse. [:/] Skydiving has turned to big business, and it's about time that dropzones (and their employees) start acting like it.

Many have figured this out and offer professional services. They do exist.

As a female skydiver, it is a fine line to tread, but as a student, you should not have to deal with the added emotional/mental issues of an instructor who wants to get in your pants.

FWIW, most people only "vaguely" remember their first jump. It's a lot of new info, and a lot of adrenaline. That's why they offer video. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Ummm.... how about he gets HIS lust in check? He's the supposed professional here. She's a paying customer who deserves to be treated with respect.

Ummm.... how about he gets HIS lust in check? He's the supposed professional here. She's a paying customer who deserves to be treated with respect.

Apparently he was able to safely complete the skydive, so while I agree it was unprofessional for him to come on to the student, I don't think it made the jump unsafe.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Apparently he was able to safely complete the skydive, so while I agree it was unprofessional for him to come on to the student, I don't think it made the jump unsafe.

Safety has nothing to do with it. A professional doesn't hit on a student. Period, A rating is not a pussy pass. If guys like that can't control themselves, they need to find another profession before one of their passengers calls a lawyer.

Safety has nothing to do with it.

Think about that for a few minutes. Matter of fact, ask Matt Cline if he agrees.

Safety is number 1, period.

Professionalism is something that should be required, but let's face it, ours isn't the only industry which has people that may take advantage of their position to get their rocks off.

I never said it was RIGHT of him do do it, but the damage is done and she's got the hots for him... now what should she do? Even if he never spoke a word to her at the dz, she still will see him and think about him.

Professionalism is something that should be required, but let's face it, ours isn't the only industry which has people that may take advantage of their position to get their rocks off.

That is not an excuse. Either be a professional or find some other career. Any "instructor", regardless of gender, who harasses a student sexually (including hitting on them) should have their rating pulled. Before someone's 18 year old daughter gets pawed, she tells Dad who happens to be a lawyer and... well I'm sure you can all figure out where that ends.

It'd sure be nice to know where this happened and who the ride operator is. This is not someone I want my soon to be 18 year old niece jumping with. Would you like your daughter to jump with him?

That is not an excuse. Either be a professional or find some other career. Any "instructor", regardless of gender, who harasses a student sexually (including hitting on them) should have their rating pulled. Before someone's 18 year old daughter gets pawed, she tells Dad who happens to be a lawyer and... well I'm sure you can all figure out where that ends.

It'd sure be nice to know where this happened and who the ride operator is. This is not someone I want my soon to be 18 year old niece jumping with. Would you like your daughter to jump with him?

Again, you provide no useful guidance to the OP. We got it, the TI was unprofessional... the question is, what should she do?

Again, you provide no useful guidance to the OP. We got it, the TI was unprofessional... the question is, what should she do?

As I suggested up thread (sorry I didn't include this in every post) - she should contact the DZO and tell them what happened. Let them know why she won't be doing her AFF there. Give them the chance to do the right thing and fire the offending ride operator.

Or at least, post the DZ and ride operators names so those of us who don't want our loved ones and friends treated the same way can avoid the person and/or place.

I am not a TI, but I am an AFF-I. I get a little uncomfortable even when doing mock up exits with females (usually holding their pant leg to simulate the harness).

Unfortunately this type of behavior is all to common in the sport, TI's come in contact with numerous individuals and some assume it is okay to test the waters in target rich surroundings. TI's often have ample time to interact with their passengers after the jump, I would think if the passenger had an interest in the TI (Thanks for the skydive here's my number call me) rather than the TI being the aggressor.

As Bytch says though, you hit on or touch my daughter inappropriately on a tandem we're gonna have issues.\ and a lawyer is the least of your concerns.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

A few things come to mind:

1. As others have said, this happens everywhere to some degree or other, and not just in this sport. Ski instructors, golf and tennis "pros", surf "instructors" and on and on are notorious. It's almost like lawyers in that 90% give the other 10% a bad reputation. That isn't to imply it's acceptable in modern civilized society - just how it is when you're programmed to reproduce.

2. Going to another local DZ does not guarantee avoidance of the offending instructor since many instructors are also migratory.

3. As for tandem or AFF for your next jump, I'll answer that that same way as I do for a first jump: Do you intend to make a regular habit of it? If yes, especially in your case, skip the tandem.

4. This has also been stated, but I don't believe adequately stressed: Your training must have your undivided attention. You can not be distracted during training, especially the first jump course. You could easily miss details that will get you hurt or killed.

Don't be in a rush to meet a guy at the DZ. There are lots of guys. Take your time and focus on your training progression. By the time you get to the A-license level, you should have a good feel (pun totally intended ;-) for who is the least slimy of the slimebag instructors and steal him from whatever DZ ho he's currently shagging. OK, I couldn't quite keep a straight face on that last sentence, but the first 3 sentences are solid.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

Don't be in a rush to meet a guy at the DZ. There are lots of guys. Take your time and focus on your training progression. By the time you get to the A-license level, you should have a good feel (pun totally intended ;-) for who is the least slimy of the slimebag instructors and steal him from whatever DZ ho he's currently shagging. OK, I couldn't quite keep a straight face on that last sentence, but the first 3 sentences are solid.

Good advice. Also, may I suggest this thread is a good read (not just because I started it, but because there's lots of great contributions from the community).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Worst case scenario you pay about the same as you would for a tandem for the AFF 1 safety briefing and jump, get a REAL skydive, decide you hate it and never come back. Odds are if you want to jump out of the airplane a second time, you'll probably be back. Most tandem students do it once, check "skydiving" off their list and we never hear from them again.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?