sabre_jilly

Donating blood and jumping??

I donated blood today and was told that after donating i cant jump for at least two months,

I'm a long time donater, 7+ gallons, and platelets, too, and that 2 month stuff is bullshit. I'd say no skydiving until the next day. If you are in any shape at all you have enough reserve oxygen carrying capacity to handle a little blood donation. Do you really think those blood bank folks know anything about skydivng? I've had docs tell me I was in perfect shape and that I should stop skydiving (for health reasons).

Get out and jump.:)

Thanks everyone!! Hadn't got to check replies til now, but they have made me feel much better! I thought it sounded a bit ridiculous alright. I'll just have to lie next time i donate when they ask me do i have any dangerous hobbies...
Mind you, with the weather over here it probably will be at least two months brfore i get to jump again!

jilly ;-)

I donate blood regularly, and have jumped the next day. Generally from a 182 at 12,500 msl, obviously it would/could be a larger factor at 15,000 msl?

If the reduced oxygen carrying capacity is such a "large factor", why are skydivers allowed to smoke tobacco? Does tobacco smoking not reduce your lung capacity, and/or the blood's ability to carry oxygen?

I was on a King Air doing a tandem once at a boogie. The pilot informed me that we were going to have to wait, because another airplane was deploying. Anyway, we ended up above 18,000 msl (on his altimeter)! I was thinking as I scooted the tandem toward the door 'I'm glad I don't smoke!'

Bracing for criticism...

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

>If the reduced oxygen carrying capacity is such a "large factor",
>why are skydivers allowed to smoke tobacco?

Allowed? Skydivers are 'allowed' to jump after donating blood too. They're even 'allowed' to jump the day after major surgery. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

>Anyway, we ended up above 18,000 msl (on his altimeter)

Normal loads at Lost Prairie go to 17,000-17,500 feet MSL (3500 elevation, 13,5+ AGL.) There are a lot of hypoxic people on those loads.

I donate blood regularly, and have jumped the next day. Generally from a 182 at 12,500 msl, obviously it would/could be a larger factor at 15,000 msl?

If the reduced oxygen carrying capacity is such a "large factor", why are skydivers allowed to smoke tobacco? Does tobacco smoking not reduce your lung capacity, and/or the blood's ability to carry oxygen?

I was on a King Air doing a tandem once at a boogie. The pilot informed me that we were going to have to wait, because another airplane was deploying. Anyway, we ended up above 18,000 msl (on his altimeter)! I was thinking as I scooted the tandem toward the door 'I'm glad I don't smoke!'

Bracing for criticism...

Martin

There's a huge difference between individuals' responses to altitude. Just because you can do it doesn't mean the guy sitting next to you can.

Kevin Uliassi successfully acclimatized to 25,000ft before attempting a round the world balloon flight. When his oxygen system failed at 31,000ft he did NOT pass out. www.westwindcos.com/pdf/kevin2.pdf You and I probably would have.

Night vision starts to go at around 8,000ft for many people, and even lower for smokers.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I tried donating blood a couple weeks ago. But the U.S. doesn't want it anymore. I guess I got mad cow from hanging out with the Brits for two years.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

Is it possible that you asked about skydiving while the nurse was telling you that you can't give blood for 2 months (8 weeks)? I'm too new to skydiving to comment on the time between giving blood and jumping but I've given blood enough times to know you can't give for 8 weeks (when donating whole blood).
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I think I'll have to agree that this is a possibility. Two or three months is the time you have to wait before making another donation.

But I think your body regenerates blood much quicker than that. If you wanna play it safe...call your doctor. But I'd say two or three days is more logical than two or three months.