justintime1983

AFF 7 and I want to have fun!!!

Patience grasshopper.

One of our seasoned veterans has a line for anybody contemplating inadvisable actions: "How old are you?" The conversation usually goes like this.

"How old are you?"

Respondent gives age.

"You plan on jumping for a few years?"

Respondent says yes.

"What's your hurry?" The unspoken, but usually clearly understood by this time insinuation is to slow down, be safe, and make sure you live to jump all those years.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I read your post last night and didn't respond, cuz I wanted to sleep on it and not give you a knee jerk reply filled with unkind words.

The physics of this matter have been explained above. if it is unclear... discuss with your instructor.

The much more important matter is your need to develop an understanding of the risk that we pose to each other in freefall and flight. The risks of skydiving extend beyond the obvious ... no canopy, or bad landing. When we jump together we create the opportunity for both great fun... and injury/death.

It is critical that we work hard to NOT pose a risk to each other when jumping. The list of hazards is long and best explained by your instructor.

You will quickly learn that the behavior of every jumper is being assessed and graded by other jumpers all the time. People make judgements about who they will jump with or NOT jump with based on that assessment of behavior. If you have poor skills, or worse... a poor attitude about safety... you will soon find that you are not invited on some of the coolest jumps.

I am a low timer myself and have made MANY mistakes (mostly a risk to ME, but occasionally a risk to others .... (sorry about that kick in the head Larry)). Nonetheless, there are jumpers that I am wary of. Some I don't like to do RW with, others I don't even like to be on the plane with!

Attitude is critical! So is developing a solid set of skills that can keep you and your fellow jumpers safe.

I bet that you are saying "how bad can it be?" Here are just a few examples....

Freefall... A teammate of mine has video of a jump that he was on where a headdown jumper drifted into a belly down formation and collided with a jumper at great speed. It was a miracle that only ribs were broken.

Deployment... I was at a boogie this summer when two jumpers were in proximity at deployment time. One was high and one was low. The high guy punched through the low guy's canopy. Once again... a miracle that no people were hurt (the canopy was killed).

Under Canopy.... In recent years there has been a very tragic series of low-altitude collisions between jumpers under canopy resulting in several deaths.

In each of these examples, the behavior of one (or both) skydivers affected the safety of others.

For the vast majority of jumps.... we need to keep both ourselves..... AND OTHER JUMPERS... safe. Unless you are on the plane alone, and in the sky alone, your actions can seriously affect the safety of the other jumpers around you (and vice-versa).

Remember... If all participants are walking on the ground after a skydive.... it was a good skydive. Anything more is just gravy!

In closing... You get an "Atta-Boy" for at least ASKING about this stupid idea, rather than just doing it!!!!

Good Luck, Keep learning!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

You should swoop the student canopy. I think you'd be a real hit at the dz.

Stupid fucking blonde dumb fucks!!!!! your a dirty whore.

Stupid jewbag! Go pickup a penny or something.

You to must be married?!!!!!:):D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I was thinking the same thing.

See, that honesty thing really does work best.B|
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

No, I turned down his proposal. :D

To the OP of this thread: Bottom line for me is this... with an attitude like that you are definately someone I would NOT want to jump with. I dont have an AAD so if your crazy ass knocked me out in freefall, that would be the end. And im sure there are others who jump with AADs who would feel the same as me.

Number one priority should be safety. Last on the list should be hot doggin. This isnt the movie Cutaway. :|

Yeah I think Im supposed to push my arms a lil closer to the earth to try n stay level, be working on that this jump.

I do understand now that the action woulda been unsafe, but I did ask around before doing it. I dont see how THAT is unsafe.

Its like hey I have an idea, gee I wonder if its a good one or not. I know Ill go ask someone who knows better than me.

What did I learn, there is a thing called a burble, which I should learn more about, and always ask before doing anything. Even if that means that I will be called unsafe, stupid, dangerous, or it be suggested that I leave. Thanks for all the responses, even the less than kind ones.
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

im gonna beat you with a loaf of bread stupid guito, isnt there a cannoli you can be sucking on?

btw IAW urban dictionary i spelled guito correctly.

Please take further pre-coital mating rituals to the Bonfire. We have standards here.

>Basically cause I would be following dive flow I want to track under my
>instructor and then go into this funny 180/ barrel roll then come back.

If you tried that and could get away with it, you would then have your instructor fall on your back.

What will likely happen if you try:

You'll track at your instructor and come nowhere near him. Then you'll turn and try again. Eventually your instructor, thinking you have lost your ability to maintain heading, will re-dock you and give you a "relax" or similar signal. He might stay docked on you until pull time if you try it again.

Afterwards he'd review heading control and fallrate control, and put you back on level 5 to work on that some more.

2. You'll scare the hell out of your JM. These guys honest to God save lives all the time. This one guy saved a girl's life in so many ways when she held onto her PC handle, causing the rope to go around her neck and hang her, then flip her on her back while the canopy was coming out. This JM risked his own life to save hers.

Great post.

#1 Rope? WTF?
#2 Flip her on her back while the canopy was coming out?

Please try to explain.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

What did I learn, there is a thing called a burble, which I should learn more about, and always ask before doing anything. Even if that means that I will be called unsafe, stupid, dangerous, or it be suggested that I leave. Thanks for all the responses, even the less than kind ones.

Do you know what pilot-chute hesitation is...and how you should deal with it?

If so, it seems like you should know about the concept of a burble/slipstream/turbulence.

As you continue your training, ask your instructor about how this may be present under canopy too.

Stay safe.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Well, I guess I want to weigh in...

I am a student myself, just finished my D-2 today, and plan 3 jumps Sat, 3 Sun. Anyway, new to the sport, but not new to life. It seems to me it was a stupid ass idea, and the saying of 'no such thing as a stupid question' obviously wasn't counting on yours. Anything that you learn if life, you should listen to those teaching you, and while there is nothing wrong with some ideas, others just show what a moron a person is. Asking a question like yours, is kinda like saying, well no one told me on the gun range that I couldn't try firing sideways down the line instead of downrange... so I though I'd try it just for kicks". With an attitude like yours, I wouldn't even want to be near the same drop zone with you, and I would ressomend you make sure your life insurance is paid up, because I am sure that you may have other stupis-ass ideas, one of wich may eventually get you killed, in not someone else.

Anyway that's my two cents.
Tact is not my specialty.....

Dirty Sanchez #453

2. You'll scare the hell out of your JM. These guys honest to God save lives all the time. This one guy saved a girl's life in so many ways when she held onto her PC handle, causing the rope to go around her neck and hang her, then flip her on her back while the canopy was coming out. This JM risked his own life to save hers.

Great post.

#1 Rope? WTF?
#2 Flip her on her back while the canopy was coming out?

Please try to explain.

Ok, "rope" was the wrong word. Nylon. She had a jump 12 years ago when it was a ripchord. Back then if you let go of the ripchord, it cost you 20 bucks. At least it did for me when I let go 14 years ago on level 1. Both JM and I told her it wasn't the same today, let go of the pilot chute hacky/handle whatever. She didn't let go. When the JM tried grab it from her, she pulled it away from him and toward herself under her own chin. The nylon came up and wrapped around her neck. While the JM was getting that off her, she went backwards and on her back. This happened in a matter of seconds, while the parachute was coming out. So she was back to the earth while the chute was coming out. It was a mess. The JM pulled at this and that and almost lost his hand. SOMEHOW the chute opened. Unreal. All this happened in like 8 seconds.

Sorry dude, but you called me a "troll" in another thread.

The more you post the more I think that you have never even been in a FJC. :|

I second that poser-esque diagnosis.

:|
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

hmmmm.......

How about, 360's on the hill

or reverse the dive flow

on the other hand ....aff being last out....pay attention to the "time between groups"
watch the group before you leave, give a good silent count .....smile at your instructor....
and give a no warning dive exit.......

then do your skydive....all other rule's now apply...
*WARNING*
....he might not understand the humor!!!

Myself....i always gave aff7's allot of room to be creative on the exit's and early in the skydive, as long as the requirments of LvL7 are met.....

Check with your instructor before you make things interesting!

g
AFFI

Dude post it!!! I was drunk, just poking a lil fun at dive flow.

Really, everyone is right, woulda been an incrediblely stupid thing to ACTUALLY do!!! Not that I really would have dont it.

If you dont like the fact that I would have some humor than I hope you can find some of your own. I know that maybe I shouldnt take this so lightly, but (almost used my horrible sense of humor again) how serious should I be.

Did I learn that I should talk to my intructors about some of the less obvious dangers, yes. Good for me.
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

I'm a newbie to the sport. I had 4 jumps 14 years ago. I started back at level 1 again this year and have had 6 jumps. I graduate level 7 today and will do my first solo. I called you a troll a week ago because you insulted me for no reason. You said you weren't a troll, just having fun late at night. I just assumed you were drinking or something and I just left it alone. That was it. I haven't held a grudge. I hope you're not.

I'll PM you to straighten it out, if it can be straightened out.