Shyamarose

Terrified of the wind tunnel

I'm with Glideangle--try CRW! Seriously, CRW (I'll never get used to calling it CF) is a terrific discipline, and I have never met a CRWdog who had a skygod mentality.

:)

Agreed! Although it won't help you overcome your claustrophobia, CRW is the most fun I've had with multiple layers of clothing on (been jumping pretty hard this winter...)

As for overcoming fear, I don't really have much useful advice. I'm currently trying to overcome a fear of spiders, and want don't want want to get a tarantula (Brachypelma Smithi to be precise). Other than exposure theory, I wouldn't really know how to overcome your claustrophobia.

I used to be scared of spiders too...but after a recent trip to Thailand I decided to be adventurous and have one of them street vendor bbq'd tarantula...it was actually pretty damn good!

So do you get like a whole spider on a stick with that, or just like some sandwich where you can't tell what meat it is or something?

I'd try it... at least once!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Thanks Skinnay for not just brushing off my fears. :) This is helpful. I do not want to give up on the tunnel just because I am scared of it. That makes me want to conquer it even more. Clearly there is something to overcome and that is exciting. I appreciate the push and advice!

Skinnay had some good advice.

I only have 3 hours of time but I would say the getting "sucked into the blades" is pretty much a non-issue....You have to remember they have tiny kids in there. If they cant fit through the bars and netting, you can't.

Austin is another super open tunnel,round and all glass. You can also get in and out of the antechamber during the sessions if you wanted to get some "air" lol.

There are some dangers as far as banging around into the walls at high speeds and bad angles, but thats what progressing slowly and having quality instruction helps to mitigate. I was a little banged up after 3 hours, but no sucking into the fan blades ;].

Stick with it IMO, tunnel is pretty damn cool.

You asked and this is your quote:

"What is the danger level of the wind tunnel" ?

Wind tunnels are not 100 percent safe!

There are a number of incidents involving wind tunnels, there is no association or group other than some insurance companies keeping records for any of us to peruse thru, so this fact makes it very difficult to get a real idea of just how dangerous and what types of injuries they produce. I know of more than one fractured neck.

I know of at least 2 concussions in my presence at a local wind tunnel.

I know that as your experience increases your individual crash rate goes down...

That guy standing there, by the door, employed by your respective wind tunnel, THEY ARE NOT THERE TO HOLD YOUR HAND...

If you have doubts about a wind tunnel, don't do it! I have more respect for many individuals that back away from some activities than the multitude of lemmings that get pressured into activities they don't have the experience, (darwinian experience) to physically handel all of the continginces that may arise...

You have already admited your nervous, this puts yu so far behind the curve, safety wise, your a danger and you have yet to even begin...

Good luck
C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I'm with Glideangle--try CRW! Seriously, CRW (I'll never get used to calling it CF) is a terrific discipline, and I have never met a CRWdog who had a skygod mentality.

Agreed! Although it won't help you overcome your claustrophobia, CRW is the most fun I've had with multiple layers of clothing on (been jumping pretty hard this winter...)

As for overcoming fear, I don't really have much useful advice. I'm currently trying to overcome a fear of spiders, and want don't want want to get a tarantula (Brachypelma Smithi to be precise). Other than exposure theory, I wouldn't really know how to overcome your claustrophobia.

I used to be scared of spiders too...but after a recent trip to Thailand I decided to be adventurous and have one of them street vendor bbq'd tarantula...it was actually pretty damn good!

So do you get like a whole spider on a stick with that, or just like some sandwich where you can't tell what meat it is or something?

I'd try it... at least once!

It was the ones on the sticks...they glazed it with sugar and honey (probably to mask the taste) but overall it tasted like shrimp but sweet.
Definitely worth a try!

your nervous, this puts yu so far behind the curve, safety wise, your a danger and you have yet to even begin...

This is utter crap.

Come to think of it, so is the rest of your post. Anecdote, supposition, pointlessly working someone else's fears up. Do you seriously think a person who is nervous about the tunnel and tentative is going to be more dangerous than a person going in gung-ho and plowing into the wall?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

(What is it you think the guy employed by the tunnel *is* there for, if not to help people?)

I can assume you mean well with this post but seriously, this is really unhelpful.

Less advice, more... I dunno. Things that aren't giving advice.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Worry about hitting the walls hard instead of the fans lol. Waking up on your back on the net with everyone kneeling over you talking about ambulances is not fun.

Much respect to all those who learned advanced FF skills by doing skydives. Videos from the 80's truly amaze me.
If this is your first night, you have to fight.

Pussies!

Way back in the era with dinosaurs ('Twardo's Age) we did learn while above the earth more than 20'.

I've only been in one wind tunnel (Las Vegas), it was very primitive and something to be feared.

The newer ones look amazing! I wish there was one closer than a 7 hour drive!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Pussies!

Way back in the era with dinosaurs ('Twardo's Age) we did learn while above the earth more than 20'.

I've only been in one wind tunnel (Las Vegas), it was very primitive and something to be feared.

The newer ones look amazing! I wish there was one closer than a 7 hour drive!

It still is something to be feared!!!!!

But Mr. Speer gets the ultimate kudo award for doing something , when others only dreamed!!! He put his money and reputation on the line in Gatlenburg/ Pigen Forge before many of you were even born! he is truly someone that should get long overdue recognition for his contribution to skydiving!!!!

he really did sacrafice to make something happen for the betterment of skydiving and he did this against overwhelming odds!!!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."