daleskydive

Jav or Vector

Riggers: how many grommets does the cut loop 'tail' have to clear on a) Javelin b) Vector ?

Javelin = 6 grommets above the cutter
Vector = 7 grommets above the cutter
For Skyhook add 1 for each rig.

Number of flaps (to be pushed by reserve PC) has nothing to do with that phenomenon. Rather groomets (creating friction on the loop).

More tension = higher friction. Just think about that. The poptop RPC will pull the loop ( non siliconized ) trough the entire reserve without any problem. Why? Because there's not much tension left in the flaps under the spring.
Of course I might be wrong, but this is how I see it.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

To reiterate and refine the flaps issue some more, going from the cutter to the outside of the reserve container:

Vector III
(no Skyhook):
cutter, lower kicker flap, upper kicker flap, a strong PC (with a grommet on top of course), 2 side flaps, 2 top & bottom flaps.
= 7 grommets above cutter, including 4 above the PC that have to slide apart (pulling the AAD-cut tail of the closing loop out in a zig zag between them, while pressed by the PC)

Javelin (no Skyhook):
cutter, molar freebag grommet, 2 side flaps, a less strong PC (w. top grommet), 2 top & bottom flaps
= 6 grommets but that includes only 2 flaps above the PC that have to slide apart with the tail of the closing loop

Yeah the main closing loop is a bit of a pain the way it is set up but if you make sure that the lines are seated in the bottom of the main tray and are carefull to drag the excess line toward the bottom when placing the D bag in the tray its all good. I hav'nt had one linetwist since taking the extra care. Thankyou for the links especially the one where the Res doesnt make it out of the tray.

Number of flaps (to be pushed by reserve PC) has nothing to do with that phenomenon. Rather groomets (creating friction on the loop).

More tension = higher friction. Just think about that. The poptop RPC will pull the loop ( non siliconized ) trough the entire reserve without any problem. Why? Because there's not much tension left in the flaps under the spring.
Of course I might be wrong, but this is how I see it.

Thats how I see it too.
And looking at the video you see how the flaps bend as the PC trys to get out.
If thats not friction keeping the PC inside the tray. Please enlighten me!
A spectra line going trough a grommet will create much less friction then a ~1 foot diameter PC pushing against flaps.

And the Poptop is probably a far superior design in that aspect

Dont you think your a bit greedy owning six rigs. JOKING, half you luck . Thanks for your imput. At this stage its between a Jav and Curve. Now is the curve really like sitting in an armchair under canopy because my Jav is.

Operating a school specific to one discipline, many people don't have the gear they need...ergo...multiple rigs with various canopy sizes.
I'd urge you to at least put on a Curv, simply because everyone else that has, wishes they had one.B|:D

Hi piisfish, you remarks on the Voodoo curve have really interested me. With the extra padding is it as comfortable under canopy as a Jav with the padding and the extra webbing under the shoulder straps, does it mean that the shouldr straps that contain the risers dont seat right on your shoulders and how does that go with flying head down. I dont really understand why the rig doesnt fit nicely without the extra webbing. Are you a freeflyer. AND does the main closing toung on the main have plenty of length going into the slot holding it. Just making sure that its highly unlikely that the main closing flap could get dislodged and expose the closing pin. How would a freefly pud on the pilot chute go as far as the design of the BOC pocket. Cheers for your insight.Im so gratefull for your response. Thankyou PS Im not in a position to try on a curve as I dont know anybody with a voodoo especially a curve so I have to make my decision without being able to try one on.I would have been sold on the idea if the people who had tried the rig on at the expo had actually worn it in freefall. At this stage you are my deciding factor.

Thanks again for your imput. I dont think I will have an opportunity to try a curve on but if everone that has says they wish that they had one its good enough for me. If it is as good as a jav under canopy them Im sold. Please answer this one last ques. Do your Javs have the extra padding and if they do and the curve is better in comfort under canopy then that is what I will get. Thanks Dale

sorry Dale, I can't help you more on this as I only wore the rig on the ground. All I know is that I would like to have the feedback of wingsuiters on it.
I would take for granted that it would be a perfect freeflyer fit.
Actually the comfort and fit are closer to a hiking backpack rather than a brick or a parachute. Plus it nicely respects the moves of your body.
If I understood correctly, there are a couple of VFS flyers who are using the rig. So I wouldn't question much the "freeflyability" of the rig.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM