hookah

First Time Skydiver...

FlyingRhenquest

What can I expect to feel during freefall? Does it feel like when you jump off a 25 foot cliff and get that weird dropping feeling? I hate that feeling but I am trying to get over it.

Well now it mostly feels like flying. You ever have a dream where you go flying? It feels kind of like that. Those early AFF jumps and tunnel sessions reminded me a bit more of trying to balance on a bicycle the first time without knowing exactly how to do it. Then they take the training wheels off for the first time 3 minutes (3 jumps) later and you find yourself just doing it...

There's a lot of other discussion about fear and stuff after you asked this question. Before our first jump they introduced us to a door mock-up where we could practice our exit on the ground. Several times during my training they told me that there was no difference between climbing around on the door mock-up and climbing around on the plane at 12000 feet. I didn't believe them at the time. Just recently I found myself saying that to an AFF student who probably didn't believe me either.

Here's the thing, and I'm not looking to do it or take any unnecessary risks, but if there were some life-threatening emergency that forced me to climb out the door of the plane without a rig on, I feel like I could do that now. Because I KNOW it's no different than climbing around on the mock-up rig on the ground. I know my footing will be good, I know that my grip won't fail. The only difference is in my mind. I had a dream after I had this realization where I had to jump from a high platform (200-300 feet) and catch on to the rigging of a hot air balloon, and I did it without fear because I knew I could make the same jump on the ground without a problem. I didn't set out to conquer any fears when I started this, but that's kind of nice bonus to the whole experience anyway.
That sounds great and makes me feel a lot better right now about the experience. The thing with me is I am usually afraid while waiting because that's when you think about things. Same thing with roller coasters! I will be in line muttering expletives at my friends but as soon as I get on the coaster and we start going I am throwing my arms up and having fun!

Had the same experience ziplining or anything else that would put fear in me before trying it.

Now thinking ahead how much would an AFF1 course cost roughly?

JackC1

***I don't get the apprehension here and don't appreciate the limiting belief system being preached.

Unfortunately that has become the SOP around here. It never used to be, but some where along the line, the clique decided that the best way to deal with anyone who doesn't fit the dz.com approved standard skydiver profile should be bashed until they leave.

Regarding fear, it's normal to be scared (I don't like heights much either) but Tandem Instructors are used to nervous students and take good care of them. Ultimately how you deal with fear is up to you but in this game it really is a good idea to make sure you can still operate normally when scared as freezing up is not a good survival trait. That in itself I find is a pretty good motivator not to be scared, or at least to deal with it more effectively.

My policy on dealing with fear was to imagine the perfect skydive from take off to landing, calm and relaxed, with no dramas and with no fear. Repeat that 100 times and you start to believe it. It seemed to work for me at least.

Thanks! I will try this!

hookah

That sounds great and makes me feel a lot better right now about the experience. The thing with me is I am usually afraid while waiting because that's when you think about things. Same thing with roller coasters! I will be in line muttering expletives at my friends but as soon as I get on the coaster and we start going I am throwing my arms up and having fun!

Had the same experience ziplining or anything else that would put fear in me before trying it.

Oh, well there's a LOT of waiting in skydiving. Waiting on the ground, weather holds, the ride on the plane, waiting for AFF instructors to be available, etc. It's best to put that time to good use asking all manner of questions. The first few times you have no idea how long it takes to put the gear on and spend 20 minutes wandering around with a rig and jumpsuit on. Hopefully your instructor will use that time to deliver a briefing on the dive flow and practice the exit at the mock-up rig. They usually go over the dive flow at least once on the plane, as well, just to make sure you remember it.

It varies from DZ to DZ. IIRC the first jump at the one I found was $300. That jump was more expensive due to the six hour ground school we had prior to the jump. The price goes down as you do more jumps -- the first three jumps take two instructors and were a couple hundred bucks. Then it goes down to one instructor and gets less expensive. Kind of depends on your DZ though. I'm not sure how much you want to shop around for AFF training though. "Bob's Discount AFF Training" might have a "buy one jump, get one jump free!" special, but I might have some concerns about the quality of that training. But it might be great, too!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

hookah

At the top of the dz.com page is a button - "dropzones".

You can search there to find DZs in your area and call each one (recommended) or visit their websites to get pricing...and methods. Some do not offer AFF.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

THAT'S what I thought you were doing in the 1st place...hence the caution & warning light. ;)

I think given your earlier posts you should do a tandem and evaluate your interest from that standpoint. You MAY find you don't have nearly the 'fear' you think you have! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

hookah

I think that's normal. ;)

My advice for your first tandem jump is: Stop reading anything about it. Do your jump and then share your experiences with us. :)

airtwardo

THAT'S what I thought you were doing in the 1st place...hence the caution & warning light. ;)

I think given your earlier posts you should do a tandem and evaluate your interest from that standpoint. You MAY find you don't have nearly the 'fear' you think you have! B|

I never did a tandem. I think if I tried to do one now I'd accidentally pull the guy I'm wearing on my back as a parachute :P
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

I never did a tandem. I think if I tried to do one now I'd accidentally pull the guy I'm wearing on my back as a parachute :P

An aggressive pud toss would sure clean the wax outta the TM's ears!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Goddamnit!

I did too much research! I was getting more and more pumped after beating a few of my other fears but after watching parachute failure videos I am freaked out again lol

How hard is it to recover from one of those? Not asking for my jump but just in general I am kind of curious. Best to just cutaway asap and rely on the reserve?

hookah

Goddamnit!

I did too much research! I was getting more and more pumped after beating a few of my other fears but after watching parachute failure videos I am freaked out again lol

How hard is it to recover from one of those? Not asking for my jump but just in general I am kind of curious. Best to just cutaway asap and rely on the reserve?

That is a subject that will be covered in great detail during your ground course.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

***Goddamnit!

That is a subject that will be covered in great detail during your ground course.
Cool! Skydiving seems like a good thrill for me. I am pretty sure the only part that will scare me is the jumping out of the plane part. Once in freefall I will probably enjoy it like all the other fears I have beat thus far.

I figure we all have to die someday and what is the point of life if you didn't live it! Almost got killed yesterday on the highway on my bike after a truck encroached into my lane. Would have been a more painful death than skydiving lol

Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want. Be prepared, but don't worry about things :) Worry creates anxiety, anxiety can cause the brain to freeze up or make bad choices. The huge number of jumpers who have great jumps... they are prepared. Not worried. The jumpers who deal successfully with malfunctions, have to do cutaways, they don't let anxiety freeze them up.
I mean, I am a rank newbie, but I know from the folks I have talked to and the reading I have done, canopy emergency procedures are a reasonably complicated subject, complex enough that you cannot summarize it in a paragraph or two. Which is why it is taught during the ground class. I read a fair bit about it in the Skydiver's Handbook... perhaps pick up a book on skydiving to help out :)
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

hookah

******Goddamnit!

Cool! Skydiving seems like a good thrill for me. I am pretty sure the only part that will scare me is the jumping out of the plane part. Once in freefall I will probably enjoy it like all the other fears I have beat thus far.

I figure we all have to die someday and what is the point of life if you didn't live it! Almost got killed yesterday on the highway on my bike after a truck encroached into my lane. Would have been a more painful death than skydiving lol

Heh jumping out of the plane never scared me, I always found it exciting and extremely fun. Final approach right before landing though is a whole different ball game for me. Fucking terrifying.

I went skydiving today and did my first jump...

Surprisingly I wasn't afraid and just a little nervous BUT I wasn't scared even one bit. My instructor that I am going to be my AFF instructor. Honestly skydiving didn't give me as much as a thrill as I expected but I loved it and want more. There was 0 fear the whole time I am smiling in the video from the point I am in the door to freefalling.

Just freaking amazing I am impressed!