hookah

First Time Skydiver...

I am scared out of my mind but I have to do this to get over my fears and tackle them. Everyone talks about skydiving but barely any of those people end up doing it.

I am scared of heights and even the thought of jumping out of a plane gives me sweaty palms. I want to face my fears and put my foot on the platform and jump out without my instructor pushing me out.

Any advice on managing my first time fear? I am scheduled to jump in a week.

Standing at the open door of a plane at 10000 feet doesn't seem as frightening as standing on a ladder at 20 or 30 feet to me. Everything looks so different up there it hardly even registers.

Just breathe and don't let yourself panic. We all had to take that first step. I got a look at the video of my first jump and I didn't remember feeling as frightened as I looked in the video, but I did it anyway. It was no less scary for anyone here, but we all did it.

No matter what happens on your jump, it doesn't speak badly of you as a person. Exiting a flying plane is an extremely unnatural thing to be doing. Just relax and enjoy the experience as much as you can. You only get one first jump and it'll never be quite the same again after that. Once you're out the door, it's just awesome.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Standing at the open door of a plane at 10000 feet doesn't seem as frightening as standing on a ladder at 20 or 30 feet to me. Everything looks so different up there it hardly even registers.

Just breathe and don't let yourself panic. We all had to take that first step. I got a look at the video of my first jump and I didn't remember feeling as frightened as I looked in the video, but I did it anyway. It was no less scary for anyone here, but we all did it.

No matter what happens on your jump, it doesn't speak badly of you as a person. Exiting a flying plane is an extremely unnatural thing to be doing. Just relax and enjoy the experience as much as you can. You only get one first jump and it'll never be quite the same again after that. Once you're out the door, it's just awesome.

What can I expect to feel during freefall? Does it feel like when you jump off a 25 foot cliff and get that weird dropping feeling? I hate that feeling but I am trying to get over it.

What can I expect to feel during freefall? Does it feel like when you jump off a 25 foot cliff and get that weird dropping feeling? I hate that feeling but I am trying to get over it.

There's *very* little of the dropping feeling, if any at all.
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

There's *very* little of the dropping feeling, if any at all.

Unless you get a ride in Mullin's KA! lol

Edit: to the OP, I'm not dissing his plane.. He just likes to give you a fun ride to altitude :)
Remster

hookah

I am scared out of my mind but I have to do this to get over my fears and tackle them. Everyone talks about skydiving but barely any of those people end up doing it.

I am scared of heights and even the thought of jumping out of a plane gives me sweaty palms. I want to face my fears and put my foot on the platform and jump out without my instructor pushing me out.

I've been a scuba instructor for over 10 years...and one of the first things we look out in students is their reasons to scuba dive. IF they say something like "i need to get over the fear of water, or i need to get over the fear being under water, or getting over the fear of claustrophobia", that is a red flag to either keep an eye out on the student or to really recommend looking for a different sport.
In my experience and in my colleagues experience 9/10 times a student who wants "to get over their fear" in scuba ends up not liking the sport or does not pass pool qualifications to go to the next level to qualify for open water.

That being said, i know sky diving is not like scuba but to "get over your fear" is not a legitimate reason to skydive. Some fear is ok, it keeps you sharp. But total fear to the point of paralysis and not being able to think clearly or act can put you , your instructor, and others in danger.
Ask yourself this, are you willing to put your family, your job, your friends, your life on the line to jump? Are you willing to accept the risks and consequences if something (remote) were to go wrong?

GooniesKid

***I am scared out of my mind but I have to do this to get over my fears and tackle them. Everyone talks about skydiving but barely any of those people end up doing it.

I've been a scuba instructor for over 10 years...and one of the first things we look out in students is their reasons to scuba dive. IF they say something like "i need to get over the fear of water, or i need to get over the fear being under water, or getting over the fear of claustrophobia", that is a red flag to either keep an eye out on the student or to really recommend looking for a different sport.
In my experience and in my colleagues experience 9/10 times a student who wants "to get over their fear" in scuba ends up not liking the sport or does not pass pool qualifications to go to the next level to qualify for open water.

That being said, i know sky diving is not like scuba but to "get over your fear" is not a legitimate reason to skydive. Some fear is ok, it keeps you sharp. But total fear to the point of paralysis and not being able to think clearly or act can put you , your instructor, and others in danger.
Ask yourself this, are you willing to put your family, your job, your friends, your life on the line to jump? Are you willing to accept the risks and consequences if something (remote) were to go wrong?

+1

Skydiving isn't a required thing...if one has to 'force' himself to do it, why bother?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

GooniesKid

***I am scared out of my mind but I have to do this to get over my fears and tackle them. Everyone talks about skydiving but barely any of those people end up doing it.

I would totally disagree, I think it is a great reason and legitimate reason to do something. I am not the sort of individual that likes to live my life in fear of the world and not trying things that scare me. Heights freak me out but this whole month I have been pushing the envelope and doing things that scare me. Guess what after 2 seconds of initial fear I end up having fun in these activities.

I like to live on the wild side and don't like to let my irrational fears paralyze me. I used to be afraid of water but my friends pushed me in the deep end once and guess what! I swam and now I am decent swimmer and cliff dive into the Delaware river every year.

Obviously I haven't been paralyzed by my fears yet and doing so would be uncharacteristic of me. In fact, you have just motivated me even more to go ahead with my first skydive.

How many people in this sport aren't fearful their first time?

You would have to more clearly define 'fear'.

I learned everything I could before my 1st jump...I knew the basics and more, well before ever taking the class.

I had what I'd consider to be normal apprehension, but no it wasn't fear by my definition.

'Fear' can and does affect different people in different ways, some freeze up, some forget everything and revert to curing up & hoping for the best.

Some run & some fight...if you're the type that 'fights' through it and performs well under pressure then tally-ho.

If not, you're putting yourself in a bad position for a BTDT tee-shirt that means little in the grand scheme of things.

airtwardo

You would have to more clearly define 'fear'.

I learned everything I could before my 1st jump...I knew the basics and more, well before ever taking the class.

I had what I'd consider to be normal apprehension, but no it wasn't fear by my definition.

'Fear' can and does affect different people in different ways, some freeze up, some forget everything and revert to curing up & hoping for the best.

Some run & some fight...if you're the type that 'fights' through it and performs well under pressure then tally-ho.

If not, you're putting yourself in a bad position for a BTDT tee-shirt that means little in the grand scheme of things.

Even if fear did make me freeze I am sure my TI would be able to handle the situation properly. I don't get the apprehension here and don't appreciate the limiting belief system being preached.

If I didn't care to do my research I wouldn't bother registering on this forum. The fact that you guys are discouraging me when you can run through thousands of videos on YT where people full of fear skydived is quite weird. I was talking to someone who does it often and they told me you will be scared shitless on your first jump.

I like to experience life and I take part in my dangerous recreational activities. For god sakes I ride a motorcycle in NJ and probably have better chances of dying from that then skydiving. If I don't like it at the end of the day so what? I can't recall any activity that scared me that I tried and didn't like...Quite the contrary.

Also psychologists say the best way to get over fears is to face them as long as it is done on your own terms. I am not a slave to my fears or slave to anyone else's self limiting belief systems.

FlyingRhenquest

Thanks for this! I have been told you don't have any idea of how fast you are going and no concept of height at that point.

I have a fear of heights. I challenge it every chance I get. I have gotten a lot better... there was a time when I couldn't LOOK at a photo of someone standing on a cliff or a tall building without getting the heebie jeebies. I am a LOT better now, but I still get a trigger on tall buildings and balconies.
My fear of heights was not once triggered the whole time I went for my first tandem. Not in flying up, not in jumping out, nor under canopy, not even in landing.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Even if fear did make me freeze I am sure my TI would be able to handle the situation properly. I don't get the apprehension here and don't appreciate the limiting belief system being preached.

Didn't realize you were talking about a tandem...thought you meant something else. :ph34r:

You're right...you'll be fine. B|

airtwardo

******I am scared out of my mind but I have to do this to get over my fears and tackle them. Everyone talks about skydiving but barely any of those people end up doing it.

+1

Skydiving isn't a required thing...if one has to 'force' himself to do it, why bother?

Airtwardo,,,you +1'ed me?
Dude man, i'm quite honored. It's not everyday that you award a +1 eventhough i'm the bastard child and jerk of the forums.

thanks man, i want to buy you a beer

GooniesKid

*********I am scared out of my mind but I have to do this to get over my fears and tackle them. Everyone talks about skydiving but barely any of those people end up doing it.

+1

Airtwardo,,,you +1'ed me?
Dude man, i'm quite honored. It's not everyday that you award a +1 eventhough i'm the bastard child and jerk of the forums.

thanks man, i want to buy you a beer

:D:D:D

Green bottle & ice cold kid! ;)

hookah

******I am scared out of my mind but I have to do this to get over my fears and tackle them. Everyone talks about skydiving but barely any of those people end up doing it.

I would totally disagree, I think it is a great reason and legitimate reason to do something. I am not the sort of individual that likes to live my life in fear of the world and not trying things that scare me. Heights freak me out but this whole month I have been pushing the envelope and doing things that scare me. Guess what after 2 seconds of initial fear I end up having fun in these activities.

I like to live on the wild side and don't like to let my irrational fears paralyze me. I used to be afraid of water but my friends pushed me in the deep end once and guess what! I swam and now I am decent swimmer and cliff dive into the Delaware river every year.

Obviously I haven't been paralyzed by my fears yet and doing so would be uncharacteristic of me. In fact, you have just motivated me even more to go ahead with my first skydive.

Sir, then you just answered your own question. You are ready.

But i will guarantee you that if you tell your instructors "i want to get over this fear", they WILL keep that in the back of their mind ..whether or not they decide to tell you their concern is up to them.

If i were the instructor i'd tell you:
"It's normal to have fear"...
"Here are the risks"...
"I will teach you how to minimize the risks"...
"Do you still want to learn how to skydive"...

My very first AFF I played a cool customer, held my chest proud, and projected a bad@$$ bravado to the tandems. But on the ride up my instructors said my voice was 5 octives higher and was visibly nervous.

Everyone here can provide positive feedback and tell you "it's fun", "there's nothing to it", "if you want it you will do it", etc. but when that door opens and you're at the edge of that door, you will be tested...and only YOU will know if you can take that first step into becoming part of an elite group of people who temp fate everytime they jump.

Good luck

hookah

I don't get the apprehension here...

It's because we care about young jumpers. We WANT you to have a memeorable experience...so memorable, in fact, that you stick with it and become a skydiver!

The LAST thing we want is for you to have a bad experience and go away thinking the sport we love is "stupid' or some such negativity.

and don't appreciate the limiting belief system being preached.

Hopefully, I'll shed some light on this and you'll understand that there ARE limits. If you decide to become a skydiver, you will be limited at all levels until you can prove yourself capable.

The fact that you guys are discouraging me

Let me offer some encouragement..simply...DO IT!
:)

For god sakes I ride a motorcycle in NJ

Just so you know...few recreational activities relate to skydiving. This is a totally different environment.

I am not a slave to my fears or slave to anyone else's self limiting belief systems.

Again, just so you know....skydiving has many rules and regulations that you could view as limiting if you didn't know that those rule and regulations were all about safety.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It's not so much that words of caution are meant to discourage, but just pointing out things that could happen. It's true that skydiving is not for everyone. A tandem is a good way to start if you are afraid of heights but just be aware of the possibilities. Your Tandem Instructor will be a very educated and experienced skydiver and has probably handled a wide variety of situations but having a student completely freak out probably isn't the easiest job for them.

Everyone here has had to get over the feeling of jumping out of a plane and as long as you wont just start grabbing for handles the second you are out of the door, or worse, in the door, you'll probably have a great time. Just take others opinions for what they're worth and make an educated decision.

Welcome to the sport and DZ.com (btw, this has been pretty mild for this crowd, just wait until you post about downsizing at 15 jumps :) )

Koric101

Welcome to the sport and DZ.com (btw, this has been pretty mild for this crowd, just wait until you post about downsizing at 15 jumps :) )

I downsized three sizes on my ninth jump, and also I learned everything I could before my 1st jump...I knew the basics and more, well before ever taking the class.

Quagmirian

***Welcome to the sport and DZ.com (btw, this has been pretty mild for this crowd, just wait until you post about downsizing at 15 jumps :) )

I downsized three sizes on my ninth jump, and also I learned everything I could before my 1st jump...I knew the basics and more, well before ever taking the class.

Did ya know how to arm an AOD and how it worked, why cross-connectors were used with a stevens line, the difference between a right side up & up side down kicker plate, why a W-W pattern is stronger than a box X pattern...?

I did! :ph34r:

airtwardo

******Welcome to the sport and DZ.com (btw, this has been pretty mild for this crowd, just wait until you post about downsizing at 15 jumps :) )

Did ya know how to arm an AOD and how it worked, why cross-connectors were used with a stevens line, the difference between a right side up & up side down kicker plate, why a W-W pattern is stronger than a box X pattern...?

I did! :ph34r:Touche. I had flown my own parasail though, the harness on which had box stitches, which tore open during flight... Anyway, I digress.

I suggest that OP should go and spend a day at the dropzone and introduce himself, say that he might want to do a tandem, watch the jumping, have a beer or two and maybe walk away with the receipt for a tandem deposit.

Quagmirian

***Welcome to the sport and DZ.com (btw, this has been pretty mild for this crowd, just wait until you post about downsizing at 15 jumps :) )

Well, there was a bit of sarcasm, just saying, DZ.com isn't lacking in the criticism department, although most of it is constructive :)

hookah

Well now it mostly feels like flying. You ever have a dream where you go flying? It feels kind of like that. Those early AFF jumps and tunnel sessions reminded me a bit more of trying to balance on a bicycle the first time without knowing exactly how to do it. Then they take the training wheels off for the first time 3 minutes (3 jumps) later and you find yourself just doing it...

There's a lot of other discussion about fear and stuff after you asked this question. Before our first jump they introduced us to a door mock-up where we could practice our exit on the ground. Several times during my training they told me that there was no difference between climbing around on the door mock-up and climbing around on the plane at 12000 feet. I didn't believe them at the time. Just recently I found myself saying that to an AFF student who probably didn't believe me either.

Here's the thing, and I'm not looking to do it or take any unnecessary risks, but if there were some life-threatening emergency that forced me to climb out the door of the plane without a rig on, I feel like I could do that now. Because I KNOW it's no different than climbing around on the mock-up rig on the ground. I know my footing will be good, I know that my grip won't fail. The only difference is in my mind. I had a dream after I had this realization where I had to jump from a high platform (200-300 feet) and catch on to the rigging of a hot air balloon, and I did it without fear because I knew I could make the same jump on the ground without a problem. I didn't set out to conquer any fears when I started this, but that's kind of nice bonus to the whole experience anyway.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

hookah

I don't get the apprehension here and don't appreciate the limiting belief system being preached.

Unfortunately that has become the SOP around here. It never used to be, but some where along the line, the clique decided that the best way to deal with anyone who doesn't fit the dz.com approved standard skydiver profile should be bashed until they leave.

Regarding fear, it's normal to be scared (I don't like heights much either) but Tandem Instructors are used to nervous students and take good care of them. Ultimately how you deal with fear is up to you but in this game it really is a good idea to make sure you can still operate normally when scared as freezing up is not a good survival trait. That in itself I find is a pretty good motivator not to be scared, or at least to deal with it more effectively.

My policy on dealing with fear was to imagine the perfect skydive from take off to landing, calm and relaxed, with no dramas and with no fear. Repeat that 100 times and you start to believe it. It seemed to work for me at least.

My policy on dealing with fear was to imagine the perfect skydive from take off to landing, calm and relaxed, with no dramas and with no fear. Repeat that 100 times and you start to believe it. It seemed to work for me at least.

Not trying to be 'SOP' or anything, having 'policies' on fear are good - i guess...but wouldn't that be kinda hard to do for someone who's never even made a tandem jump? :)

Just sayin'

airtwardo

Not trying to be 'SOP' or anything, having 'policies' on fear are good - i guess...but wouldn't that be kinda hard to do for someone who's never even made a tandem jump? :)

Just sayin'

Fair point, it helps most from jump #2 onwards I guess. :D Jump #1 I think was a case of "ignorance is bliss".

Maybe if you've got a vivid enough imagination and Youtube...