brianfry713

Video: A bad Mr. Bill with a cutaway

My first cutaway was on a Mr Bill. After that, I have no desire to try one again. The one that I had my cutaway on, we left unstable, and the dbag hit my foot, and flipped around, creating a baglock. Luckily, we had talked about these things before, and sluggo left and watched me cutaway, and go to reserve. I had thought, and unhooked the RSL on the gear I was jumping prior to this, luckily. It could have been ugly with an RSL.

Sure Mr Bill's look cool, and look like they are a whole lot of fun, if you are going to try one, make sure to think about EP's, and talk to someone who has done one (successfully preferably) beofre you give it a try.

We were oh so close to catching the main on the fly with me standing in the back of your truck.
Missed it by that much. Nice driving.

That was a nice catch on the free bag as you tried to stay out of the ditch. Good thing the rain had soaked in so the ditch wasn't full.

Sean

Phill and sean I am really impressed at how fast you got the main and free bag. I saw where It was going to land, turned around to watch Brian land and see if he was ok and by the time I started to run to my car to go look for his canopy you guys were already driving back on to the dropzone with it. You guys rock and I will definitely have a beer waiting for you when you land from your next sunset load :)
Fly like a girl

Leah,

Well you know me, always having to come to Brian's rescue (this is becoming a habbit) :P Anyway, we saw the direction it was falling and had a strong feeling it was gonna land on the road (which it did). I figured since Mr. Murphy obviously went along on the Mr. Bill he would continue screwing things up and a car would hit the canopy or worse the canopy hit a car and a car hit the ditch.

Sean did all the hard work due to my lack of driving Skills (he actually had to walk 20 feet back to the canopy) I missed by this much :P

Sean never mentioned it to anyone so I will let the cat out of the bag, The free bag was headed into the drainage ditch. I did my best impression of a teenager jumping across the ditch catchig the bag in mid-air, stradling the ditch and basically doing everything possible to keep from falling into the ditch myself. I could only imagine the roar of laughter if I came back with a dry Freebag/pilot chute and I was soaking wet and covered in mud (Whew)

P.S. How is the shoulder? we gonna get you back in the air soon?

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Phil and I were just lucky that the main and free bag came down right over the road. There was a truck coming up right behind us and we needed to make sure they didn't pass us and get a free bag into their windshield.

I'll be up either on Friday or Saturday, depending on the weather. Appreciate the offer on the beverage, but no need to buy. I just hope there will be someone around to help find my main if/when I have to chop. Be more than happy to sit back and enjoy a beverage with you though.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I have one skydance ticket left. Would anyone care to do a Mr Bill dive with me next time I'm out?

SBS might even though the last one didn't go so well.

Brian, I'm impressed that you did an altitude check before cutting away. The malfunction was pretty radical looking.

If you can reach above the twists, it's easier to stop from twisting up more. You can actually push yourself out of them quicker too.

If you can't reach above them, grab the risers a little lower than you did so there's more leverage to help untwist when you kick out.

Nice job!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I saw one comment on it and I'm surprised it wasn't answered. Looks to me like you're holding the left riser when you cutaway - if so, that's bad juju. If that'd caught your hand it could have been a lot uglier.

If you can't launch and pitch stable, don't do Mr Bills, k ;)

Blues.

edit: One other thing. If you're wearing camera it's a good idea to keep your head and camera gear away from deploying reserves or cutaway mains. Talk to a local camera guy about the best deployment and cutaway procedures.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Yes I was holding the left riser when I cutaway, I agree that was a stupid thing to do, and not something I was really thinking about. That, and my crappy body position and de-arch and lack of any attempt to get onto my belly led to my reserve deploying while I was on my back, and probably the line twists on my reserve.

It also puts you in a bad position to pull your reserve handle (especially without an RSL). So since I know I need the practice on EPs.
Option 1 (2 hands on each handle) - Look, reach, look, pull, reach, pull
Option 2 (1 hand on each handle) - Look, reach, look, reach, pull, pull

hookitt, thanks for the advice on getting out of line twists quicker, I'll have to practice that. I think I'm done being Mr. Bill for at least a few months until my reserve is getting close to being out of date again :)
I didn't want to cutaway too low, I had my audible to go by, but thought I'd double check my visual alti before I chopped. During opening I was spinning, but then it calmed down and I think form the Neptune/Paralog graph I was only descending around 30mph with the line over and hung up slider. I probably could've tried to work the lineover a little more, but I thought I was already low enough at 2,500ft and wanted the extra time under my reserve. Plus it didn't look like it was going to get any better, so with the altitude check and all, I think it was about 4-5 seconds and 500ft after the pin was pulled to the time I cutaway. We did tow my P/C and bridle for quite a while after exit.

After I chopped I knew I was on my back, but didn't really have the time or presence of mind to flip over and pull my reserve handle before the RSL activated my reserve and I was spun up in line twists under it.

I agree that launching and pulling stable is very important for getting Mr. Bills to work. I had one a while ago where we tumbled and the bridle went around Mr. Bill's leg before I let go. He was able to get it clear and had a brisk but normal opening. On the other Mr. Bills we attempted the same day, one worked but we were spinning a little bit on a VX 90 loaded around 4.9 before I let go, another one I deployed slightly head low and Sluggo didn't have a very good grip and fell off, we tried that one again and it worked well, and then the last one we've already discussed :)
Sean and Phil, thanks again for getting the main and freebag so quickly and saving it from any damage. Ole, I had turned around to look at the main and see where it was heading, and I was hoping one of you guys would at least spot it. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt trying to recover my gear though. Leah, the beer is always appreciated ;). Thanks for being there and your concern and everything else that you do ;).

Martini, do all the Mr. Bills you want, I just didn't want anyone thinking that I thought they were a good idea. Be sure to get video when you do B|.

There's a few other Mr. Bill videos on skydivingmovies.com, if you search for "Mr Bill" you should find them.:D
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I was looking in the general direction of your main/free bag, but initially more concerned with just seeing a second canopy (i.e. a reserve) in the air since I only saw one other at first. Sean and Phil were obviously on the ball for those though.

Phil, just admit you like hanging around skydivers that f-up since like rescuing them. :P

Phil, just admit you like hanging around skydivers that f-up since like rescuing them. :P

First off, I don't know you all that well and would respectfully request you not base an opinion on what you think I do or not do to gain the respect of my pears. The absolute last thing I want to do while on the DZ is chase gear or take care of a broken person, I would rather be jumping. I chase gear and would tend to a broken person as I would want them to do the same for me if I was hurt or I had to cut-away. Yes I work in the public safety field, but I don't wish death and destruction upon the public so I can be the "Hero". I especially do not want a fellow jumper to F_up so I can take care of them or their gear for self gratification. I have been humbeled by senior jumpers and yes I teased Brian a bit chasng his equipment, I consider Brian a friend and it was all in jest and he knew that.

Please take a little time to think before you post next time as I do not want any jumper to ever F-up, but if I am there when they have some type of incident I will do whatever I can for them as I have been taught to do so by mentors in sport.

Yes I work in the public safety field...it was all in jest and I thought you knew that.

Sorry if you took it wrong - I thought that was what the emoticon was for, as I intended the second part. (copying your quote and inserting my own thought). Although I occasionally have foot in mouth disease, nothing ill was intended here. Due to being small and having a nasal voice, I've endured more than my fair share of teasing from others through life, so it's always a pleasant surprise to NOT having people make fun of me (e.g. you, Brian and others) while skydiving. Compared to others on DZ.com, it sounds like all three of us are tame on both ends of the spectrum (temper and teasing). :)

Ole,

I am not angry thus the mellow response in my post. Even though you put a :P does not mean a hill of crap to some folks. If I was able to continue in sport and never see another F-up I would be a very happy man. Fact is though in this sport I have discovered Mr. Murphy is also a skydiver who does nothing but rodeos. I will do whatever it helps to assist another jumper as long it is within my abilty or control. Please just be careful in how you decide to word posts as some folks don't know either of us and might get the wrong idea. I tried not to come across harsh and I am sorry if I did so, but being very new to sport and trying my best to follow in the steps of my mentors I do not need any type of obstcles placed in my path. I come from a DZ that is very safety conscious and the last thing I want to be labled with is someone who wishes or desires F-ups on the part of my fellow skydivers so I can be a "hero, friend or whatever" cause I helped them out.

As far as temper and teasing is concerned, I will tease in jest as I did to Brian. WIth that said you have never seen my temper as I keep it locked away for special occasions ;)

No ill well intended.