1 1
JoeWeber

Bidens STFU address

My favorite moment was when Biden stared at the Supreme Court and gave them a sharp and public rebuke.

“With all due respect, justices, women are not without ... electoral or political power. You’re about to realize just how much …”

Maybe, just maybe, if Biden wins and both houses go Democrat Biden will finally realize the only way to beat the Court is to pack it.

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

My favorite moment was when Biden stared at the Supreme Court and gave them a sharp and public rebuke.

Sarah Longwell is a republican strategist and writer. And here's what she had to say about the speech:

For a lot of voters, they think the stakes are incredibly high. And I think their fear has been that Joe Biden can't hit, can't manage when the stakes are high. Isn't good enough to take us through this moment. And last night . . . he said what the swing voters needed to see. That this guy was all there. That he could do the job.

And I told you yesterday that the Republicans have made a mistake, because they set the bar at 'dementia.' And, look, if that's what 'dementia' looks like, I hope that's how I have 'dementia' when I'm older. Because he was on his game.

And he did that thing that Joe Biden is good at, where he sparred with republicans . . . but often was joking with them, smiling at them, egging them on a bit. And it gave this balance to the speech that I think worked really well for him.

And it was offense. I think he's been needing this shift. Changed the tone, and I think he nailed it.

You can tell that Biden did a great job based on the anger of republicans this morning.  They are fuming on Facebook.  "LIES!  IT'S ALL LIES!"

Meanwhile Trump asked McConnell to pick one of his favorites, Katie Britt, to deliver the response to the SOTU address.  What republicans thought of Britt's response:

“Everyone’s fucking losing it.  It’s one of our biggest disasters ever.”

“No one was surprised that McConnell’s handpicked senator resonated so poorly with the base.  But her performance was the stuff of nightmares and people were surprised by that."

Former Trump official Alyssa Farah Griffin: “Senator Katie Britt is a very impressive person. She ran a hell of race in [Alabama].  I do not understand the decision to put her in a KITCHEN for one of the most important speeches she’s ever given.”

Conservative commentator Allie Beth Stuckey: "The delivery was parody-level terrible, and I promise that didn’t sway any of those suburban moms we’re trying to reach."

Hope you are sitting down for this; Katie Britt may have been less than truthful about her sex-trafficking story:

Rolling Stone: Sex Trafficking Survivor Calls Out Katie Britt for Misrepresenting Her Story

Shortly after the speech aired, independent journalist Jonathan M. Katz identified the woman in Britt’s story as Karla Jacinto, who was trafficked in Mexico, not the U.S., between 2004 and 2008 — more than a decade before Biden assumed the presidency. 

15 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Hope you are sitting down for this; Katie Britt may have been less than truthful about her sex-trafficking story:

Britt is going with the "oh, yeah, I knew that" defense.  According to her office, the story was "100% correct, and there are more innocent victims of that kind of disgusting, brutal trafficking by the cartels than ever before right now."

Britt herself said that "listening to her story, she is a victim’s right advocate who is telling, this is what drug cartels are doing, this is how they’re profiting off of women.  And it is disgusting. And so I am hopeful that it brings some light to it.”

Of course, it turns out it wasn't cartels either, it was just a professional pimp.  But why let facts ruin a perfectly good . . . . SNL quality rant.

18 hours ago, Stumpy said:

Scarlett Johanssen nailed her to the wall in the post SOTU sendup. Very well done indeed.

Not unlike Tina Fey parodying Sarah Palin, it's best to watch a mash up of both Britt & Johanssen, first one saying a bit, then the other saying the same part.
In this case, Johanssen took some liberties with what Britt said.

When Tina Fey did it, all she changed was the inflection and the timing. And it was truly brutal.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not unlike Tina Fey parodying Sarah Palin, it's best to watch a mash up of both Britt & Johanssen, first one saying a bit, then the other saying the same part.

Here is one: