Avikus

Safety Day - New piece of gear

Hi everyone! 

I got task to give a presentation at our Safety Day in March following a conversation I had last year with someone that just bought a full face helmet and the steps they would need to do when it comes to start jumping with one. 

So I came here to see if I can get a few more ideas to give a more complete presentation. So what piece gear would you think require some "warning" or tip & tricks when first jumping with them?

Here's my ideas at of now but please add details/items if you have ideas:

- Full face helmet - When to close/open it, practice the opening sequence
              - Shaded visor (bleh) 
- Digital Alti - When to turn it on/off, what to know about them, pro/con compare to analogue, battery change if require
- Audible Alti - When to turn it on/off, not a replacement for visual alti, battery change if require
- New lines - What to know about lines, hop n pop or full altitude on first jump, when to change them
- New canopy - How to downsize/change type, when are you ready to change, hop n pop or full altitude of first jump
- Camera - When you can have one, what to look for, different mount, cut away system
- Jump suits - Material and discipline 
- Skydiving gloves - When to wear them and what they should be
- EP handles, D-ring or Soft ?

So does anything comes up beside that? Also, what would you like to be present during a presentation on these items that I might forget?

Appreciate the help!

You didn't articulate what advice you give concerning full face helmets, but one thing you might want to have in that briefing is to open the visor if a water landing appears eminent.

Jumpers - one that I can confirm - have drown after landing in water with the visor closed when the helmet rapidly filled with water.

Some may advise to remove the helmet before landing, but submerged items like logs, rocks, and debris can still be an issue.

9 hours ago, Avikus said:

I got task to give a presentation at our Safety Day...  So I came here to see if I can get a few more ideas...

I mean no disrespect, but at 4 years, 450 jumps, and this list of questions, are you sure you should be giving this presentation, or rather should you be attending it? Why aren't the highly experienced instructors and riggers at your dz giving the talks?

(edited)

Oh is that what my profile says!? Bahahaha! I should change that!

Edit: Fixed. Tho I wouldn't judge too much on someone's profile. I haven't been on this site in for ever and I just came here to get ideas to what to present, which already paid up! Thanks guys!

Edited by Avikus

AAD servicing - especially:

1) Auto-shutdown feature of Vigils (idk about Cypress) - reminder to turn AAD off at the end of the day manually because they will shut themselves down after 14 hours, but if you leave the rig at DZ overnight with AAD On, it may shut itself down juuust in-between the rig check and boarding the your firts load the next day

2) battery servicing periods for different models

3) Activation altitudes and speeds for different modes

7 hours ago, kleggo said:

emergency handles?

Best practice IMO = Loop for cutaway, D ring for reserve - belly fly and WS, though I do use a soft cutaway handle for CReW

I had the same opinion for quite a few years. Then I got a soft handle on both sides. Unfortunately, I have had about 6 chops since the change to soft handles. However, I have never had an issue with soft handles. Therefore, my opinion has changed. MUCH less of a snag hazard and the actual function of grabbing and pulling to save myself has not changed at all. It was rather easy. I would never go back to such a giant snag hazard. I do understand your opinion, as I once had it, but I will never go back to it. 

Ody 

• Like 2