corpkid

Skydive Deland questions

Going to be up there for 12 days working through AFF and hopefully getting close to Class A with my buddy. We were wondering a few things.

1) Is there anything to do at night on the DZ proper (or near by)? Bonfire, etc.?

2) Where should we stay? I called and they don't have RV hookups so that's out. We could do a bunkhouse thing. We just want to be really close to the DZ as we plan to be on the first plane up in the morning every day (our goal is get the req'd jumps for a class A license in 2 weeks). I will have a car.

3) Are there places to eat nearby? It's been a LONG time since I've been to Deland and can't remember the area very well.

Thanks
Dominic

corpkid

3) Are there places to eat nearby? It's been a LONG time since I've been to Deland and can't remember the area very well.

If I recall correctly, there are two restaurants very close to the dz (I think one of them is actually at the dz and more of a snack thing) at the airport... I'm sure someone will correct me.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yes to most of your observations :)
Not really big on the bonfire thing though, lots of biz jets visit DeLand and the compromise is basicailly limited large cookouts.

There is one of the best places to eat in skydiving right on the field. And yes , it is NOT a snack thing :)
There is camping basically right at the "peas." The only drawback is the occasional jet at 3 am. There is a rv park across the street, I don't have the specifics at the moment. The DZ' doesn't have hookups, just a parking lot. But the shower facilities are some of the best as are the other amenities everyone provides to ensure your success! The RV park is across the street and your going to have to do leg work to find their number. Your implying you have a RV? Why isn't it self contained? Most can do a week without hookups.

C

Allthough

DeLand is the education center of the planet as far as skydiving is concerned. I always point out that learning according to a schedule isn't something that I personally support. Kind of takes away from the fun if you ask me. Yo learn at the rate that is best for your abilities. If you don't get your lic in a week, this isn't the end of the game so to speak....although I understand your motivations,...some things take time.

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Thanks ChrisD!

We are going to bunk up at the comfort inn which seems to be about 5 mins from the DZ (and has free i'net and hot breakfast).

I agree with your statement re: not rushing it but we both have a lot of tunnel time, and rarely get to see each other (best buds since 5th grade (we are in our mid-30's) and 1500 miles apart) so we really do want to have fun AND knock this out so we can do some fun jumps together at Eloy next summer. It's kind of our MO (we seem to be lockstep in all of our successes like work, etc). We both work in high pressure high level IT roles, and project/schedules/etc plans are par for the course (as is high pressure!). We see this as "fun". My buddy was on his back in the tunnel the second he heard I had started back fly. That's us. LOL

Finally no, I don't own an RV but we though we might rent one, but we have no idea how to manage one so we bailed on that idea (though I keep insisting it would be more fun) and went with the hotel thing. It's pretty cheap at $80/night.

We are looking forward to meeting the community and just, well, having fun while progressing. Thank you so much for your advice. :)

Ya know Eloy has a heck of a winter as well! Axis, Airspeed, and a host of others flock there to avoid the cold. Students can't do much better than this....Airfare is a little pricier though.

ya ought to give campin a try at DeLand it really isn't all that bad? And the local spot restaurant makes a better breakfast than that modified continental thing down the street.

ya know forida has a number of really great places. DeLand clearly has more loads during the week than the rest though!

Ask here if anyone want's to put you guys up???

Anyways have fun

C

Bonfire.... No.

Places to stay. Depends on what you want. One of the great things about DeLand is that it is basically in a small city. You can go from camping on the DZ, bunk houses (I think Chromy still has one), hotels, to finding an RV park nearby.

Places to eat. The DZ has a restaurant. There is an airport restaurant that used to have fantastic burgers. And like I said earlier you are in a small city so there is a bunch of places to eat from fast food (Wendy's) to dine in food (Friendly's) to really nice restaurants. Emmy's used to have nice German food and it is not that far. The Blind Pig used to be a nice place to get a brew...

Basically, you can get just about anything you want/within a budget there.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

restaurant 50 feet away from the landing area, experienced, is IMO the best one I have ever been to at a DZ. Hours, variety, and freshness. It is open morning to late every day and frequently plays something live every popular week end. You would have to be nutws to go to a Wendy's or that other shithoe Friendly's.

There's something I'm not getting here,... you live in Orlando? This place is like an hour away??? As are many other fine dz's all within driving distance???

C

Ditto the airport burger thing, but the hours are limited...

restaurant 50 feet away from the landing area, experienced, is IMO the best one I have ever been to at a DZ. Hours, variety, and freshness. It is open morning to late every day and frequently plays something live every popular week end. You would have to be nutws to go to a Wendy's or that other shithoe Friendly's.

He asked a question, I gave him what I saw as a complete answer. Giving him ALL the options available (Like I did with Camping/Chromy's/RV/Hotel). And Wendy's and Friendlies are all options there (along with other options). Eating at one place will get old quick.

The perfect spot can have good food. I have also had bad food there and I have had food that took DAYS to get prepared. I have seen cycles there between good and bad. DZ standards? Might be better than others, but I have had just as good of food at the bombshelter and the bent prop as well and Chicago at one time had AMAZING food (2001-2003ish). When hanging out in DeLand we normally went into town and didn't stay at the DZ longer than a beer or two.

This is one of the things about DeLand. Locals normally jump like hell and then get off the DZ unless there is an event. They normally go home, get cleaned up, and head into town to get food.

There's something I'm not getting here,... you live in Orlando? This place is like an hour away??? As are many other fine dz's all within driving distance???

I don't consider myself a DeLand local anymore. But I was there enough at one time to end up getting married to a manifest chick (got married on the DZ actually) and was on at least two skydiving teams from there. Since then I have lived in NC, Dallas and now South Florida. I lived on the DZ in Zhills for a while as well.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Listen to Ron. He nailed it pretty good - except for the part about Friendlies. They were so bad that they are no longer in business. Replaced by a Sunny's (SP?).

If you think you want to hang out at the DZ after the beer light comes on, read this again...

Locals normally jump like hell and then get off the DZ unless there is an event.

except for the part about Friendlies. They were so bad that they are no longer in business.

Huh, we used to just go there for ice cream.... Is Holliday House still open? Do they now also suck?

What about Emmy's?

No , no Ron,...

I love you man!

I just posted again to add something cause I'm in a real supporting mode right now, cause they are continuing to feed me good.

IS the op an hour away?

and Yes I agree local jumpers tend to jump and go this can be a bit of the vibe that I have mentioned in other past posts. As well as the environment can be stuffy when this place is in full learning mode with big events at the same time.

Way too many come and go just to coach make a buck and leave, but isn't this an issue at many places that run 7 days. Perris can be very stuffy and I frequently hear many newbies get lost there in a similar fashion???

C

B|

Awesome - sounds like we'll have fun no matter what. We are actually staying at a bunkhouse now very close the DZ. I'll have my car. The reason we are staying up there as being in our AFF, we want to get out super early every day before wind/bad weather. The drive can be 1 to 1 1/2 hours if there's traffic, which I-4 is notorious for. We will be going back and forth a few days over our 2 week "adventure."

That's why I asked about your distance! Because where I'm at, at the moment, and just like a large majority of people across this great land of ours is that we all would kill for an hours drive to any DZ!

I'm sure you will love Deland and all of the fine folks you will meet there!

C

:)