timski

Solar Maximum!

17 minutes ago, timski said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_maximum

Seems to be a little ahead of schedule... Hang in their desert dwellers and Floridians. It's gonna get hotter. 

Well, yeah, because it usually gets hotter in August.

But for companies like Globalstar, Inmarsat and SpaceX, the solar maximum (once we hit it in a few years) will be a big deal - since the increased solar wind and CME events will perturb both satellite orbits and space communication.  It can even affect communication here on Earth.  (Google Carrington Event.)

2 hours ago, billvon said:

But for companies like Globalstar, Inmarsat and SpaceX, the solar maximum (once we hit it in a few years) will be a big deal - since the increased solar wind and CME events will perturb both satellite orbits and space communication.  It can even affect communication here on Earth.  (Google Carrington Event.)

An event on that level will happen someday and the disruption it causes will be monumental. Party on.

23 hours ago, gowlerk said:

An event on that level will happen someday and the disruption it causes will be monumental. Party on.

Yup, life is good with power. When you can no longer go to the frig and get a snack, well, MANY will cease to exist.  

23 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I am _just_ concerned enough about that that I am hardening my power system to avoid failures if that occurs.

59 minutes ago, billvon said:

I am _just_ concerned enough about that that I am hardening my power system to avoid failures if that occurs.

If you're scared I'm petrified. How do you harden a lithium/solar system like we have on the Peoples Republic of Joe?

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

If you're scared I'm petrified. How do you harden a lithium/solar system like we have on the Peoples Republic of Joe?

DC and AC surge protectors, ferrites to slow the rise of fast pulses, shorting disconnects for external power sources (like solar.)  They also reduce EMI and improve EMC which is nice.

Sol-Ark has done a fair amount of work on this.  They have EMP hardened versions of their 8K, 12K and 15K inverters, and have a few other components that are EMP resistant.

https://www.sol-ark.com/e-m-p/

• Like 1

(edited)
On 7/18/2023 at 5:00 PM, billvon said:

But for companies like Globalstar, Inmarsat and SpaceX, the solar maximum (once we hit it in a few years) will be a big deal 

I like how you think that the sun recognizes "our" sense of time. 

https://youtu.be/GeZZr_p6vB8

Edited by timski