1 1
section5

Selling my rig

Question

I’m selling my rig. What happens after I get an acceptable offer? If they want it sent to a rigger how can I trust that?  Can anyone just give me a quick walk-through? I’d rather try here first before eBay.

3 answers to this question

(edited)

Gear sales typically require a rigger to do a full inspection. This protects both the buyer and the seller physically and financially. First an full inspection confirms that all of the gear is fully airworthy ... keeping the buyer alive.

Secondly, riggers often act as neutral third parties in financial transactions.

When I worked for Square One (Perris Valley, California) I was the middle=man in dozens of used gear sales. Basically, the seller left it with Square One - on consignment. SQ1 riggers inspected and repacked the reserve, AAD and harness/container. We also did a full inspection on the main. We also completed any minor repairs or Service bulletins. That was about $120 in labour. Then the rigger wrote a report and handed the report to sales staff, who shared the report with both buyer and seller. Once money changed hands, SQ1's sales department shipped the gear to the buyer.

Since then I have acted as middle-man in dozens of other gear sales. People know better than to try to sell ratty old gear through me because I have a reputation as a narrow-minded, control-freak of a fascist when it comes to parachute repairs. I have also refused to be involved in a few deals that would have seen a tiny parachute sold to a junior jumper. Riggers have to look out for the health of their junior customers if they want repeat business next year.

Edited by riggerrob
add a sentence
  • Like 1

I’ve bought gear here, but not sold it. A local rigger (maybe Mark or Brian) can tell you a fair asking price if you’re still in the area (I’m a Jumptown jumper). An inspection costs money, but you can add it to the price.  If it’s the rig in your profile, that’s a popular size — have you posted it at the DZ’s closest to you? Because selling it locally can be the easiest.

There are people who can broker the deal; often it’s a local trusted rigger; in the Atlanta area, Chuting Star brokers deals I’m told. Basically after the agreement, they hold the rig and receive the money, then forward each to the rightful location.

There’s a New England Skydiving Gear Facebook group, to go along with the national skydiving gear for sale group.

Good luck; I hope it’s new and fun horizons that are causing the rig sale.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

Read Rob's post.

The 'big gear shops' (Chutingstar, SQ1, a few others) will offer escrow services. Chutingstar has it on their website.
https://www.chutingstar.com/rigging-services

Alternatively, any rigger that you and the buyer can agree on will often do this.

As above, you send the gear to the rigger. He inspects (for a fee) and tells the buyer that the gear is worth the price (and that it actually exists). Buyer sends money to rigger. Once funds are in hand, he sends funds to seller and gear to buyer.

It's a small enough sport that finding a rigger whom you both can trust that will do this isn't all that hard.