billvon

Christians leaving the Church

There is a growing movement among Christians to maintain their faith - but to leave their church.  As of 2017, 10% of the Christians in America are "dechurched" i.e. they still believe in the precepts of Christianity but no longer want to be associated with their (or any) church.  A Medium article seeks to explain this phenomenon.  In it, the author lists several barriers that Christians see between them and an established church.  These include:

Normalization.  Most Christian churches place women in subservient roles within the church, and many women do not want to associate with an organization that sets a model for their daughters that they are the subservient sex.  (And in fact women are leaving churches faster than men.)

Politics.  Many Christians can no longer stomach the alignment between Christian churches and right wing politics.  The author describes Christians who "walk away from the church because they can’t reconcile why the church supports political parties that want to build economic wealth while turning away the refugee and oppressing the minority."

Sexuality.  Only heteronormative people are really accepted by churches these days.  That of course excludes gay, trans and nonbinary people, and these people are leaving in droves.  In addition, as LGBT barriers are slowly broken down, even straight cis Christians are realizing that they have friends and family who are LGBT - and they do not want to participate in a church that treats them as lepers.

Anyway, good read below.

https://medium.com/backyard-theology/the-rise-of-churchless-christians-c16dfc8452c3

https://www.barna.com/research/meet-love-jesus-not-church/

• Like 2

(edited)

I agree with your initial premise but the points mentioned are foreign to me. The Christian conferences I have attended believe the Covid lockdown was the primary reason. In my experience that holds true for right-wing veterans groups also.

Scripture teaches that the great apostasy will occur in the last days. Is this just prophecy being  fulfilled?

"Church is not a building you go to, but a family you belong to."

Jesus knows those who are His and listen to His voice.

Edited by RonD1120

23 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Scripture teaches that the great apostasy will occur in the last days. Is this just prophecy being  fulfilled?

?? No.  The opposite.  Apostatsy is abandoning of one's faith.  Keeping to one's faith (say, in Jesus) but leaving a church that no longer expresses those values is the opposite of apostasy.  You said it yourself:

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

I agree with your initial premise but the points mentioned are foreign to me. The Christian conferences I have attended believe the Covid lockdown was the primary reason. In my experience that holds true for right-wing veterans groups also.

The non-Q veterans I know, and the groups we belong to, are in complete disagreement with you.