Boomerdog

Why collapse a slider?

tan

In fact, I think you should manage everything (slider, chest strap, etc) while the brakes are still stowed, because the canopy is flying slower and flatter, therefore giving you more reaction time. Once your hands are in the toggles, concentration should only be on flying the canopy.

I can't think of any reason to undo your chest strap with the brakes stowed. I can think of one very important reason to do it with the toggles in your hands. The reason is that if you have a problem with one of your steering lines and you don't see it before taking the toggles, you might have to cutaway with your chest strap loosened, which will make more difficult to reach your handles.

Deimian

I can think of one very important reason to do it with the toggles in your hands. The reason is that if you have a problem with one of your steering lines and you don't see it before taking the toggles, you might have to cutaway with your chest strap loosened, which will make more difficult to reach your handles.

Thank you for making me rethink my procedures! I've always flown on rears to keep things slow and maintain altitude while making my canopy and harness adjustments, but given the number of Youtube videos showing locked steering lines, I'm definitely taking up your point here.

http://iloveskydiving.org/view/videos/friday-freakout-skydive-malfunction-ground-rush-cypres-save/

This is why you don't undo your chest strap before releasing your toggles. He pulled his slider over after sitting in brakes and it released a toggle. He started spinning trying to fix it, chopped and couldn't find his reserve handle. The aad fired and the reserve slowed him down enough to survive.

After you stow your slider, then release your brakes and then undo the chest strap. And do it immediately after opening. Don't wait till you get to the landing pattern to check your canopy.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

WintersKnight

Isn't the primary use of a slider to adjust the deployment of the parachute? Also to keep the lines untangled during deployment. I'm new to the sport and I'm starting my AFP next week, doing a second tandem today. So I don't know much. Is there any other reason to have the slider open?

It's to slow the opening. We BASE jump at slower speeds without one to open fast. We use a tailgate to prevent line overs slider down. Skydiving people collapse and stow slider to open up the risers for more performance and less drag.
BASE 1519

Yes the slider slows the opening to acceptable forces and then its job is done and it's just in the way. It serves no purpose once you are open. I prefer to remove it completely. Another point I realized the other day was that by bringing it down you can greatly extend the life of your brake lines. If the brake line doesn't have to go through the grommet while you're yanking it up and down, all the better for the lines.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

airtwardo

...with big fat student canopies or similarly sized wings the induced and parasite drag of the main canopy are so high that the little parasite drag of the slider won't really matter anyway.

Wanna BET?! :ph34r:

Maybe as a STUDENT you don't notice the difference, but put a few thousand jumps on 'big - fat' canopies & you'll see a definite & marked improvement regarding performance.

I have a few large canopies used for demo jumps...I've gone to removable sliders on most of them. Pull the release handle and as the slider comes off & the drag is gone - & the risers get full spread ~ it's like lighting the afterburner! B|

Or do it the really old way.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals