pottesur

AFF Level 2 helps instructor out

Andy9o8

What ever happened to main side disengages and tracks at pull time? There's a reason for that.

Could be a regional variation. The way I learned to do PFF in Canada, for example, both instructors maintain contact and keep the student stable until the student is pulled from their grip.

If the student had a deployment problem, main side could assist while reserve side maintains stability and is backup in the rare case a reserve pull is needed. (eg, for deployment issues, I've seen the bag not clearing the burble, or the student holding on to pilot chute)

Although clearly in this case the instructor became a hazard ...

Now someone has to take a screenshot so there's a picture of a pilot chute on an AFFI's 'regular' video camera, not just the photo that's out there of a pilot chute on a GoPro.

Whatever method may be better, there are accepted variations out there.

pchapman

Now someone has to take a screenshot so there's a picture of a pilot chute on an AFFI's 'regular' video camera, not just the photo that's out there of a pilot chute on a GoPro.

Whatever method may be better, there are accepted variations out there.

Like these?;)

The student did a great job helping out. It is worth mentioning that the mainside did well getting away from her frontside. It's not a place I'd want to be with a PC out.

The first AFF fatality (so I'm told) occurred when an instructor was in front of a deploying student. The student's feet kicked up into the instructor's chin breaking her neck, killing her on landing. John Mitchell may have better info, as I believe he was jumping at Cedar Valley UT when this occurred. John?

DSE

The first AFF fatality (so I'm told) occurred when an instructor was in front of a deploying student. The student's feet kicked up into the instructor's chin breaking her neck, killing her on landing. John Mitchell may have better info, as I believe he was jumping at Cedar Valley UT when this occurred. John?

No, I was up in Seattle at the time but was friends with her. Very tough thing, very wonderful woman died on that jump. [:/]

I'm not sure all the details, just heard maybe hard opening, maybe a little out of position, or that the students feet were spread really far apart. A lot of surmising, but I never heard any clear cut analysis of the incident.

I'm lucky to have long arms and can keep my noggin off to the side when riding thru.

Probably not the one you were talking about.

I was reserve side (several years ago) and the main side had a camera, but the pilot chute got hooked on the eye piece, not the camera. Main side JM looked up and it cleared. Student saw the whole thing....didn't freak just kept a good body position.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

No, what I'm talking about was floating on facebook about 2-3 years ago.

After that video or picture came out, we changed our policy to NOT to wear Gopro when you are doing main side. Until AFF level 4.

and that lead to talk about how one person went in at the bridge due to PC wrapping around the gopro mount.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016