extremeshannon

Beech 18 and Turboliner

stratostar

A Beech 18/Turboliner can haul 12 to 19 jumpers depending upon empty weight, gross weight and balance.

How old school of you.... how many of those will be standing forward for TO? ;):P

Like I said earlier: "The best way to balance is to insist that all skydivers wear seat-belts."
That implies that all their butts are securely strapped to benches or the floor.
While I may have leaned over the pilot's shoulder, when taking off in Beech 18s, ... I am glad that youthful foolishness is behind me now. These days I refuse to fly in any airplane that needs people leaning over the pilot's shoulder for balance.

stratostar

A Beech 18/Turboliner can haul 12 to 19 jumpers depending upon empty weight, gross weight and balance.

How old school of you.... how many of those will be standing forward for TO? ;):P

at arthur they painted a black line inside the fuselage - to indicate that if your ass was behind the line during a problem takeoff - you have to throw yourself out the door to save the rest of the load....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

skypuppy

at arthur they painted a black line inside the fuselage - to indicate that if your ass was behind the line during a problem takeoff - you have to throw yourself out the door to save the rest of the load....

Similar to the red line now painted on the floors of most Skyvans.

riggerrob

If you are only going to rent them for the weekend and they come with experienced pilots and mechanics, that vastly simplifies your decision tree.

The best way to balance skydivers is to insist that they all wear seatbelts. Just clip the seat-belts onto existing cargo-tie-down-rings. Just ensure that they are the double-anchor type cargo tie-downs. Hint: ask Jack Hooker for a quote on seat-belts. (Hooker Harness in Illinois).

Beech 18s are approved for flight with the door removed.
Double-check the Turbo-liner manual, but I suspect that it is also okay to fly without the cargo door.

Riggerrob,
Thanks for the info. I know the Beech 18 will only carry about 12 jumps after we sat down and did the weight and balance. I have got a quote from Hooker on seat belts. The only thing missing is were we can fly with the door off. We have been looking for months for this. There is an STC SA69CE for this but I am not having any luck contacting the person.

This is an aircraft I am able to use when we need with a seasonaed pilot and machanics on staff. The plane is used for cargo but the Turboliner is used more. So I can get a decent deal on the Beech 18 per load.

Thanks again

Have you looked in the AFM?

If it states anywhere in it that the door may be removed for flight you're golden. No other approval needed. Check specifically in the Limitations section. If there's even just a blurb about airspeed with door removed this would be good.

I just checked and the FAA has changed AC105. The list of aircraft approved for flight with door removed has been removed itself from the Advisory Circular.
It does state, though, that the decision can be left to your local FSDO for this. You couldn't be in a better state for actual help from your FSDO.