2 2
JoeWeber

Christians don’t believe in Democracy

7 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

Jesus Christ is the foundation of the Church. “For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 3:11).

Excellent, quote the bible to prove the bible. Seriously, if consistency and integrity are of any concern,  the Mods should warn against it.

19 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

I wasn't proving the Bible. I was stating what it says.

You did it as a way of proving the bible. No matter. So, I don't doubt that you are justifiably proud of your special forces history. You should be and very much so. It's a rare and incredible accomplishment. But now that you're a member of the turn the other cheek army why do you now and here feel the need to so identify? It just seems inconsistent with your positions that, well, never mind.

42 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Ken is making money off religion?? Why wasn't i told about it? Have you got a church/flock on the side?

I actually have started my own religion. It's called Kenism. The first rule of Kenism is that no one is allowed to make money from Kenism. Especially not Ken.

(edited)
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

You did it as a way of proving the bible. No matter. So, I don't doubt that you are justifiably proud of your special forces history. You should be and very much so. It's a rare and incredible accomplishment. But now that you're a member of the turn the other cheek army why do you now and here feel the need to so identify? It just seems inconsistent with your positions that, well, never mind.

"Turn the other cheek" refers to being insulted. I do not believe this implies pacifism regarding warfare. All wars are evil. However, not all participants in war are necessarily evil. God is sovereign over nations and rulers. There can be an example of war where both sides are engaged in unjust conflict. There can also be an example where one nation acts as an aggressor against another. The governing authority of the nation being attacked in this case has both the right and responsibility to defend itself. This is just. No war can ever end evil in the world. However, there are many examples where war has stopped an aggressor and prevented destruction, and saved innocent peoples. In this fallen world, the solder is both necessary and justified as long as he/she is engaged in "just war." I agree that this can be complicated and I do not think America has always been engaged in "just war." The last war I was engaged in was in Afghanistan 2002. I believe that was a just war.

Edited by jaybird18c

(edited)
1 hour ago, jaybird18c said:

"Turn the other cheek" refers to being insulted. I do not believe this implies pacifism regarding warfare. All wars are evil. However, not all participants in war are necessarily evil. God is sovereign over nations and rulers. There can be an example of war where both sides are engaged in unjust conflict. There can also be an example where one nation acts as an aggressor against another. The governing authority of the nation being attacked in this case has both the right and responsibility to defend itself. This is just. No war can ever end evil in the world. However, there are many examples where war has stopped an aggressor and prevented destruction, and saved innocent peoples. In this fallen world, the solder is both necessary and justified as long as he/she is engaged in "just war." I agree that this can be complicated and I do not think America has always been engaged in "just war." The last war I was engaged in was in Afghanistan 2002. I believe that was a just war.

In the original post: I stated Christians don't believe in democracy. Let me change that based on your replies: Christians don't want democracy. The reason is that you want a theocracy based on your religion. And you are willing to kill to get it, as it has always been.

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

Jesus is the head of his church. Why would what other people do embarrass me? Now that's silly.

You realize, of course, that everything you think you know is wrong.

Let's start with your invisible friend, a supposedly omnipotent entity that took human form a couple of thousand years ago.  You use a name for him that raises a number of flags.  For one thing, there is no 'J' in either Hebrew or Aramaic, and I can't think of the Greek version. For another, the 'us' ending of the name is strictly Roman.

The bottom line is that the fable upon which you depend is a Roman invention used to wield power, the Magic Jewish Zombie bears only passing similarity to anyone who may or may not have existed in Judea in the time frame in question, and the bulk of the narrative is demonstrably nonsense.

As you were,

Winsor

8 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

...God is sovereign over nations and rulers. ... the solder is both necessary and justified as long as he/she is engaged in "just war."...

"When Russia invaded Ukraine, the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) did not hesitate to throw its support behind the Kremlin’s war against a neighboring Orthodox nation. Far from wavering, that support has only grown more strident as the war progressed. 

The reason is not just that the church is used to giving its blessing to any actions taken by the country’s leadership. Quite simply, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, head of the ROC, is betting on Putin’s tanks to preserve the institution of the church throughout the fallen empire.

Yet the more militant the patriarch’s rhetoric and the more visible he becomes in Russian propaganda,"

Yes god, Christians and war, all righteous.

in Russia Christians depended upon Prigozhin and tanks to sustain its importance.

In America they depend upon trump's propaganda.

8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

In the original post: I stated Christians don't believe in democracy. Let me change that based on your replies: Christians don't want democracy. The reason is that you want a theocracy based on your religion. And you are willing to kill to get it, as it has always been.

We live in a Republic, not a democracy. It is democratic, but representative. I don't know any American Christian who would EVER want a theocracy. And a Christian might kill to defend his country. However, he/she would NEVER kill to get what he/she wanted politically. What kind of nonsense are you talking about? I starting to think you're not smart enough to distinguish between a Christian and a radical muslim terrorist. Again, that's nonsense. It clearly shows that you don't really know much about what you're arguing against.

2 hours ago, winsor said:

You realize, of course, that everything you think you know is wrong.

Let's start with your invisible friend, a supposedly omnipotent entity that took human form a couple of thousand years ago.  You use a name for him that raises a number of flags.  For one thing, there is no 'J' in either Hebrew or Aramaic, and I can't think of the Greek version. For another, the 'us' ending of the name is strictly Roman.

The bottom line is that the fable upon which you depend is a Roman invention used to wield power, the Magic Jewish Zombie bears only passing similarity to anyone who may or may not have existed in Judea in the time frame in question, and the bulk of the narrative is demonstrably nonsense.

As you were,

Winsor

The scriptures were originally in Hebrew, some Aramaic, and Greek. What are you arguing against, an English translation of a word from that language? That sounds dumb.

(edited)
1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

The soldier must do what the soldier must do. Follow orders. It is not his place to determine justification.

You're wrong. I've sat in mandatory briefings with lawyers prior to deployment to discuss rules of engagement. They specifically talked about situations where an order might be unlawful or ethically wrong. The solder would have a duty to disobey. Have you ever served in a combat unit?

Edited by jaybird18c

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

"When Russia invaded Ukraine, the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) did not hesitate to throw its support behind the Kremlin’s war against a neighboring Orthodox nation. Far from wavering, that support has only grown more strident as the war progressed. 

The reason is not just that the church is used to giving its blessing to any actions taken by the country’s leadership. Quite simply, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, head of the ROC, is betting on Putin’s tanks to preserve the institution of the church throughout the fallen empire.

Yet the more militant the patriarch’s rhetoric and the more visible he becomes in Russian propaganda,"

Yes god, Christians and war, all righteous.

in Russia Christians depended upon Prigozhin and tanks to sustain its importance.

In America they depend upon trump's propaganda.

I don't doubt for one minutes that there have been in history and are currently certain churches and church leadership which are very corrupt. I would argue that the Roman Catholic Church has been fairly consistent in its corruption. I can't speak to the Russian Orthodox Church. I don't know enough about it. Besides, I'm talking about the christian's personal justification (conscience).

5 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

You're wrong. I've sat in mandatory briefings with lawyers prior to deployment to discuss rules of engagement. They specifically talked about situations where an order might be unlawful or ethically wrong. The solder would have a duty to disobey. Have you ever served in a combat unit?

I fully understand that some orders could be illegal as well as immoral. And that service members are under an obligation to know the difference. Let me re-phrase my statement to say that it is not the soldiers place to question if the "special military action" or whatever term the USA uses instead of a war declaration is justified or not.