extremeshannon

P206 Lexan door?

Good afternoon,
I am looking to find out pros and cons of a laxan door for a P206. I have never seen one in person and have heard good things about them. Not sold on the idea but would like toi find out more. If your DZ has a P206 or 182 with lexan roll up door please post pics and comments to help educate me and any others that would like to know more.

Thanks Shannon

The one drawback that I've seen is you lose a few inches of headroom. This is usually not a sure big deal for the jumpers but depending on the pilot when the door is pushed up they have to remember to duck or the door slams right into their head. Also while its up the pilot might have to slouch or move in their seat to avoid the door. It also requires an STC to install and its not free so there are some costs for it.

The Pros are the jumpers can spot somewhat with the door closed, there is no teaching jumpers how to secure the door, it provides a view for the tandems, the hinge is no longer a wear point, the pilot can close the door without having to slip and twist the plane to get the door to fall closed anymore.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

An issue I saw that was probably more related to the door itself than the STC was that the 206 door would always jam and fall off the track. I know it can happen on any door, but a roll up lexan has the issue more.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks for the feedback. All doors cost money and require approval. here are some of the Pros and Cons I think about the door.

Pros
Do not need to training pilots on slipping plane for door
No door outside to slam into a student
Almost 1 foot more of head room
less chance of tandem rigs scrapping door handle
less chance of tweaking the door on opening and closing (I have fixed my door seveal times already.)

Cons
1.25 inches of head clearance lost
possiblity of hitting pilots head
Cost (there is a cost associated with a modified door)

Please add to this list
Shannon

Bob Wright at Grand Bend Sport Parachute Centre in Ontario has a roll-up door on his 206. You could try contacting him, just google grand bend skydiving. There are some videos and pics of jumping on facebook, but not really focused on the door.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I assisted with the installation Of roll up lexan doors in P206, Wide body 182, and narrow body 182 while working for Fayard Enterprises. I also flew the wide body 182 equipped with the roll up door, It worked excellent and the little loss of head room was no big deal. If you are a tall pilot, an aggressive jumper can slam you in the side of the head with the door if they jerk it open without telling you. I always made it clear that I would tell the spotter when he/she could open the door. It was also nice to be able to crack the door during climb out on those hot summer days. The added head room while standing on the step was great for exits and closing the door was as simple as it can get, just reach up and slide the door shut. Larry Penttington at Skydive Suffolk has one of the P206's that we installed a lexan door on, you could give him a call. I highly recommend this style of door.

dzswoop717

There is currently no stc to install a roll up laxan door on a P206. The modification will need to be field approved.

Thanks for all the info. I have only seen Pros and not to many cons on this. Being a TI and AFF instructor I think it would make our life easier. I am working on contacting the right person to make sure I will be able to get field approval.

Thanks Shannon

Luckily Shannon you're in Alaska where the FAA is very user friendly and still willing to due Field Approvals.
Now you may be able to use an install from another model Cessna as your Acceptable Data when doing the 337. (Acceptable Data is the one thing that the FAA looks for when using the Field Approval process and using a previously approved 337 is the easiest way to obtain this data. Just make sure at the end of the Description paragraph in the ICA it states "this install is similar to the previously approved Form 337, dated ??/??/????, on N?????). Being that the basic design of small single engine piston Cessnas are similar. A lexan door install in a 182 could probably suffice.
Ask your FSDO.

Hi totter,

you're in Alaska where the FAA is very user friendly

This is my biggest complaint with the FAA. Decisions are quite often based upon the whim of the specific FAA-type that you're dealing with.

A FAA-type in Alaska might be very willing to do an approval and another one in Tulsa will say 'No way.'

It is absolutely nutz.

:S

JerryBaumchen

'Cause you can't teach those guys anything!!! Just kidding...

Really. I hope I'm not painting with too broad a brush here, and to be honest, I've worked "with" some really decent feds over the years. The thing is though, at least on the FSDO side, I'd guess that their reputation for being agreeable to field approvals was viewed unfavorably down in America, so here we are now.

Well that sucks!

I guess the one thing with Anchorage is that it's a training FSDO. I've known a few inspectors that have had ANC as their first assignment so it seems reasonable that it would reflect the happenings of the lower 48.

To bad you can't try Fairbanks or Juneau.