gunsmokex

Advice PRCP

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for helping a guy who keeps f*in up his PRCP's >:(

I've gotten two successful PRCP's and they felt really good, great arch went sweet. The other fails I tried to go too damn fast to try and and grab my fake ripcord before the bridles come out. Guess its just the stop of momentum that gets me because a couple of times I've had it in my hand pulled it 1/2 way and then let go to reach up the instinctively grab the bridles. Not sure why I do this but I did get some damn good bridle bruises once or twice on my shoulders.

Anyways I think I'm only overly stressing myself about it, been told I just need to calm down and relax, less Mtn Dew and less cigarettes lol. But I just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice, tips, pointers or exercies they give their students on static line. I plan on practicing about 100 of them arching against a wall Fri and another 100 on so Sat morn before jumping on Sat.

On the plus side I think I'm starting to the get the hang of piloting the canopy and better at flaring in different wind conditions.

Thanks

Your instructors are right. Remember a couple of things about the PRCP. One is that you are simulating opening your parachute -- that's one of the most important things you do on a skydive, and you need to finish it, even if your canopy opens. Just because something distracts you, don't quit. The other is that yes, you're learning more about canopy control and that's great.
It took me several to get to freefall too. They're hard

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

gunsmokex

I've gotten two successful PRCP's and they felt really good, great arch went sweet. The other fails I tried to go too damn fast to try and and grab my fake ripcord before the bridles come out. Guess its just the stop of momentum that gets me because a couple of times I've had it in my hand pulled it 1/2 way and then let go to reach up the instinctively grab the bridles. Not sure why I do this but I did get some damn good bridle bruises once or twice on my shoulders.

I think you mean the "risers". Risers are the four straps which connect your parachute lines to your harness. The bridle is the webbing which connects your pilot chute to the top of your parachute.

I did 19 PRCP's before I got to freefall so failing twice is weak sauce.

Without knowing what kind of static line set up or what kind of handle you use its somewhat hard to give much advice. However the advice already given on not giving up is the best. If you can't locate the handle and the canopy already opens its best to still check where the handle is located as it typically gets to move around when the canopy opens and the container empties up.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

*face palm* Ugh yes I meant risers. That would suck to get a bridle bruise lol, no even quit sure if that's possible but that be one hell of a mal.

...finish it, even if your canopy opens. Just because something distracts you, don't quit.

Great advice that's what my instructors have said as well. It just an natural reaction that I have to stabilize myself so I almost do it instinctively. This time I WILL finish it. Thanks Becky.

I'm curious - did your instructors give you any further or more specific advice other "relax", "calm down", etc.?

Andy yes they did I guess I didn't elaborate more than what I said. But basically keeping the upper body still in one symetrical fluid motion as I go for my pull. I think the best advice I got last time which I plan on doing this time is to just relax arch for one second and then go for my pull. So I will focus on my arch. I've already messed up getting turned over a bit because instead of putting my hand on my head I barely moved it causing me to turn slightly which caused me to completely mess up. So I know NOT to do that again. I also know not to go too slow, did that once and no ludicrous speed pulls!

Mainly though in my own mindset to get myself calmed down and in focus, I am going to arch and then let my muscle memory take over after a nice arch ignoring the risers and the parachute and grab that sucker again!

Anyways jumping tommorrow again! Didn't jump last week the wind was a little too gusty and no jumping. Weather looks perfect for tomorrow though! Blue skies!!

I've always told students that PRCP jumps are tricky, because you're making a static line jump but pretending to make a freefall jump. I tell them not to try to be faster than the chute opening, but to ignore the canopy and finish the task of pulling their handle.

But it doesn't count if they leave, arch, open, then pull. The canopy can't "wake them up", so to speak. ;)

it might help to look at your arch as a comfortable, legs back, hips down, and chin UP, event...That can be accomplished if you do your best to SEE the plane as you go..:)
Does your PRCP instruction include a wave off ??? Or just "arch and Pull "?
Whatever you've been taught, Ease into that, with a smooth fluid move TO your Handle, and then a good strong Pull.....B|

It will come to you.. You can practice this on the ground, In gear and preferably laying on an instruction "horse" or creeper.... Create the instinctive feel for where the handle IS. Place your entire open Palm on it and then close your hand around it. I'd think that would be better than simply going for it, with your fingertips.....
You're falling slow... at this point in the jump AND the canopy is gonna deploy regardless.:|:S;). so relax , exit, arch, get squared away in the relative wind, and do a textbook PRCP.....Don't Rush....But don't dilly-dally either ...:o:S ( hahaha When's the last time you saw the term Dilly-Dally ????? :)Safe Autumn.....
jmy
edited to change DRCP to PRCP...
it used to be "dummy rip cord pull " back when " the wind technician load " was called " the wind dummy load "...
it's best to stay up with the times. :)

Just thought I'd update you all. Got my PRCP and got my first clear and pull! Went perfectly smooth. Just had to slow myself down and focused on the arch. Hopefully the weather will be nice for another clear and pull and onto my 10 sec delay this weekend.

Only thing that freaked me out was I realized that the longer I don't pull the faster I will be going so I went at PRCP pace and pulled a bit quicker than I probably should have, but all is good. I'm happy to finally have earned the title of being called a "skydiver" since I lost my static line umbilical cord!

Congratulations! My first freefall is still one of my most memorable jumps.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)