Edjglass920

Need opinions

I was hoping to get a few opinions, I broke my ankle the weekend before I did my A license check dive. I have been out for about 4 1/2 months. What are your opinions about going and spending a couple hundred dollars in the tunnel to work on correct body position and flight fundamentals VS. spending the money at the dz with coaches.

personally I think its a great idea -
you will know immediately if your sliding or moving around or if your the slightest bit unstable in a very controlled setting.

your anxiety will be lower and you will be able to focus on what you want to do without the adrenaline rush of freefall.

imo it will help put you "in shape" for your step back into the sport.

but being out for that long prior to being licensed you should definitely find out from the dzo/s&ta what will they require you to do - I would expect it to include sitting through the jump course again and a jump with an instructor prior to being recertified good to go solo.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I like the tunnel and personally if I had a do-over, I'd probably go put some time in there before starting AFF. I'm still on the fence about whether it helps at all with sensory overload or anything, but I feel like if you know how to fly, that's one less thing you have to know how to worry about.

I also kind of feel like I may have learned more on my AFF jumps that I had to do over than the ones where I passed without trouble, but I suppose your mileage will vary.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Thanks guys much appreciated. I think the tunnel would help me with the confidence because like you said having that immediate feedback if I was in a bad body position its a refresher to know how to correct it. Cheers!
P.s. I will be bringing at least a case of beer when I make it back.

Good idea to go and spend time in the wind tunnel. But ever better, go to the tunnel with a SF coach and learn basic technics like : going up and down, turns using leg, lateral slide, mantis position, two on two works...etc
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I did 15 mins of tunnel before my AFF and strolled through every level. I should probably have gone back to learn sitfly but decided to work it out on my own in the sky, probably cost me twice as much to get where I am now than if I'd got myself a coach and some tunnel time.
Everyone has a PHd in hindsight!
Remember that opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

Thanks all! Advice taken I just got back from the tunnel feeling way more confident about the first jump back. I did check about currentcy and over 30 but under 180 days it's refresher and jump with AFF I. After 180 retake fjc and start out at lvl 4. I did smack my ankle after side slide for a bit of a scare. Thanks again!

Tunnel time is great!

However, it is important to remember that it is about the least dangerous part of a skydive. Remember that deployment and canopy flight are WAY more important to your survival and injury avoidance than cool freefall performance. Also, pay close attention to your exit and deployment sequence, I often see students come from the tunnel and blow those two parts on a real jump.

Have fun!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

JohnMitchell

***Tunnel time, definitely.

You have no idea how fortunate this next generation of skydivers is to have such a training tool.

Super agree. I love it when my AFF students get some tunnel time prior to level 1.

I didn't tell my AFFI's I spent over an hour in the tunnel before my first jump. They didn't call me out until 4... but said it really does make a difference. I also liked knowing what I would feel BEFORE I felt it. Really made me more comfortable once we were out.

Tunnel tunnel tunnel. Always money well spent.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

I didn't tell my AFFI's I spent over an hour in the tunnel before my first jump. They didn't call me out until 4... but said it really does make a difference. I also liked knowing what I would feel BEFORE I felt it. Really made me more comfortable once we were out.

Our son was a tunnel instructor prior to AFF. He did it in 5 jumps, could have done it in 3-4 with a little preplanning. He finished up his A license coaching me on some sit fly jumps. Too cool. :)

JohnMitchell

Our son was a tunnel instructor prior to AFF. He did it in 5 jumps, could have done it in 3-4 with a little preplanning. He finished up his A license coaching me on some sit fly jumps. Too cool. :)
Yeah, I was told after Jump 4 I "could" have been cleared for supervision only but both my AFFI and I agreed that its best to still finish through. Its a shame the tunnel cant take care of the fear of that "drop" in the door. That's a stick point. I'm technically adequate enough to probably be safe... mentally I am not there. Which reminds me of the post I wanted to make...
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

I'm technically adequate enough to probably be safe... mentally I am not there. Which reminds me of the post I wanted to make...

Flying the body is just part of the equation, of course. The other part is to be mentally prepared to handle all eventualities, including malfunctions, off DZ landings, etc. That's where real safety lies. :)