adventurechick

Canopy Course

So in the past 6 weeks I've run into a tree and the runway...(they jumped out in front of me!!:P) but I've had good jumps in between.... but I believe it's time to take a canopy course. I do suck driving a car, so maybe that's why I'm crash landing under canopy also.... anyways, what does one learn in a canopy course? Are canopy courses usually for more experienced jumpers? Finally, I'm taking it with Scott Miller in Deland... does anyone have any feedback on his course??

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

I've taken Scott's basic and advance course twice each. I've also done 1 on 1 in air coaching with him.

Honestly, you can not find a better canopy coach for the money. Period. Sure you can learn from a book, but you can only learn so much from a book. Performing skills and active debriefs are really the only way to really improve your skills. You'll find though, that there's so much information and so much that you'll learn in a short amount of time that you should really take his course twice, a few months apart to really learn whats going on.

For those reading this going "I don't need to take his basic course, I have 2000 jumps (or whatever)." If nothing else, its great to take Scott's course to learn how he teaches it. He's able to take complex tasks in flying your canopy and teach it to anyone. Learning a bit of how to teach canopy control to students from Scott would help even the most experienced instructors. It's just another tool in your tool bag for teaching.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You will learn a great deal from Scott. I have taken the essentials course twice and the advanced once. I also have done some coach jumps with him. All I can say is the man is awesome. Scott will break everything you need to know down and explain it in the simplest of terms. You will benefit greatly from the course.

Sounds a lot like the start of my jumping career!! I was also a 'slow learner' when it came to driving!! :D

Canopy control courses are a relatively new thing and I wish there had been more available in the UK 5 years ago... would have saved me lots of holes in my first jumpsuit!!

A good course is definately the way to go, I did Brian Germaines course last year when I had 700 jumps and I learnt so much. It was great, all the jumpers on the course were lower timers with less than 100 jumps so it focused on basic canopy skills but there was still information that was new to me :$. It was also a huge help to me as a new AFFI as it gave me some really good ideas for explaining canopy control to students.

Another thing that really helped me when I was a low timer was when someone explained the 'accuracy trick' to me! Knowing where you will land (and how to change where you will land) helps avoid those obstacles that are waiting to jump out at you :P

Don't be afraid be ask for radio from an experienced jumper or instuctor, it can really help to spend a day or two doing hop and pops and canopy drills under supervision. Learning flat / braked turns now will be useful the next time a tree suddenly appears in your path!

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

Took Scott's course last year. Wonderful teacher, great class. Learned a lot about myself and my canopy skills. I believe it was a necessary step in my skills, as did a lot of the more "advanced" pilots there. It would surprise me if someone ever said it did not help them in some way or that they did not benefit from it. Well worth the money and time. Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

There have been quite a few threads about Scott's course, all positive. He's a great guy and a wonderful teacher. You'll learn a lot.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There have been quite a few threads about Scott's course, all positive. He's a great guy and a wonderful teacher. You'll learn a lot.

Absolutely. Great guy. Great course. Great learning.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer