mattyblast

Bad weather -> weekend AFF vacation

For five weekends in a row--and it looks it's going to be six with the high-speed winds predicted for this weekend--I've been grounded because of the weather. The frustration has risen to the point where I am considering taking a weekend getaway to Eloy to do a few of my AFF jumps to catch up. Eloy already says they're willing to do this, as long as I review safety/emergency issues with them (necessary at my home DZ anyway when going more than 30 days w/o a jump) and do a check jump before actually doing any AFF jumps. Naturally I'd be bringing my log book, too.

My only concern is that of ethics. My home DZ got me started and has taught me everything I know. The people there love to teach, and they go out of their way to spend time with students, teaching them even when they don't have to. What's the unwritten rule in skydiving about doing a few AFF jumps at a different DZ? These weather problems are just eating me alive--I want to jump, dangit, but I also don't want to create bad energy with the people here, who have got me started.

Help! [:/]
"DOOR!!!"

You're in Wisconsin, where snow reigns. I have a feeling that the folks at your DZ would envy your ability to go do some jumps at another dropzone. And, well, you're going to continue your training there.

Talk to them. Better yet, point the DZO or chief instructor at your post, because it shows a whole lot more unselfish feelings than a lot of jumpers.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i'm sure it will be cool. i actually went a little crazy and "cheated" and did a jump away from home last week, and like you say, felt a little bad about it. :S but we're all in this to jump... and there's not a problem here or something bad, you are just looking to get a piece of the sky... (and i know this is true about my home dz) they are in this that you be a good, safe skydiver, and if this is part of you getting there, then i think they will be all for it.

like you, i am SO loyal to my dropzone because they are SO good to students. these are the guys i want to skydive like, the ones i trust and want to emulate. that's not changing, though. they are as weather-frustrated as you are. go to eloy if you want to. and then come home and be that much more into it, and they'll be in it with you, i imagine.

wow, i thought we were having crappy jumping weather here in texas... i can't imagine what wisconsin is like right now... :|
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

If I was you instructor, I'd be delighted that you went somewhere else to keep current when the local weather stopped you from doing it there. There is nothing as an eager student! (Too many drop out or loose interest or simply don't have courage to go somewhere else e.g. during summer holidays, when activity at many small DZs is low.) You will always be able to give back to them later by spending the sunnier and calmer days there.

wow, i thought we were having crappy jumping weather here in texas... i can't imagine what wisconsin is like right now... :|

It's actually not too bad, until I arrive at the DZ, that is. Last Sunday it was sunny and very few clouds. I called ahead to check what the wind speed was, and manifest told me it was about 10mph. Forty-five minutes later, when I got there, it had risen to 16mph and never came back down. The previous weekend, the clouds were at about 7000ft. when I called in--high enough for my hop&pop. But then when I got there, boom, the clouds decided to sink to 4000ft. The weekend before that, too cold. The weekend before that, wind speed too high. Before that, overcast skies. :(
"DOOR!!!"

hey, i feel ya. after 7 months out for a shoulder injury, i went and sat all last weekend to get recurrent. and my (awesome) dropzone is 2+ hrs away! i got all ready, we planned the dive, winds looked good, i held my emotions together - and when we got to altitude the wind had jumped way too high. >:( talk about depressing.

it's why when this week there was one blue sky day, i hopped it over to the really nearby (7-day) dropzone, which i don't like as well... the calm wind blue sky days have been VERY few lately. i am scheduled for friday at 2... we'll see... :S good luck. i originally did FJC in january, and wished they had explained to us that january and february in texas are often too windy...
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

Go, have fun, come back even more jazzed about skydiving than you already are.

Any DZ that would have a problem with you going to another DZ for training (or after you're already licensed) isn't one worth jumping at, IMHO. And you're going to Eloy... I'm pretty sure that your instructors won't have a problem with the quality of the dropzone or its instructional program. :D

Like Wendy said, have a chat with your instructors before you go. You'll want to talk to them to get a copy of your paperwork anyway. Some of them may have jumped at Eloy and can give you a heads up on some of the differences you'll see at a DZ the size of Eloy as opposed to your home DZ.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's actually not too bad, until I arrive at the DZ, that is. Last Sunday it was sunny and very few clouds. I called ahead to check what the wind speed was, and manifest told me it was about 10mph. Forty-five minutes later, when I got there, it had risen to 16mph and never came back down. The previous weekend, the clouds were at about 7000ft. when I called in--high enough for my hop&pop. But then when I got there, boom, the clouds decided to sink to 4000ft. The weekend before that, too cold. The weekend before that, wind speed too high. Before that, overcast skies. :(

So you aren’t showing up at the DZ before they open? You’re calling in and checking to see if it’s okay? Dude, in a bad weather state like yours or even a relatively good weather one like mine you've got to show up early and stay late to get your jumps in. It sounds like you had some jumpable parts of the days you just weren't there!

I have a student that pays his dues, he's there every weekend and he waits patiently. We got a jump in for him on the first load two Sundays ago. Two loads got up all day, and he was on one of them. He was happy and I was happy for him. It’s the students that show up about noon that usually end up not getting any jumps in.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

talk and be honest with your instructors, get your paperwork in order and go make some jumps.
I teach in Connecticut and students that don't finish AFF before old man winter rolls around are more than welcome (in my eyes) to travel south to stay current or finish their training.
don't feel guilty to leave the nest. your home DZ will always embrace you.
come back with your A Lic. 60 day currency and a case of beeer!
no problems
oh yeah.......get some tunnel time with a coach you won't regret it
Stay Safe,
Jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

Damn I can understand you, I'll go to AFF next week (10 days in the south) and the weather forecast looks realy bad.

I'm realy scared, because these days will cost me a lot of money, and it would be horrible if I could jump only for a few days.

How hard would it be to do a AFF in the rain? :-)

How hard would it be to do a AFF in the rain? :-)

very difficult just to get off the ground. You'd need about 10,000ft of ground clearance by the clouds to do a legal AFF jump. If you have the kind of storms where the rain clouds don't cover the entire sky, you jump with the gaps. But it's more common to see total coverage that would preclude anything but lower than 3k hop n pops.

I've never jumped in actual rain. Closest was wind tunnel time when it was heavily fogged outside. It's a bit uncomfortable, like skiing in sleeting snow.

What would happen if it rains on the ground. Would it be possible to fly the canopy in rain...

Sure, it's possible, but it's not a lot of fun, can make for messy/slippery landings, and a lot of DZs probably won't want to bother with having to air out their student gear after you get down. Chances are that when it's raining on the ground, you don't have the cloud clearance to get a jump off, anyway.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke