madmott

know who is jumping with you

Furthermore, figuring out someone's talent, mental state, and how current they are is not substute for jump numbers

Sorry, but wrong again. We do 3 three ways with video for peoples first jump all the time. It takes all day to train, and set it up, but we do it.

You can jump with any experience level provided that the jump is structured appropriately, and all involved are on the same page.

Some fun jumpers seem to have the idea that getting on a four way and meeting at the mock-up at the ten minute call is all it takes. If you've jumped with the other three before, maybe, otherwise, you need more time to really review the plan, the exit, the points, the break off, plan B, plan C, etc.

Ever notice that serious four way teams will spend a half hour on the creepers before getting started for a training day? Proper planning is key for success.

Sorry, but wrong again.

Dammit, I said it wrong: Jump numbers is no substitute for talent, mental state and currency.

I agree with your points but we're talking about those, "Hey, can bobby get on our jump" kind of moments. Then all you have is someone else's statement of "Yeah, he's alright" and then you see him cork right out the door or go screaming by at some point in the jump. You can set up a camp for anyone but the reality is that most people pack and load as quickly as possible and if someone invites someone to lurk as outside video most people aren't going to give him an inquisition if they know he has 190 jumps.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Im kindof curious as to why this happens. Do people actually miss judge how fast they are approaching a group by that much, Or do they just not look at the group all together.

It seems to me that you would have to be not looking at all for this to happen. In my very, very limited experience I have found myself diving almost head down after a group several times and never found it difficult to stop but I always keep my eye on them.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

"Hey, can bobby get on our jump" kind of moments. Then all you have is someone else's statement of "Yeah, he's alright" and then you see him cork right out the door or go screaming by at some point in the jump. You can set up a camp for anyone but the reality is that most people pack and load as quickly as possible and if someone invites someone to lurk as outside video most people aren't going to give him an inquisition if they know he has 190 jumps.

Thats stupid. Even if most people do it, it's still stupid.

Take the time to give a shit about your skydive. A guy you know nothing about wants to jump with, you need time to talk it out. Go over the details. See what he knows and doesn't know. Different dropzones have different prpcedures for all kinds of things. Bobby might be on his first trip away from his home DZ, and is working with a different set of procedures than the locals.

Next time it happens, tell Bobby there's not enough time to get him on this jump. Meet him afterwards, and work him into the next one.

If another jumper tells you Bobby is OK, then let Bobby jump with him.

Target fixation can happen to anyone... divers can become transfixed on the formation and not realize the closing speed they are generating. I was almost taken out in a pylon race since someone was staring only at the person with the streamer and not the other skydivers doing laps around the track. You can see them whip by in the corner of the video briefly at very high speed.

It happens quite frequently in everything from riding motorcycles to canopy piloting.

edit for spelling... :$
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Target fixation can happen to anyone... divers can become transfixed on the formation and not realize the closing speed they are generating. I was almost taken out in a pylon race since someone was staring only at the person with the streamer and not the other skydivers doing laps around the track. You can see them whip by in the corner of the video briefly at very high speed.

I guess I see what you are saying, but you were staring at the pylon and almost hit someone else. That dosent seem the same as hitting the pylon you were staring at or the formation you were staring at.

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

_I_ didn't almost hit anything... it was another person that was clearly not looking where they were going. I was just a "bystander" that got it on video.

Target fixation is very real and the resulting impact with something you are staring at is a common cause for motorcycle accidents so much so that it is covered in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Riders Skills Course curriculum for new and experienced riders.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Cool, I did not know about target fixation. So I guess it could happen. I wonder how much it does happen like that and how much is the person just not looking.

We did a 9 way speed star the other day. Eight of us were locals, the ninth was a visiting skydiver with over 1000 jumps. Had a nice 8 way round built when the visiting jumper took out one side. No one was hurt but it was kind of a bummer since it was one of the locals 1000th jump (but we all know that triple zero skydives never go as planned, somebody had to take it out and had he not I wouldn't have gotten the jumper-of-honor's first kiss pass).

Point is, it doesn't matter how many jumps someone has. The guy who took it out had gone last on lots of 20 ways without a problem. He was far from the least experienced jumper on the load.

Shit happens. If you can't accept that, imho, you shouldn't participate in this sport.

edit to add - in case anyone thinks this post is directed at them, it's not. Just an observation...

Going head down to a formation is not in and of itself bad. Regardless of how you get down you never drop right into a formation, rather get on level and THEN move into your slot. You should never approch without knowing where everyone is, and NEVER move someplace you're not looking. Many new freeflyers dive at formations thinking, "I can go head down, look at my skillz!" Which is funny as hell when they go screaming past the formation (having been that guy, I can ridicule them...us I mean). Diving means you have to slow down sooner and as in all things, don't overestimate your abilities.
PEACE!
Jason
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Going head down to a formation is not in and of itself bad. Regardless of how you get down you never drop right into a formation, rather get on level and THEN move into your slot. You should never approch without knowing where everyone is, and NEVER move someplace you're not looking. Many new freeflyers dive at formations thinking, "I can go head down, look at my skillz!" Which is funny as hell when they go screaming past the formation (having been that guy, I can ridicule them...us I mean). Diving means you have to slow down sooner and as in all things, don't overestimate your abilities.

A friend of mine shattered his thigh while flying in a formation. He was hit by a diver who had told people she "liked closing her eyes in a head down dive". She broke her neck and went in (pre-Cypres days). He had the presence of mind to get something open (no Cypres either) and somehow landed on the other foot I guess, in sheer agony.

Only bright spot was that he fell in love with and married his physical therapist at the hospital, they're still together and have teenage sons. He still jumps too.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I hate to say it, but you can only do so much. You can refuse to jump with anyone who isn't a god and your still gona get it, sooner or later. I have seen some of the best skydivers in the world come crashing down on a skydive. Granted I have never seen an impact like yours. I've seen Mike and Norman have mishaps, it happens.

As a load Organizer you don't get to review everyones log books, you have to rely on honesty. I wish you could believe everything people say.

So while your laid up (bummer), Work on learning to use the force ( the good side). It's the only way to stop anything from ever happening

Get better soon, Sorry you got hurt. That sucks

I don't have a spleen, my left leg is Ti., my left wrist is plated with CF., and I have four plates in my head. so why can't you jump any more?
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.