upsideout

I'm Scared

Ok you have the built up excitement to jump during the week that turns into extreme nervousness when the weekend comes.

I would guess that this is nothing new to you and yet you went to the DZ and jumped before. My question is when you make jumped and you just exited the plane what happens to your extreme nervousness?
Memento Mori

I did my pre-second jump (static line) in September 2003, and was really scared afterwards. I don't remember anything from the jump, except landing outsida a really HUGE landing area. According to my instructor I was in foster position - and that's probably right.

5 months later I did a repetition course&test so I could jump again later that spring. It took me 2.5 months to have enough courage to do my second jump after that.

I was still scared, but managed better and remember the jump: I was too long at the strut (C-182), and under canopy I did absoluteley NOTHING, except something I *thought* was steering the canopy. As I ended up in a tree, 10 metres above ground, 3-4 km from the dz. I phone my instructor and hung there for 1.5 hours before they located me, then for another 30 minutes before they got a ladder up and cut me down.

For my third jump absoluteley all my fear had disappeared - I really had a feeling of mastering, and knew I could do this. (Not that I really could, though - after another 6-7 static line jumps I gave up and switched to AFF, which was a great success.)

My advise is to get out to the DZ and have a look. Don't think that you have to jump, just look. If someone asks you why you're there, tell them - perhaps they can calm you don or have some good advise for you? I suppose most of us have some of these stories, and the best thing to do is to face the fear - not necessaily by jumping in fear, but by realizing the fear is there and try to cope with it.

The sky is definitely wonderful seen from the middle of it :-)

I am new also. Just completed AFF.
I travel a few hours to the DZ and at the 1/2 way mark I begin thinking that I should just turn around! I can get pretty worked up. I just remember how it feels to leave the plane and try to visualize a great skydive. There just is nothing else like it!! I don't think I could quit at this point.

Fear is healthy and can help your mind to focus.

If it's abject terror then perhaps skydiving really isn't the sport for you, although in my limited experience if you were suffering from abject terror you would not have achived your A (after all the instructors have faith in your skills which you've demonstrated on your jumps so far).

I'm a newbie, I know, and I've learned the hard way a couple of times (broken ankle on my level 2!) etc etc, but there really is nothing like skydiving - not even flying comes close.

Perhaps you could do some progression, so your mind is focussed on learning the next thing, rather than worrying about everything (thats not a dig by the way).

Enjoy it, live it, whatever you do with it.

Blues

Out of 10,000 feet of fall, always remember that the last half inch hurts the most — Captain Charles W. Purcell, 1932

Hello,

I started my AFF course in march 2005 and finished it after 13 jumps in june 2005. The main problem I had was that there were a lot of times between my jumps, so I lost a few jumps to get back relaxed with it.
The reason for this was that
  • my local DZ only jumps in weekends.

• the weather was often lousy (so I could only jump once in 2 or 3 weeks)

• my mindset wasn't really proffesional. For instance, When I did some jumps on saterday and passed one level , I was in a real fiesta-mood and went partying with the other jumpers, so the next day I had a huge hangover and didn't went jumping. :( My mistake, I know.

• Thanks to my great instructor, however, I managed to finish my AFF. The day I finished my AFF, I did two solos and paid my round of beer ;).
    One week later, I went on vacation and when I came back, I couldn't jump for 3 weeks because I had to work. So after almost 2 months of inactivity, I wasn't really comfortable with it and didn't go to the DZ anymore. In stead, I focused on my work and saved a lot of money and overtime.
    I've regreted that ever since so I decided to start jumping again after the winter.

Since I believe the best way to overcome those beginning fears is to jump a lot in a short amount of time and since I've saved a lot of money and overtime, I've booked a 17 day vacation to Spain (Empuria) and subscribed my to a refresh course. I leave 31 march 2006 and I will stay till 17 april 2006 (including the easter boogie ;)) and my only goal is to jump as much as possible. I'm really counting the days and I'm practicing my arch dailly.
    When I did my AFF, I had a great instructor and I had a very nice time at the DZ but I don't think it's very educational (and relaxing) when you can only jump in the weekends (especially when the weather tends to suck). I will, however, certainly join my local DZ as soon as I'm back because I really like the vibe and the people there.

What do you all think about learning to fly only in the weekend? Isn't it easier to learn new stuff and control your stress when you can do it dailly?

Greetz,
    Stikke

PS: I'll travel to Empuria alone (since my close friends don't jump) so it would be nice to meet people who will also be there that time...

Yes, of course daily learning is a sharper curve than week-ends only. But not to worry. There's plenty of time ahead of you as long as you progress within your limits and don't try to over-fly the learning process.

Congrats on your trip....say, do you need a personal valet, maybe a chauffer on your trip?:D:D

BTW, week-end only jumping is quite common as you probably already know. Lots of Weekend Warriors at the DZ!
    My reality and yours are quite different.
    I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
    Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

A friend of mine read my earlyer post and let me know he thought it was a little to sraight forward maybe even a bit mean. He gave me an idea for you, that I thought might work. Find another person, be it a jumper or just a friend. Having them with on the drive and pre jump might just relax you, at least a little distraction. I hope this idea helps.
    HPDBs, I hate those guys.
    AFB, charter member.

Thanks, but it wasn't mine that one belongs to a guy by the name of Zahid Nazir. I give credit to those who deserve it. I am far to callouse and unfeeling. Darwin is the rightful ruler of our world. I wish we could reinstate his ideas.
    HPDBs, I hate those guys.
    AFB, charter member.

I know exactly how you feel, all I can think about is getting to the DZ. The morning comes and I wake up with butterflies in my stomach and then get up take a shower and begin my two hour ride. Once I get in my car I'm fine untill about 15 minutes out, then the butterflies come back. Once I walk in the door I remember. I remember that this is the most fullfilling experience in the world.
    I am a broke college student so needless to say I don't get to jump as often as I would like. This does promote the butterflies. During the summer when I can jump often I never have this feeling of anxiety. To me one of the best things about skydiving is the experience with such feelings. To overcome your fears is an awesome experience by itself, if your fear is going to the DZ then you should go just to overcome that fear, then if you feel comfortable you may find yourself itching to get up to altitude. I hope this is of some help, one thing is for sure you are not alone in this, everyone has experienced similar feelings.

Hi

I know exactly how you feel, iv had a nine year layoff and am aboout to get a couple of AFF levels in to get me current.

I think about the actual thought of jumping out of a plane and crap myselfB|

Then i think of diving towards another skydiver with fluffy clouds all around :D

Accept the fear anyone who isnt scared is either bonkers or lying

***Hi all. New here so go easy . I completed my AFF last year but since then every time the weekend comes around I'm finding it ever harder to actually go to the dz. During the week I cant think about anything else but as it gets closer the excitement turns to extreme nervousness and I finally end up not going

1.Try watching your AFF Video and listen to some real cool tunes.
    2.Just take the time to think that most people would give their right arm to do once what you have done a dozen times but never will because they haven't got what it takes unlike yourself because you've got a pair.;)
    3.Pal up with someone who is at your experience level at the DZ.
    Me and my jump buddy began sky diving last summer ( both AFF )and met up at our 'local' DZ in Spain.
    We now go on skydiving holidays together and are very much a team.
    The next time we both jump will be after a 5 month lay off, so when we climb aboard the porter on a hot day in June we'll both have that little knot in our stomachs and will look at the Alti at 2 Grand and think oh we've got ages yet [:/].Before we know it the buzzer will go off and as soon as that door opens and that cool air hits us we'll both be ready.
    No more butterflies,lets get it on.

You are part of a rare bunch of people,don't give up on it,get on a load and everything will be beautiful :)
    Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
    Good advice from an instructor I know.

Blue skies are just around the corner girl...

Don't over think it, just do it! B|

P.S. Check out the thread on "Door Fear"
    http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2170896;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Damn, I wish I knew how to cut those freaking URL's in half!!! >:(

Change your link to:
    http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2170896

Everything after and including the first ';' isn't really necessary. Also add (url) before the link and (/url) after the link to make it clicky, but replace ( and ) with [ and ]. Or use the url button or check the "Get Markup Help" link right above you when you post for more information.

I came back the sport after more than 20 years off (raising a family, etc.) and even though I really wanted to jump, I went through the whole newbie fear cycle all over again, dry mouthed on the plane, the whole bit.

Did my first jump today, and boy did I have the dry mouth thing going on! What is up iwth that anyway?

For me, I had too much other stuff running through my head to think about being afraid. I kept running through arch, count, check canopy, etc. and I think that helped level me out a bit.

At the same time, the dry mouth let me know what was going on underneath it all.

Zipp0

--------------------------
    Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.