mistersam

Static line people: I need your advice

I've gotta say I'm shocked that you were put onto FF after just 1 S/L, 1 good dummy pull and 1 failed dummy pull. In the UK you HAVE to do 2 good S/L jumps. then 3 consecutive good dummy pulls before you go on to FF.

If you enjoy skydiving and really want to do it don't give up. Like others have said there are loads of options for you; try another instructor, try another DZ, take the S/L course again, try AFF.

If you really want to skydive you will get there; that’s what people have told me recently as I'm getting really frustrated as I still can't get a good exit. I know I'll get there in the end; in the meantime I'm just enjoying jumping and learning as much as I can about the sport.

University of Portsmouth Skydive Club

Do you know how many people take the static line course and pass? A lot! We have had at least 10 students take the course in the past month and only 1 failed, the guy who posted this thread. People who take the courses here are mostly stoked due to the fact that they can actually afford to learn how to skydive, I know I was. How can you say that people shouldn't come here to learn when the DZO make skydiving affordable to the regular joe? Why should't people take advanage of that? Now if you have the $ to spend for someone to say "You did great, it doesn't matter if you went out the door kicking and screaming, it doesn't matter if you went in to an unconrolable spin and the instructor had to dump you out because you never looked at your altimiter. Don't worrie, we'll make sure you live through out your skydiving career." Then go for it. But if you want to learn how to skydive and you don't have $1600.00 to spend, then come out to lodi. But be seriouse about it and don't make excuses and you'll do great, just like me.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

That's a good idea. In our program, you need 2 static lines and 3 _good_ practice pulls before freefalling (it took me 10 tries.) Often, panic is caused by not knowing what to do; if you practice 100 times (no exaggeration) on the ground, until it's habit, then you will be less likely to panic.

I did something like 10 tries to get off the dope rope as well. I ended up using a swimming pool to practice pulls, because I could sort of simulate the body position and pushing off the edge of the pool while I was laying in it was a good way simulate letting go of the strut.

Took me about 100 practices or more to nail it. I would never remember what I did wrong on my dummy pulls in the air. So the only way for me to get through it was to practice enough til pulling the handle correctly was a reflex.

sclosoma,

Don't be shy.
Don't repress your opinions.
Tell how you really feel.

Some schools are better at "holding students' hands" while others are better at keeping prices low. Just as there are a variety of schools, there are also a variety of students.
Meanwhile, some students want to roar through the program, while others need more attention.
Finally, there are a variety of different instructor personalities. I get along well with some students - and they progress quickly - while I never "get in touch" with other students.
The secret to quality instruction is matching student personality with DZ style with instructor's personality. It is a subtle art. Some times we get it right and other times ....
This is an "other time" and the student would be wise to seek another program.

I totaly agree with you riggerrob. But to get on here and bag on our program is childish. There have been and will be plenty of other students that like the programs offored at lodi. But most people don't get on here to say how great the dz is and how wonderful thier instructor was. I'll defrend it to the end because it worked for me and I love lodi!
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause