chanti

Canopy not flying straight

I recently noticed that my canopy does not fly straight when in full flight (without any toggle input). It turns very slightly to the left. At first I thought it was wind or that my legstraps were not equally tightened but neither is the case.

A while ago my boyfriend (who also skydives) lengthened my brake lines by 5 cm (just undid the finger-trapping) - could this be the cause?

I can fly the canopy without problems - i pull the right toggle a little further than the left to keep it on heading, and landing is fine although again i have to flare with the right toggle slightly lower than the left.

Anybody know what could cause this and how to remedy?

The question I must first ask: is did this problem start after he released/ or let in the left break line??

If yes then this could be the problem as you dont realize how much a slight change in the rear input has until you have this problem you are facing.

Suggest that you attempt to measure the lines when you are packing as they should be basically side by side. Have a rigger assist you if you need help.

The best methiod of course is to jump the rig and see how much of the left line you need to pull down to get it to fly true. of course I would suggest pulling a little higher to give you time to check for this and for everyone elses safety, etc....

Then if you can remember or mark the spot and on the ground fit the length etc...
then repeat if needed.

Hope this assist you
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Suggest that you attempt to measure the lines when you are packing as they should be basically side by side. Have a rigger assist you if you need help.

This is the best way to figure out if your toggles are set evenly on the lines.

If that doesn't fix it then have the line trim measured. By your rigger.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Canopies are still just fabric and sticking. Every manufacturer makes canopies that turn. Its part of the game. Most are also very good at taking care of it. From my experience it is more noticable at lighter loadings.

But it could also be one or more of the following: Harness,friction adapters, line trim, risers ect.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

If you would like a main inspection done by a qaulified parachute rigger PM me, or send it back to the manufacturer for a main inspection. The manual for your canopy and/or container will have instructions for the assembly of the canopy to risers, most manuals can be found online if you don't have the manuals. Any way, if I were you i'd have the local most knowlegable/ current parachute rigger check your gear.Parachute Rigger is what your looking for, not packer, not gear sales, not manifestor, not boyfriend, Parachute Rigger. Assembly of parachute to risers is easy, it is also easy to assemble brake lines to toggles in a manner that can be downright deadly.