Kuper

landing in cold air. what should I expect?

hi,
i'm going to jump in a place which is 114meter above sea level, and on some cold days(Kolomna, Russia).
now let's put the AMSL thing aside for a moment and just look about the cold weather fact; i thought that the colder the air is, the less dense it is, and therefore landing will take longer and with a higher velocity then in a summer day.
i've ask some people and got various answers :o

what do YOU know about that situation?
and if i was right - what would you suggest? start flaring earlier or just wait till the end and puuuuull all way down at once?

Thanks.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

cold air is more dense than warm air. your canopy might flare slightly more for the same input but, it won't be anything unmanageable.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I went to Kolomna last year, and you shouldn't have any problems.
It's not that cold this time if year 10-15 deg C at the moment and getting warmer.
Also cold air is more dense than warm air not less and you probably won't notice much difference sea level and 114m (300-400ft approx i think).

Jas

cold air is more dense. Basic gas laws. But not sure how humidity factors in.

Hot, Humid, High are all bad for flying (or good, depends how you look at it ;). Basically all of these conditions will make your canopy fly faster and flare less effectively (and the jump-plane will need a lot more runway!!)

thanx everybody for your answers!
after crashing into the ground 6 month ago because of bad and unknown air+wind+alti, it made me feel much more calm about that issue...
(and god knows why i couldn't think about it by myself:S). anyway thanx again and blues!

If you want to be a skydiver its up to you to find out all these "unknowns" before you get in the aeroplane, otherwise you have no business going up....

If you don't know something, find out.....

A difference of 114 metres in landing altitude is insignificant.....warm or hot temperatures are far more of an issue than cold temperatures.....

Unless your nuts fall off.........
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

find out all these "unknowns" before you get in the aeroplane, otherwise you have no business going up....

True... but unfortunately i learned it in the hard way (you'r never aware enough until something happens while you'r not aware:()

If you want to be a skydiver its up to you to find out all these "unknowns" before you get in the aeroplane, otherwise you have no business going up....

If you don't know something, find out.....

Rather gruff, Tim...That's what he is doing...asking before trying.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeah, I was aware thats what he was doing......just bluntly pointing out something he probably already learned.......as he said......but more for the benefit of others who might be reading this post....

I've found in skydiving if you are too subtle the message is often not taken seriously.....

Probably my major point is that inexperienced jumpers shouldn't just expect others to take care of them, they need to take the initiative to find out things....because ignorance is not an excuse, and the consequences are painful....and no skydiver, no matter what their age and experience is too old to learn lessons......

But you knew that......right!!!....:P

If you've ever jumped in really cold times your hands got sooo cold that they lose dexterity/ grip strength. Having a pull out pc,soft pillow reserve handle, not a good idea.Havea D ring reserve handle in really really cold environments where you know your hands will freeze because you don't want to wear too bulky gloves, good AAD as a backup. If there is snow, depth perception can be way off. As far as flying the canopy, it'll fly crisp and clean like the air. It'll feel like it has more performance, more glide/lift. As far as flaring, it's the same at sea level as it is 5,000ft as 14,000 ft, cold or hot. Flare just before you hit the earth. About 20'ft off the ground your ready to flare, by the time your feet are 2ft off the ground your right in the middle of the flare ready to finish off the landing flare. Like I said your canopy might feel like it has more performance. It'll feell good, Have a good time!

my reserve wasn't packed so i used a student rig yesterday. since i could just reach the boc pilot chute i decided not to ware gloves.
went up to 12K and it was -5+ and my hands went numb around 7K and could hardly feel the grip on the pilot chute.:o
one of the worst jumps I've had so far.
WARE GLOVES!!

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

I have jumped from as high as 30,000 feet several times. Temperature at exit is always -40 degrees or colder. The secret is keeping you hands as warm as possible while climbing to altitude.

What I would do is wear silk glove liners under my normal skydiving gloves, Nike batting gloves. While climbing I wear a pair of heavy motorcycle gauntlets over the Nike gloves and glove liners.

Just before, and I mean just before, I exit I take the motorcycle gauntlets off and stow them in the A/C. From 30K to 4K is about 2 minutes + in freefall and my hands would be cold but still have tactile feel.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Saw an idiot one cold day take a pair of welding gauntlets into the plane (he had no other gloves).....we were only going up to 4 grand for a short freefall......

This was in the days of 1 1/2 shot capewells, when you needed your fingers even more than today....

He might as well have put on a pair of boxing gloves.....

Just before exit I took them off him and gave him a slap around the helmet with them....

Some people have the brains of a chocolate fish.....