1 1
JoeWeber

Trumps Covid Relief Executive Orders

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

In Canada every employer has to send the federal government a Record of Employment after employment ends. One of the items on the RoE indicates how the employment ended. Based on that, you may or may not be eligible for Employment Insurance benefits.

Doesn't sound like the US has a similar system in place.

I have never successfully filed for unemployment, I was always employed or self employed and wouldn't have met the criteria.

To the best of my understanding, the applicant files, and the forms are sent to the employer to verify status of employee, reason for termination, and so on.  Those forms are then sent back and the approval process happens.

5 hours ago, olofscience said:

What document would this be?

edit: to add, what about recent graduates unable to find a job?

https://www.twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/eligibility-benefit-amounts

I don't know about graduates that can't find work.  I don't know that they were guaranteed a job after school.  I am sure some schools back their tuition by guarantee of employment after, but I'm not up on that very much.

Anyway - here is Texas's website.  It may answer your questions better than I can. 

31 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

https://www.twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/eligibility-benefit-amounts

I don't know about graduates that can't find work.  I don't know that they were guaranteed a job after school.  I am sure some schools back their tuition by guarantee of employment after, but I'm not up on that very much.

Anyway - here is Texas's website.  It may answer your questions better than I can. 

Thanks, that's quite informative.

21 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:
22 hours ago, Coreece said:

so those parents that choose to do that have a legal responsibility to provide some support. 

Hi Coreece,

Please show me any law in any state that requires this.

Ok, so back to this.  If you claim someone as a dependent then that means you were responsible for providing at least half of their support (food, housing, clothing, etc.)

I'm guessing your angle was that they're not legally responsible in the present sense because the claim is made after the fact.

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Ok, so back to this.  If you claim someone as a dependent then that means you were responsible for providing at least half of their support (food, housing, clothing, etc.)

I'm guessing your angle was that they're not legally responsible in the present sense because the claim is made after the fact.

I believe that he is more of the mind of "Can you be charged with neglect if you didn't provide properly?" and/or "What legal statutes are there that can be enforced?"

I may be wrong, but that's my take.

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:
4 hours ago, Coreece said:

I believe that he is more of the mind of "Can you be charged with neglect if you didn't provide properly?" and/or "What legal statutes are there that can be enforced?"

I may be wrong, but that's my take.

Well we're talking about adult dependents that aren't disabled.  I'm simply coming from the angle that if you falsely claim someone as a dependent, then it's fraud - but apparently there has to be criminal intent.  I guess this is one of the areas where ignorance is an excuse for the law.

Furthermore, if you're claiming an adult as a dependent, it will disqualify them from some social services that they would've otherwise qualified for.  But usually the question when applying for aide is "can anyone claim you as a dependent, or will anyone be claiming you as a dependent" - so I suppose a needy person will just say no and then play dumb later if any issues arise.

But who knows, all I was really saying is that parents with kids graduating from college probably can and will provide some level of support these days if needed.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Well we're talking about adult dependents that aren't disabled.  I'm simply coming from the angle that if you falsely claim someone as a dependent, then it's fraud - but apparently there has to be criminal intent.  I guess this is one of the areas where ignorance is an excuse for the law.

Furthermore, if you're claiming an adult as a dependent, it will disqualify them from some social services that they would've otherwise qualified for.  But usually the question when applying for aide is "can anyone claim you as a dependent, or will anyone be claiming you as a dependent" - so I suppose a needy person will just say no and then play dumb later if any issues arise.

But who knows, all I was really saying is that parents with kids graduating from college probably can and will provide some level of support these days if needed.

Oh, yeah, I saw both sides.

Whats a little tax theft if there isn't any penalty, right?