"Free Press" My Ass

Another far-left attempt to squash free speech is slam-dunked by the FCC. These TDS-suffers are trying to get the FCC to censor White House press briefings!

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-20-385A1.pdf

"...we conclude that the antidote to the alleged harms raised by Free Press is—ironically enough—a free press. The rapid and comprehensive coverage of the present pandemic, free from burdensome disclaimers, agency investigation, or other government oversight, advances the public interest in maximizing information flow, while facilitating the vetting of statements by public officials via the ordinary journalistic process.24In short, we will not second-guess broadcasters (much less deploy the formal investigative power of the state against them) that are serving a critical function in providing the public comprehensive coverage of the current public health crisis and the government’s response. We leave to the press its time-honored and constitutionally protected role in testing the claims made by our political leaders—as well as those made by national advocacy organizations.The Federal Communications Commission believes that freedom of the press is “essential to a free society and a functioning democracy.”25ACCORDINGLY, it is ordered that the Emergency Petition for Inquiry IS DENIED."

Suck on  that, you commie swine!

I would say to suck on the fact that they felt it was decided that Trump should still be legally able to lie to us, as he does every time he opens his mouth.

His ability to openly lie, does not make his lies truthful, just that he can make his lies publicly.

Those claims will continue to be tested, as the decision states.

So, he will continue to lie just like "commie swine".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markharju said:

Suck on  that, you commie swine!

What's even cooler is that a free press can decline to cover his briefings in real time so they can fact check before they show it.  Suck on that, Trump administration!

• Like 2

(edited)
27 minutes ago, billvon said:

What's even cooler is that a free press can decline to cover his briefings in real time so they can fact check before they show it.  Suck on that, Trump administration!

Yup. "We leave to the press its time-honored and constitutionally protected role in testing the claims made by our political leaders—as well as those made by national advocacy organizations." The FCC took no sides. Not their job. This comes after a leftist organization tries to use the government to muzzle the government. Pretty silly, but then we live in silly times, oder?

Edited by Guest

In this environment, a single radio station in a market isn't trying to muzzle anyone. They're making a statement about themselves, and laying their reputation on the line. I admire the bravery of that. I even admire the bravery sometimes of Fox news, although not their venality. 

Assuming that every outlet will carry particular news "because" is kind of like entitlement. There's no reason Trump's administration shouldn't have to earn the right to be carried on a given outlet -- there are plenty of other outlets.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

In this environment, a single radio station in a market isn't trying to muzzle anyone. They're making a statement about themselves, and laying their reputation on the line. I admire the bravery of that. I even admire the bravery sometimes of Fox news, although not their venality. ...

Wendy P.

I would suggest that media corporations have target markets for their news, information and editorial content. Could you please provide some examples and content of " Fox bravery"?

I didn’t say it was good. But some people only see the world through their own lenses. If they can accept that Fox is doing the “right thing” by selecting their news, maybe it’s not “muzzling” if another outlet does it too. 

Wendy P. 

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

In this environment, a single radio station in a market isn't trying to muzzle anyone. They're making a statement about themselves, and laying their reputation on the line. I admire the bravery of that. I even admire the bravery sometimes of Fox news, although not their venality. 

Assuming that every outlet will carry particular news "because" is kind of like entitlement. There's no reason Trump's administration shouldn't have to earn the right to be carried on a given outlet -- there are plenty of other outlets.

That's not what Mark's OP is about. In fact, he clearly already agreed with the point you're making.