DJL

If we left Rammstein Airbase

Phil1111

******...Given that all media in Russia is controlled by the Kremlin. Why do you think Russians have those attitudes? What speculations do you have about the "evil designs" that the USA has on Russia and its people?

Why would stories from western news sources be banned? Western newspapers banned?

Why is Russia the most dangerous country in the world to be an independent (opposition) journalist?

(yes, this is a rhetorical question)

I assume thats directed at Bob.

In the greater context of debate. Its not that Russia, or more accurately the Russian people are the enemy. They are like the cultists of trump. They are kept in the dark with regards to what is really going on. The Putin kleptocracy for himself and his inner circle is the prime focus.

Beyond that, Putin has stated publicly and I've posted it here before. That he wants to recreate the USSR and return Russia to its former glory and "position" of respect in the world. Even though as an economy its smaller than Canada, or California.

Presumably thats and effort to have a bigger pie for Putin and his allies to steal from.

No, it was directed mostly at you. But it was more 'adding on' to what you wrote rather than actually asking you for information.

Putin is a thug. A first class despot (as compared to, say, KJU who's a 2nd class despot in charge of a third class country. Or Trump, who's just a 'wannabe' despot). Putin kills people who get in his way (but, according to Trump, 'the US kills people too'). He ran the KGB after the fall of the Soviet Union. You don't get that position, even in post-Soviet Russia without being both smart and brutal.

As you noted, he wants to bring back the old Soviet Union. Destabilizing and weakening the US is a big part of that. He can't bring himself and Russia up to US standards, but he can try to bring the US down to Russian ones.

Huge deficits and trade wars ('wars' as in multiple ones at once) have a pretty good chance of wrecking our economy.
Trump's "Fake News" crap, combined with the real 'Fake News' that's being spread stand to destroy the confidence in the media.
When Trump gets impeached (and that's a 'when', not an 'if') it will destroy confidence in government.*

All of those would be highly beneficial to Putin and his thug cronies.

* Here's an interesting scenario:

Putin has a 'lever' over Trump. I've seen speculation that it's money (laundering, Trump owes Russia a bunch, ect) or blackmail (the "pee tape" is one that is known, but given Trump's sexually predatory behavior and previous allegations, it wouldn't surprise me that Russia has a video of Trump with a seriously underage girl). Trump seems to think he's just going to have to follow Putin's orders, which he's done so far.
But how about if Putin leaks all sorts of stuff that brings down Trump. It burns what is essentially a Russian agent in the position of POTUS, but that has only so much usefulness. Burning him would bring him down. Would the damage from that weaken the US enough to make it worth it? This is the sort of stuff the KGB excells at, historically.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've seen speculation that it's money (laundering, Trump owes Russia a bunch, ect) or blackmail (the "pee tape" is one that is known, but given Trump's sexually predatory behavior and previous allegations, it wouldn't surprise me that Russia has a video of Trump with a seriously underage girl). Trump seems to think he's just going to have to follow Putin's orders, which he's done so far.

Or some combination thereof.

Which is a very big reason we will likely never see Trump's income taxes. Too much money from questionable sources.

billvon

I've seen speculation that it's money (laundering, Trump owes Russia a bunch, ect) or blackmail (the "pee tape" is one that is known, but given Trump's sexually predatory behavior and previous allegations, it wouldn't surprise me that Russia has a video of Trump with a seriously underage girl). Trump seems to think he's just going to have to follow Putin's orders, which he's done so far.

Or some combination thereof.

Which is a very big reason we will likely never see Trump's income taxes. Too much money from questionable sources.

Its looking more likely that either a jury or Senate committee will see it.

DJL

Hypothetical. What if we did say, "to hell with the NATO mission" and left the Rammstein Airbase? I know we run a lot of different missions through there but what if we needed to throw down the guantlet and get the other countries to pay more into NATO.

Could we relocate the elements that run out of there? Airlift, Drone relay, various fighter and bomber squadrons?

There is only one "m" in Ramstein. "Rammstein" is the name of a band (named after the Frecce Tricolori mishap in 1988).

There are plenty of places in Eastern Europe that will gladly pony up. There's been an offer to fund an entire installation (Poland). The Bear (tm) is up to his dirty old Cold War tricks, and the former East Bloc countries, having escaped Soviet hegemony, would very much like to keep it that way.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

***Hypothetical. What if we did say, "to hell with the NATO mission" and left the Rammstein Airbase? I know we run a lot of different missions through there but what if we needed to throw down the guantlet and get the other countries to pay more into NATO.

Could we relocate the elements that run out of there? Airlift, Drone relay, various fighter and bomber squadrons?

There is only one "m" in Ramstein. "Rammstein" is the name of a band (named after the Frecce Tricolori mishap in 1988).

There are plenty of places in Eastern Europe that will gladly pony up. There's been an offer to fund an entire installation (Poland). The Bear (tm) is up to his dirty old Cold War tricks, and the former East Bloc countries, having escaped Soviet hegemony, would very much like to keep it that way.

mh

Yeah, knew about the other 'M' but...you know....Du HAST! So I let the error stay.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher