kallend

Amazon FAIL

Three of our packages to family were "Lost in Transit - UNDELIVERABLE" according to Amazon's tracking.

Another one was delivered, but not to the addressee (a nice photo was attached to Amazon's tracking, showing the package outside someone's front door, but whose?)

Go to the Amazon web site and neither of these conditions are covered in the pull-down menus. I mean, if Amazon KNOWS a package was lost in transit, couldn't it provide an automatic "Resend/Cancel" option?

Maybe Bezos should pay more attention to his core business.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Go to the Amazon web site and neither of these conditions are covered in the pull-down menus. I mean, if Amazon KNOWS a package was lost in transit, couldn't it provide an automatic "Resend/Cancel" option?

Pull up a web chat with them, tell them what's going on and I'd be surprised if they didn't have replacement orders on the way as fast as the system could process it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

kallend

Three of our packages to family were "Lost in Transit - UNDELIVERABLE" according to Amazon's tracking.

Another one was delivered, but not to the addressee (a nice photo was attached to Amazon's tracking, showing the package outside someone's front door, but whose?)

Gee who would imagin shipping issues at Christmas time.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

Are you suggesting that even though Amazon would imagin (sic) shipping issues, they failed badly in providing a simple mechanism for resolving them.

Or are you suggesting that Amazon failed to imagine shipping issues, which is why they provided no simple mechanism for resolving them.

Whichever, I agree.

kallend

Are you suggesting that even though Amazon would imagin (sic) shipping issues, they failed badly in providing a simple mechanism for resolving them.

Or are you suggesting that Amazon failed to imagine shipping issues, which is why they provided no simple mechanism for resolving them.

Whichever, I agree.

Every time I hear about a plane crash, train derailment or anything else along those lines I do a mental checklist to see if I have anything in transit that might be affected.

Three more correctly addressed packages ended up at the wrong place yesterday. One was the replacement for a previously lost package. Fortunately the neighbor to whose house it had been delivered was able to get it to me.

And, Bob, no plane or train crashes occurred around here yesterday.

Edited to add: The US Post Office, UPS and FedEx all manage to deliver stuff to my house (which is a regularly numbered house on a Chicago street). It's only Amazon that consistently sends it to the wrong place.

kallend

Three more correctly addressed packages ended up at the wrong place yesterday. One was the replacement for a previously lost package. Fortunately the neighbor to whose house it had been delivered was able to get it to me.

Edited to add: The US Post Office, UPS and FedEx all manage to deliver stuff to my house (which is a regularly numbered house on a Chicago street). It's only Amazon that consistently sends it to the wrong place.

Are you saying Amazon does its own shipping in your area? I have not seen that where I live.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Are you saying Amazon does its own shipping in your area? I have not seen that where I live.

They do in my area.

Amazon also uses OnTrack as a delivery service in the west. OnTrack likes to report packages delivered, when they have not been. Then they typically deliver them the next day. The first time it happened, I was checking with neighbors, looking behind bushes, etc. Now, after about 4 times, I figure that they are reporting it delivered so that Amazon will pay them full rate, and that it will show up the next day. Not as bad as the delivery service that left $14k worth of prescription drugs on the curb without even ringing the door bell, rather than obtaining the required signature and handing it over in person.

headoverheels

They do in my area.

Amazon also uses OnTrack as a delivery service in the west. OnTrack likes to report packages delivered, when they have not been. Then they typically deliver them the next day. The first time it happened, I was checking with neighbors, looking behind bushes, etc. Now, after about 4 times, I figure that they are reporting it delivered so that Amazon will pay them full rate, and that it will show up the next day. Not as bad as the delivery service that left $14k worth of prescription drugs on the curb without even ringing the door bell, rather than obtaining the required signature and handing it over in person.

Well that fucking sucks. I guess I can't complain, since I live in a small town (2000+ pop), and I can't see any houses from mine. Speed limit on my road is 40mph and there are no sidewalks. Either USPS, UPS or FedEx does the deliveries.

So my only suggestion for those of you living in areas where Amazon delivers, is get a mail box at the post office and have deliveries sent there. It's a hassle initially, but it should give you enough peace of mind to know your stuff won't get stolen by porch thieves.

Even the USPS isn't perfect. I got a utility bill that wasn't mine, it belonged to the next house on the route, up a side street past me. And once I got a package (I don't even know how the fuck they delivered it to me) that had an address 35 miles away! :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

They do in my area.

Amazon also uses OnTrack as a delivery service in the west.

Wait, I'm confused. Amazon uses USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and OnTrac as delivery services. Amazon does not do it's own shipping. Is this correct?

"The first California Overnight customers were architects and lawyers, and we quickly grew to help other industries reduce their shipping spend without sacrificing next-day delivery.

We expanded to all of California, and then added Nevada in 1996, Arizona in 1997, and Oregon and Washington in 2005. We knew that we had outgrown the California Overnight name, and began preparations for a name change.

California Overnight, OnTrac & 65 Million Consumers
OnTrac logoIn 2008, California Overnight changed its name to OnTrac. It was the name of our shipping software, which had already been in use for over a decade. OnTrac marked the first year of its new name by opening service to Utah. We then added Colorado in 2011, and Idaho in 2013.

The 8-state service area gave customers an opportunity to quickly reach over 65 million consumers without paying the extra fees charged by national carriers."

Derek V

Hooknswoop

They do in my area.

Wait, I'm confused. Amazon uses USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and OnTrac as delivery services. Amazon does not do it's own shipping. Is this correct?

Here in San Jose, Amazon also has their own delivery. The week before Christmas, I even got a delivery from someone driving a gray Ford Taurus -- I think they hire this type of "extra" from the peak season. The online tracking was cute -- it showed a "sleigh" icon on a moving map, and was real time enough that I walked outside as it showed the sleigh turning onto my street, and she arrived a few seconds later.

BillyVance

Yes,

But today, after a bunch of comments to their customer service and sending them a photo of my house with a snarky comment suggesting they send it (the photo) to their own delivery service, the replacements for several items came by UPS instead. UPS can find my house.

headoverheels

They do in my area.

Our local service leaves tracking info "Shipped with AMZL US", along with a photo of the package left "outside the front door".

Funny thing is, it wasn't my front door. Or side door, or back door, or either deck door, or basement door, or...... (yes, I have a lot of doors).

I'm wondering if the dumb Amazon driver has been just plugging the address into a GPS, then dropping the packages at whatever house he is in front of when the GPS announces he has arrived at the destination...and not bothering to read the number on the front of the house.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

headoverheels

I had never heard of Ontrac until a couple years ago when I ordered motorcycle tires from an online vendor in UT. I was working in the garage with the door open when a plain white van pulled up, and the driver walked up to the garage carrying the tires. I asked him who he was and the reply was "Ontrac".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I'm wondering if the dumb Amazon driver has been just plugging the address into a GPS, then dropping the packages at whatever house he is in front of when the GPS announces he has arrived at the destination...and not bothering to read the number on the front of the house.:S

Yeah, even GPS shows my house a good 200-300 yards down the street from where it actually is, but at least there aren't any other houses near that point. It's why when I'm expecting someone to come and know when they're showing up and they haven't been to my house before, they blow right by my driveway, then a couple minutes later, pull in after turning around at the next side street. :D:S

BillyVance

***I'm wondering if the dumb Amazon driver has been just plugging the address into a GPS, then dropping the packages at whatever house he is in front of when the GPS announces he has arrived at the destination...and not bothering to read the number on the front of the house.:S

Yeah, even GPS shows my house a good 200-300 yards down the street from where it actually is, but at least there aren't any other houses near that point. It's why when I'm expecting someone to come and know when they're showing up and they haven't been to my house before, they blow right by my driveway, then a couple minutes later, pull in after turning around at the next side street. :D:S

The GPS no doubt is very accurate at determining where it is within a few feet. The error is in the database or algorithm it uses to figure where your house is.

kallend

******I'm wondering if the dumb Amazon driver has been just plugging the address into a GPS, then dropping the packages at whatever house he is in front of when the GPS announces he has arrived at the destination...and not bothering to read the number on the front of the house.:S

The GPS no doubt is very accurate at determining where it is within a few feet. The error is in the database or algorithm it uses to figure where your house is.

I have a friend in nowhere, Montana. If you put his address in Google maps; it'll take you approximately a mile and a half on the wrong side of the river. However, he usually gives out long/lat which takes you right to his property. Fortunately, him living in nowhere, Montana - the UPS/FedEx drivers know who he is and where he lives, so he got my gift with no problem. Moral of the story: Try Nowhere, Montana rather than Chicago. ;) Course, I didn't see a dropzone till I road down through Moab.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

kallend

A really infuriating experience a few years ago was when I was using my Jeeps GPS (made by Alpine and using Navteq map) to get to Union Station in Denver. Or more specifically, the temporary station they were using while Union Station was being remodeled.

While following the turn-by-turn instructions, I arrived at the same intersection I had just left a few minutes earlier. The goddamned thing was taking me in a loop! So I pulled out my iPhone and pulled up Apple Maps. It took me directly to the station. Now bear in mind this was around the same time that Apple was being bashed over the errors in Apple Maps.

A few months later, I had a similar issue finding the recycling center in Boulder. Stupid GPS took me to an empty road about a 1/2 mile North of town and announced that I had reached my destination. I pulled out the iPhone again and it took me directly to the center which was about 3/4 mile South and off on a side street.