rynodigsmusic

preventing line twists??

Ok, I know that there aint much we can do if there aint much we can do about it, but...

I have been noticing on the sabre2 especially that it is actually possible for me to hold the risers apart and sort of turn with the canopy to prevent line twists. I am sure that you know what I am talking about. However, I didnt start to think that there was anything wrong with that until recently when I started to think about it.

There are some people who suggest that you should just let the canopy open the way it is going to open. If it is opening the way I want it to I dont really do much but look at it with my hands on the risers. But it only seems logical to me to "help" it if I see something going wrong on opening. Am I wrong in doing this??? So far it has worked quite well and given me a new found confidence on deployment.

I would really like to hear that it is ok to do, but, with this sport as unforgiving as it can be, I need to have all of the facts even if I dont like them!

Also, arent all ZP canopys considered to be Ram Air canopys??? I really dont know???

Thanks yall, Ryan.....Oh, I am loaded at any given time from about 1.13-1.1
"We didn't start the fire"

grabbing all the risers (two in each hand) and pulling wide on deployment will help, but part of the question (or answer) might be in either the packing job or the position of your body on deployment.
Are you sure you're not twisting your body, or shifting your angle at pull? When you pack, are you keeping lines even and equal in your tray? Are you leaving enough line between the last stoe and the risers?
For a while, I was packing my lines reasonably tight from riser to stoe, and was experiencing line twist on almost every jump until a person at the DZ watched me pack (I'd mentioned my twists), and he pointed out that I needed more than just 10-12" of line. So, I dropped a line stoe, and problem went away. Maybe that will help?

I have a question here I hope you guys can help me with after reading this post. I have been told to never reach for the risers until the canopy is open. I was also told not to look up for the deployment until I feel resistance from the canopy as it is deploying. The reason being that line twists could trap your hands in case of a mal or twisting risers locking your head back. In either case resulting in injury or worse, hands tied up and not being able to deal with Ep's.
Any comments greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Blues...
I'm fine...crazy people don't know they're crazy...No,Really!

So what about this idea of Wings -

there is a triangular flap on the top of the bag that is stitched to the bridle at the apex of the triangle. This transfers load from a single point at the centre of the bag to all along the width of the bag. In fact every student container had this at my first DZ.

I like it. Any of you guru's out there got any for or against on the subject of whether it is a good idea or whether it works.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

So what about this idea of Wings -

there is a triangular flap on the top of the bag that is stitched to the bridle at the apex of the triangle. This transfers load from a single point at the centre of the bag to all along the width of the bag. In fact every student container had this at my first DZ.

I like it. Any of you guru's out there got any for or against on the subject of whether it is a good idea or whether it works.

I've got a Wings container w/o that style of bag, and I've never had a problem with line-twists (other than the ones caused by me).

Also, arent all ZP canopys considered to be Ram Air canopys??? I really dont know???

ZP and Ram Air refer to different things. ZP is the fabric that some canopies are made of (as opposed to F111 is still used for others). Ram Air refers to the shape of the canopy, ie with a top and bottom skin and cells which are inflated as the air rams into them (that sound :S is that really how that term came about?) rather than round shape.

I have not heard of a non-Ram Air canopy made of ZP, but there are lots of things I haven't heard of so doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe