peek

Rich Luttrell

Rich was a member of the Mid America Sport Parachute Club in Taylorville, IL. He passed away Saturday from some type of intestinal infection and after surgery. He was a Vietnam veteran and someone that many of us are proud to have known. Just a month of so ago I went on a demo jump with him where he flew in the American flag.

http://www.theluttrells.com/Misc.html

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sj-r/obituary.aspx?n=richard-a-luttrell&pid=146502065

From the obituary:

Richard A. Luttrell, 62, of Rochester, died at 1:45 pm, Saturday, November 6, 2010 at Memorial Medical Center. He was born September 6, 1948 in Springfield, IL to Donald E. and Wilma Jean Noyes Luttrell. He married Carole L. Jenkins on November 23, 1968 and she survives. Also surviving is a daughter, Christina (Partner Linda Davis) Luttrell of Springfield; two grandchildren Ashley (David Nossem) Schwien of Springfield and Brittany Schwien of Springfield; one great-grandchild Mahkayla; three sisters Rita Walker of Springfield, Barb Owens of Elba, AL and Janet Banning of Springfield; 1 brother Ed Luttrell of Springfield and several aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins. His parents; one daughter Carole Michelle Mackanin and one brother Kenneth Luttrell preceded him in death.

Richard was a lifelong resident of the Springfield area and resided in Rochester the past 20 years. He was an avid sky diver, a member of the USPA (United States Parachute Association) with a pro-rating, and a member of the Midwest Parachute Club in Taylorville. Mr. Luttrell served in the Army during Vietnam '67-'68, in the 2/327 Separate, A Company, 101st Airborne Division. He was a lifetime member of the VFW 755 and the Military Order of the Purple Heart Association. Richard was an avid fisherman and a past member of the Sangamon County Interveterans Burial Detail. He was active with the fundraising and completion of the Vietnam Memorial at Oak Ridge Cemetery and traveled to Vietnam 3 times after the war ended. He appeared on Dateline in 2000. Richard retired from the State of Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs, as a Public Information Officer in 2002. He also worked at the IDPA and Meadow Gold Dairy.

Visitation: 4-7 pm, Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at Staab Funeral Home.

Funeral: 11:00 a.m., Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at Staab Funeral Home, Pastor Mark Gifford officiating. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery where military honors will be conducted.

Memorials may be made to the 101st Airborne Division Association.

I am glad that you started this thread Gary! I saw Rich every year at the WFFC, but never really got a chance to get to know him until after the end of it.
He was truly a gentleman, and he loved the air more than almost anybody I know!
At an MASPC boogie a couple of years ago, he bought me breakfast at the EAA breakfast fly-in down the tarmac, and this year at the same boogie, I couldn't find him until after the breakfast was over. I promised him I would buy him breakfast next year, and it makes me sad to think that it won't happen now[:/]/
He was a terrific and humble guy, and will be missed by many. The way he lived his life was a good example to us all.

skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Thanks Gary for starting this. Rich was truely one of the good ones. One of the few that touched all he came in contact with. A man whos actions spoke so much louder than words can ever say,

Ive been trying to come up with the words to describe him and havent been able to do so. My son who is in Iraq right now, sent me a message when he heard the news and wanted all to hear what he had to say, I think he said it best and it really lets a person know what kind of person Rich really was

To Richie...Blue ones brother ...Ill cya on the other side

First off id like to introduce myself to everybody some of you may know me and some of you may not but i am Cory Meade and id like to say sorry to everybody for not being able to attend his services. I knew richie for many years and all the years i knew him for id never seen him mad he always had a smile on his face that brightend the sky. When i was younger i always looked forward to the weekend because i knew that i would get to visit with rich and hear all of his amazing stories that he had to tell. every saturday i would wake up wondering what story richie had that he was gunna tell that day. I have very many amazing memories about him that i will never forget. one of the most memorable part of my life was when i went to basic training in Fort Benning Geogia and i asked him to pin my infantry cord on me he was so excited and couldnt wait to do so and when the day came he showed up to my graduation with that big smile that all of us remember him haveing. then the drill sgts called for the people to pin on the cord and rich stood in front of me again with a huge smile and tears in his eyes from excitment he went to pin me, being as happy as he was he put my cord on the wrong arm and we all laughed but he fixed it and gave me a big huge hug and told me how happy he was for me. To speak the truth i dont think that i would have been the man that i am without rich in my life. He was a huge influence on my life and anytime that i had to make a big decision i always wanted his point of view. Rich did alot of things for many people and i know alot of us can say that since we met rich weve all met the most perfect person that anybody could have been. They say that you meet people for Reasons, Seasons, and Lifetimes well again i think i speak for all of us when i say that Rich was a lifetime. it doesnt matter if you knew him for a day or 40 years he brightend your life and made it better. i know that he made me realize how valuable life really is i can honestly say that without him i wouldnt be the same and i thank him for makeing me a better person. To end this i send all of my prayers and love in my heart to Carol and Riches family and friends. Now i want you to do what Richie would have wanted all of us to do and go have a drink and celebrate the life of Rich Luttrell and what wonderful life he brought among all of us. Rich your gone but never forgotten Blue skies forever brutha

Nicely put Cory.
Rich had too many facets in his life to put in one post. All of us have pretty similar stories about him.
He was/is one of the best friends I have. I feel privileged to have known such a dynamic man. It's a loss that hits hard.
I'll never forget the look on his face when he made his first dock. I don't think I've ever had a student since that had that big of a smile.
To Rich, You will always be in my memories and your positive attitude in times good and bad, I'll try to emulate.
Blue Skies Buddy!!!
To Cory, try to be safe over there in the sandbox. I want to have a beer with ya when you get home.

I saw the nbctv show about his Viaetnam experience, and I couldnt stop the tears. I hope they show it again and the world knows the great loss when he died.

It should be shown at schools, and anywhere else it will awaken the American conscience.

A truly great man, a wonderful story.

If NBC plans on sshowing it, please post beforehand so we can once again see a :"REAL AMERICAN" at his best

Bill Cole D-41 Canada.