scooterskydives

Spinning malfunction

Alright, so I don't post much on here but I'll share this with everyone...
After years and years of jumping a sabre 107 and not wanting to get a elliptical because of the spin up line twist have to cut away possibility. I tested out a velocity 96 and loved the openings and the landings are fun. I decide I should retire the ol' ragged out sabre that has thousands of jumps on it and get a new parachute, which I haven't had in 11 years.
So here I've been jumping it for about 3 weeks now and I had line twist on it one other time and they were fine. I guess just learning how to sit right in the saddle as it opens and not grab riser as it opens.
Well, on the 4th of July I had line twist again and I thought for a brief second I could clear them but HERE WE GO!! That parachute took off like crazy!!!!

Now It wasn't my first malfunction, having 3 previous sport mals and 14 tandem mals. But let me tell you I have never experienced any thing like that..... So I put my hands on my handles and went to pull the cut away and it was a really hard pull so I had to take my hand off the reserve to help pull the cut away and with no rsl (had it taken off for video jumps) had to get to the reserve and pull ( heart pounding really fast) I was still open under reserve by 2k, because I pull higher jumping a new canopy. I suffered a riser smack on my face and neck and a really hard opening on the reserve.

I'll get back on the saddle and Im sure it won't be the last time that ever happens but now I think I want my rsl put back on and I know everyone has there opinions on rsl's, and also maybe get a different reserve that lands nicer than the dash M.
WOW, what an experience..
Thanks Mark for the save and getting the main back after I just wanted to get back to the dropzone and land after that, and Geno for retrieving my free back out of the tree..... your captain is on its way!!!
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP

I guess just learning how to sit right in the saddle as it opens and not grab riser as it opens.

I find that 'going with her' is far more comfortable and easy than fighting her with risers. That said I do keep my hands on them and have saved myself from more than one spinner by catching her before she takes off.

Sounds like a 'fun' mal ;), glad everything worked out ok.

Blues!
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Hmm, spinners - never quite the fun ride they are talked up to be.
Glad to hear all went relativly well (aside from a riser smack or two). :)It said you jump a Jav - is it one of the newer ones with hard inserts or older ones without? Mini rings or large ones on the release?

Tammy,

Are you saying that you DO have riser inserts? And you still had a hard cutaway?

On another note, my first few cutaways were two handed (one on cutaway, one on reserve), until that bit me in the ass. After that it's always been a two handed cutaway. Just food for thought.

Congrats on the Velo. They are fun to fly. I just switched over from 2000 jumps on Stilettos... lovin' it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

what is it that causes spinning mals on high performance canopies to dive toward the ground like that? ive had twists once on a pilot 170 (maybe 3 or 4) and it flew just like it normally would (except the end-cells were closed), even though my head was being pressed to my chest by them. so why to elliptical canopies react so much more violently?

It almost seems like an insult for a newbie tosser giving a skygod info, but I had a spin up and a cutaway last year on a Sabre 2. From talking about it to others that have had high speed spinning mals, the longer it takes to cutaway the harder it gets because of G. I ended up using 2 hands too. But literally the instant I cut away the RSL got my reserve out before I even got my hands up to it. I was spat out of the spin and my reserve opened bang on heading.

Note to self - keep the RSL!

Never an insult to give anyone info.
I had my rsl off because I use to shoot video.
I got my freshly packed rig back today complete with rsl and got back in the saddle :P
Still, I just love my new canopy B| she's just a whole different animal.
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP