Niki1

Impeachment

How is the term properly used?
Am I correct in saying that Pres. Johnson (the after Lincoln) was impeached by the House and acquitted by the Senate? Pres. Clinton was impeached by the House and found guilty by the Senate but he was not removed from office.

So impeachment doesn't necessarily mean removal from office?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Impeachment means the House has voted to bring charges against the official.

Then a trial is held in the Senate with the Chief Justice of SCOTUS presiding.
If the Senate votes to convict, then the official is removed from office.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

SkyDekker

Just for clarity, with regards to presidents. Only 2 have been impeached:

Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. Both were acquitted by the Senate.

I don't know where I was or what I was thinking. If a Democratic Senate acquitted Clinton, (who was demonstrably guilty of lying under oath) then I don't see a Republican Senate convicting Trump.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

If a Democratic Senate acquitted Clinton...

There were only 45 Democrats in the Senate at the time. Hardly a Democratic Senate. Five Republicans voted with the Democrats to acquit on the obstruction of justice charge.

Maybe they realized the damage to the country from impeaching the President for lying in answer to a question he never should have been asked wasn't worth it.

- Dan G

SkyDekker

Just for clarity, with regards to presidents. Only 2 have been impeached:

Richard Nixon was on his way to being impeached when he decided to resign over the Watergate cover up scandal.

nolhtairt

***Just for clarity, with regards to presidents. Only 2 have been impeached:

Richard Nixon was on his way to being impeached when he decided to resign over the Watergate cover up scandal.

True, which is what I personally think Trump would do.

>True, which is what I personally think Trump would do.

I am thinking more and more that he will avail himself of the 25th amendment when the pressure gets too much. That way he doesn't have to admit that he couldn't hack it.

SkyDekker

******Just for clarity, with regards to presidents. Only 2 have been impeached:

True, which is what I personally think Trump would do.

Nixon was a crook but he wasn't stupid, so he knew when to fold.
Nothing about Drumpf makes me think he would see when it's a lost cause.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

billvon

>True, which is what I personally think Trump would do.

I am thinking more and more that he will avail himself of the 25th amendment when the pressure gets too much. That way he doesn't have to admit that he couldn't hack it.

Section 3 of the 25th has only been used on a temporary basis and appears to only be meant for that. Would be interesting since he would be able to resume being president at any time during the original term.

impeaching the President for lying in answer to a question he never should have been asked wasn't worth it.

As I was watching the proceedings on TV; I thought the same thing. I even talked to hi through the TV and said, "You don't have to answer that." But, being the good attorney that he is... Didn't follow my advice. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Trump narcissism will not allow him to resign, ever. He is simply never wrong, nor can he possibly be wrong. Even if he was impeached and removed from office, he would go to his grave going on and on and on about how great he was and how fake it all is.

He knows everything and all things, and he is amazingly great no matter what the situation is. Even in defeat, he will still be 'Yuge'