mostwanted

how to fly and properly pilot a 7-cell canopy

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2343010#2343010
:

The Raven is a great BASE Canopy for any knowledgable BASE jumper. Unless you are some kind of BASE wanbee-pussy with 2 pierced rings in your lower-lip with only a 150 skydives and have no knowledge of HOW to FLY and Properly Pilot a 7-cell Canopy. But if you are or anywhere like this kind of Canopy Deficient FuckUp you shouldn't be BASE jumping anyway. Stay the hell away from BASE jumping & Go back to your mandatory assigned USPA dive coach and suck his Tit.

my question: how to fly and properly pilot a 7-cell canopy (when skydiving)?

PS: i bought a Super Raven III (250 jumps - DOM 3/1989 - wingload 0.7) to jump/fly it as my main when skydiving.

> Canopy Deficient FuckUp... lol -> tell us what your really think...

I learnt two things I didn't know you could use that canopy as main or a base canopy - there you go.

The best place for information is your DZ and instructors that are familar with your abilities. I'm 100% sure somone will chime in and say take a canopy class. The quickest place for [mis?]information is dropzone.com. Check out the the gear reviews for some 7cells:

Raven
http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/27.html

Triathlon is 7cell main
http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/36.html
Blue Dreams Benno

my question: how to fly and properly pilot a 7-cell canopy (when skydiving)?

The same way you fly and properly pilot any main canopy, I'd think.

If you don't have it already, pick up a copy of Brain Germain's "Parachute and it's Pilot." Don't just read it, actually go up and do the drills he suggests.

A canopy control course is a good idea as well.

Large 7 cells do fly and land differently then smaller 7 cells. Both also fly differently then 9 cell canopies. With large 7 cells you can get them to stop or even fly backwards (excelent skills needed for BASE) but its really really hard to do that with a loaded 9 cell. The flaring is slightly different in actual application too. Theory is the same of continue to burn off decent rate for horizantial lift, but the speed and other factors can change on the 7 cell since the 9 cell goes into level flight much easier.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com