brenthutch

Obama's legacy

The best part about this? HRC is going to be the one who ends up fixing it. After the debacle of her first efforts on health care in the 90s the irony is just a thing of beauty.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

And she will do this with a Republican House [:/]

Yup, she and they will simply have to. What is the alternative? You have the vision to see the coming collapse, but you lack any idea of what happens next. Expanded Medicare, by another name, but that's what it will be. Massive popular federal programs like Medicare and Social Security, and Obama Care don't ever end once started. You know it's true.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

"At least 1.4 million people in 32 states will lose the Obamacare plan they have now, according to state officials contacted by Bloomberg."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-14/more-than-1-million-in-obamacare-to-lose-plans-as-insurers-quit

It seems one may not even keep their Obamacare plan if they like it.

Yes, health care in the US is pretty good. The health insurance programs in the US are pretty bad. Obamacare can not succeed as presently structured.

gowlerk

Yes, health care in the US is pretty good. The health insurance programs in the US are pretty bad. Obamacare can not succeed as presently structured.

As one of the authors stated, it was never intended to succeed.

Now he is defending it saying nothing is wrong with it.

Most likely until the election is over I would guess.....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

pretty much sums it up. Greatest healthcare system in the world but only if you can afford it.

I predicted when ACA was implemented that it will fail.

Making people pay for insurance they cannot afford. If they could have afforded it BEFORE the ACA, then they would have. We accomplish nothing by forcing people to buy ridiculous priced policies and that reality is going to slap me in the face in another 4 weeks.

However sitting here bitching about the ACA as the reason for insurance price hikes is equally ridiculous. My insurance was $175/month in 1996, and was $400/month in 2012. That is 6% per year compounding, way ahead of CPI or inflation.

Health care costs have been spiraling out of control for years, not just since the ACA came into play.

Next year I will likely have to pay $700-$900/month to get a crap policy. I may very well chose not to. I am in that "over 40, over 50 but not qualifying for medicare yet" crowd, the most fucked of all it would seem.

The solution? Take all those 'penalties', turn it into income tax, install a public health CARE system, not a public health INSURANCE system by combining the VA, medicare, medicaid and start closing the age gap.

Create jobs by building more public hospitals, clinics, and providing education incentives for public health education and training, degree and technical programs.

Leave the private system in place for those that have the money and want it, but EVERYONE pays into the public system.

A public system is the only solution that is viable and the only solution that is affordable.

Yep. Obama's legacy will be demolished. That will include Obamacare and his efforts on climate change. It will also include his efforts to rebuild the economy and reign in government spending. Expect a new recession, if not depression, and the debt to go through the roof.

Congrats.

- Dan G

Well, Obamacare as it stood will end. However, we won't go back to the same old broken-worse non-system we had before. There were a lot of people who were helped by it. They may be helped less by whatever new alternative comes along, but the hue and cry that will go up if it's all just stopped would be pretty big.

All those companies that ended their coverage plans because of Obamacare will have to either get new plans or face employees who now feel screwed over by their employers instead of by congress. Etc.

Well see what happens.

I agree on immigration. I wish people would figure out that an improving economy helps the situation more than punishing people.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

brenthutch

***The best part about this? HRC is going to be the one who ends up fixing it. After the debacle of her first efforts on health care in the 90s the irony is just a thing of beauty.

I agree, the irony is just a thing of beauty.

The irony has merely moved on. Now Paul Ryan will have to fix it. All those positive changes will not be undone. Remember, Obamacare is really Romneycare.

gowlerk

******The best part about this? HRC is going to be the one who ends up fixing it. After the debacle of her first efforts on health care in the 90s the irony is just a thing of beauty.

I agree, the irony is just a thing of beauty.

The irony has merely moved on. Now Paul Ryan will have to fix it. All those positive changes will not be undone. Remember, Obamacare is really Romneycare.

Obamacare will be replaced.

Care to make a bet?
Abraham Lincoln

Care to make a bet?

Yes it will. It will have a new name and a new funding method. But what will not happen is millions of people losing their insurance.

gowlerk

Care to make a bet?

Yes it will. It will have a new name and a new funding method. But what will not happen is millions of people losing their insurance.

It will not be federally or state funded
It will be private companies.
State insurance boundaries will be ended
Health saving plans will be allowed
Once the gov is out of it the prices will stabilize or go down
Abraham Lincoln

gowlerk

Call it Medicare or Medicaid, or whatever. Health care will be publicly funded in some way.

No, it will not.
That is not what the voters want.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Call it Medicare or Medicaid, or whatever. Health care will be publicly funded in some way.

No, it will not.
That is not what the voters want.

Politics is still the art of the possible. To borrow from Jagger/Richards like Trump did "You can't Always Get What You Want".