JerryBaumchen

Mayor of London

Hi to all you Brits,

Johnson recalled an oft-repeated (and debunked) story about Obama returning the bust of Winston Churchill to the British embassy in Washington upon taking office.

Is Boris Johnson your version of Canada's Rob Ford?

I'm just curious: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/boris-johnson-obama-kenyan-222303

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi to all you Brits,

Johnson recalled an oft-repeated (and debunked) story about Obama returning the bust of Winston Churchill to the British embassy in Washington upon taking office.

I'm just curious: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/boris-johnson-obama-kenyan-222303

Jerry Baumchen

He seems to be a lying ass. But when I read the story I had to agree with this part of what he said.

"The US guards its democracy with more hysterical jealousy than any other country on earth," he wrote, noting that the U.S. is the only nation to have not signed onto two separate United Nations conventions, on children's rights and women's emancipation.

"For the United States to tell us in the UK that we must surrender control of so much of our democracy — it is a breathtaking example of the principle of do-as-I-say-but-not-as-I-do," Johnson wrote. "It is incoherent. It is inconsistent, and yes it is downright hypocritical. The Americans would never contemplate anything like the EU, for themselves or for their neighbours in their own hemisphere. Why should they think it right for us?"

Of course he misses the point that the US does not care what is right for the UK, it cares what is right for the US. As it should.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

JerryBaumchen

Hi to all you Brits,

Jerry Baumchen

Have you seen his hair? More like The Donald.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

He’s a tousled-hair buffoon. His background is journalism and appearances on low-brow UK game shows. I’d say he’s inherently more dangerous in a mayoral position than someone like Rob Ford. I believe he’s “done” in the next election.

He’s American born with dual citizenship; you’re welcome to have him back.

With the mindset of “a little knowledge is dangerous”, I remember being at a cocktail event that had some recent Oxford graduates. In speaking with them, I asked one of the young men “what sector are planning to go into”. His reply was “I plan to get a job in the City* for about a year then get into politics; maybe run for a seat”. I look at him in disgust thinking to myself that during a year in the city he will learn little more than how his boss likes his Starbucks coffee, then this wunderkind will go into politics with “experience in financial markets” on his CV – exact example of why politicians are usually shit; what type of person would actually want to be one.

* "The City" is the UK euphemism for financial sector synonymous with the term “Wall Street” as used in the US
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

gowlerk

...Of course he misses the point that the US does not care what is right for the UK, it cares what is right for the US. As it should.

True. But when "what is right for the US" turns into stuff like Iran (coup that overthrew an elected leader and installed the Shah), Chile (elected leader assassinated by the CIA), Panama (dictator installed and supported by the US, at least until he pissed us off too much), Argentina (vicious and brutal military dictatorship supported by the US), much of Central America (vicious and brutal dictatorships installed & supported so that US fruit companies could make more profit), and on and on and on.

You start to wonder.
And, of course, they don't teach much of this in public schools. It undermines the concept of "American Exceptionalism".
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It may have been posted here or I may have stumbled across it coincidentally but one of John Stewart's last segments was on how Congress despises every single form of international treaty or agreement until they want to bomb or invade someone - then they wave the 'coalition of the willing' flag and shout it from the rooftops.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Try reading "Confessions of a Corporate Hit-Man."
The book explains how major banks, investment brokers, etc. " loan money to 3rd World elites. Planners inflate forecasts of profits, which rarely happens in reality. Local elites pocket a small share of the profits. Few of the loans result in profitable projects (dams, hydro-electric generators, bridges, factories, oil-
fields, etc.) so the poor, UN-washed masses get saddled with unpayable debt, allowing those banks to dictate policy to that tiny nations' gov't.
It is a viscious cycle that allows the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer.
Local politicians only profit if they are born into the local elite.
OTOH Local dictators enjoy short, exciting careers.