The Tolerated Are Intolerant

So marriage is all about families and reproducing?

Not about benefits and rights (insurance, health care decisions, and on and on)?

And of course, gay people can't reproduce or have families.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

markharju

Unfortunately for Matt Walsh, the thing he doesn't realise is that he's already lost. The spine of the homophobic movement has been broken, the status quo has been overturned. All there is left are guys like him standing ankle deep in the water shouting at the tide.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm just passing on someone else's remarks, with which I sympathize to an extent. After all, it's not enough to tolerate that which some might object to - there are business owners who are being destroyed for declining to participate in such matters. It's a form of fascism and intolerance to use threats and force to compel those who do not wish to do so when there are plenty of others who'd gladly take the business. These people are getting death threats in addition to facing financial ruin. I object to that, but according to Kallend, that makes either me or the writer of the blog (I'm not sure which) a Nazi. Pot, meet kettle.

Gay rights, shmay rights. It's the whole totalitarian, fascist "Do as we demand, or else" attitude I have a problem with. Even lots of gays have a problem with it (Google it up), but those voices are silenced or sidelined by the fascists and the media because they don't fit the totalitarian paradigm.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Andy9o8

Really, Mark? You want someone like this to be a vehicle for the public face you put across here?
As you wish, but it seems you're having a bit of a Rumplestiltskin moment.

Color me clueless here but I'm not seeing the relationship between social commentary and fairy tale....

mh

Andy9o8

Well then I guess not everyone can sit at your lunch counter.
You do know it's no longer 1962, don't you?

The smallest minority is a single individual.

mh

A business is not the same as a person. In the days before the Internet and constant mobility and job changing, a business in a small town could be pretty sure of who it's clientele was going to be. That's no longer true. No amount of wishing and sticking of the head in sand will. Hangs that.
There are lots of benefits to the world as it is. We have to take what some consider to be the downsides with them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There are lots of benefits to the world as it is. We have to take what some consider to be the downsides with them.

Wendy P.

Does that include death threats?

mh

markharju

"Your Fascism is Showing" Perhaps a better illustration will help (see attached).

mh

markharju

I'm just passing on someone else's remarks, with which I sympathize to an extent. After all, it's not enough to tolerate that which some might object to - there are business owners who are being destroyed for declining to participate in such matters. It's a form of fascism and intolerance to use threats and force to compel those who do not wish to do so when there are plenty of others who'd gladly take the business. These people are getting death threats in addition to facing financial ruin. I object to that, but according to Kallend, that makes either me or the writer of the blog (I'm not sure which) a Nazi. Pot, meet kettle.

Gay rights, shmay rights. It's the whole totalitarian, fascist "Do as we demand, or else" attitude I have a problem with. Even lots of gays have a problem with it (Google it up), but those voices are silenced or sidelined by the fascists and the media because they don't fit the totalitarian paradigm.

mh

Nein nein nein
http://www.rense.com/general37/char.htm

Here's an example of how stupid the cult of the individual has become.

A t-shirt printer has now been told that he can follow his religious beliefs...a t-shirt printer.

story

This should never have happened. If this person wasn't allowed a conscience, then it logically follows that a gay-owned t-shirt business would be forced to comply if a bible thumper demanded that the business print "God Hates Fags" t-shirts. What happened to tolerance?

mh

markharju

Here's an example of how stupid the cult of the individual has become.

A t-shirt printer has now been told that he can follow his religious beliefs...a t-shirt printer.

story

This should never have happened. If this person wasn't allowed a conscience, then it logically follows that a gay-owned t-shirt business would be forced to comply if a bible thumper demanded that the business print "God Hates Fags" t-shirts. What happened to tolerance?

mh

Does the Constitution protect the rights of "Individuals" from the tyranny of the many????

This is America. People can (and do) sue about any stupid thing they can.

I know Andy -- it's a win-win situation :ph34r:

In this case, I'd have to say that the business owner was fine in any social context. Not as sure about the legal one, but I'd certainly give him a ton of credit for being classy while sticking to what he thinks. Yeah, I disagree with his opinion, but I haven't gotten the T-shirt yet saying that my opinion is the only one that counts. Maybe he'll print it for me :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jakee

Unfortunately for Matt Walsh, the thing he doesn't realise is that he's already lost. The spine of the homophobic movement has been broken, the status quo has been overturned. All there is left are guys like him standing ankle deep in the water shouting at the tide.

I only read part of the article before reading the posts in this thread...and honest to God, I thought you said "All there is left are gays like him standing ankle deep in the water shouting at the tide."

...funny, I think I agree with both statements...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

there are business owners who are being destroyed for declining to participate in such matters. It's a form of fascism and intolerance to use threats and force to compel those who do not wish to do so when there are plenty of others who'd gladly take the business. These people are getting death threats in addition to facing financial ruin.

I've seen quite a few people play the "these businesses are being destroyed for no reason!" argument. It's quite cheeky. Here is the deal-- you may argue that these businesses have freedom of association, right? Serve who they want and operate how they want. Decisions come with consequences, and all because you have the legal right to do something (IE: these businesses have a right to refuse service to gay customers thanks to the religious liberty law), does not always make it the right thing to do. So, operate your business how you see fit, but your decisions will effect your business. If I run a diner and don't want to open on the weekends, then I can't complain when I get pissed off customers who will avoid my business all together because I am not open to them on the weekends when they really want to come in. If you don't want to serve gay customers, then be prepared for some customers to take issue with that. Your business decisions will have reactions from customers. For this latest snafu, you legally are allowed to do this, but it won't save you from the court of public (customer) opinion. And in the age of internet and over the top media, word can spread fast.

As for the death threats, this easily happens on both sides of the issue-- and when it does, I feel like it's the minority in terms of the reaction. Doesn't make it right on either side, but I would say the numbers are most definitely a tiny minority. Rather, most people are just choosing to not frequent that business, and are vocal about their choice and rallying with others who believe the same. Simple action and reaction.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)